Author Topic: Sigs Question  (Read 29932 times)

themaskeduser

Re: Sigs Question
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2005, 11:09:19 »
in addition to that, it's amazing how you can see your dog run for days ;)
closest town was Brandon, too bad my platoon never got a chance to go there

it's all good as long as you have a couple of good buddies to hang out with in Shilo

Offline Beadwindow 7

• Life is cruel, and I am but a small slice of life
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • ZBM2
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2005, 11:12:51 »
The weather in Shilo was wierd. You look at the clouds, and sometimes wonder if the end of the world is coming, just the shape and color of them. Then you go out for a run in the morning, in late July, you're in shorts, and by the time you finish you're 6k, There's snow on the ground. It's bloody hot, and they it rains a bloody lot... plus if you do get the chance to get off base, you get to go to Brandon Manitoba, a great Hubbub of human civilization...

If you go, I highly suggest not even going to Brandon, unless you're desperate.

Also, I think they hid all the hills in Manitoba in the Shilo Training area. It's like you drive in and , whoa, where did all these hills come from?

And who loves trenches in Shilo? ooh, I love sand  ;D
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2005, 11:23:42 »
As I earlier added what I was told about Shilo when I was going there for recruit training, let me add as one who was there on a number of course both as an officer and an other rank (old term for ncm), that on course you usually are too busy to worry about the off duty world. Sure it would be nice to enjoy the bright lights and the easy access to wine, woman and song, but . . .

Beig posted there is another matter. I had a three year posting to Shilo and enjoyed it, but I had a good job and worked with some exceptional people. Many years ago I read that life is like a septic tank in that what you get out of it depends to a very large extent upon what you put into it. You can be happy in Shilo and miserable in Edmonton. It all depends on you.

Watch out for the poison ivy.

Offline RossF

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2005, 16:06:17 »
Does anyone have any pictures of Shilo they'd like to share? Or do any of you know of a website I can find some?

thanks,

-Ross

Offline GypsyPronto

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2005, 16:08:47 »
Does anyone have any pictures of Shilo they'd like to share? Or do any of you know of a website I can find some?

I would give you some, but they aren't really of Shilo persay...and kinda inappropriate. lol
Shilo isn't to bad. It was cold during the summer, snow some days, but we had a good time. And it's even better when you go back as staff....good times there...lol

Offline Andy_d

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2005, 23:49:02 »
Shilo truly is not that bad.. 2 months there and a time you will not easily forget. Everything said about it is true, its got its good and bad points. Whoever said that about the hills is damn right. Suddenly you're in the training area and you're doing a night combat patrol down a steep incline where you're grabbing trees in the rain just so you dont slide all the way down and you're like where the heck did this thing come from.

I have some pictures from last summer, are you applying for 705 Ross? If so I'll get them for you when you arrive at the unit.
Better be despised for too anxious apprehensions, than ruined by too confident security.
-Edmund Burke

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2005, 00:28:50 »
Shilo isn't to bad. It was cold during the summer, snow some days, but we had a good time.

For the purpose of reference of the original poster asking the question... cold in Shilo is NOT the norm... Manitoba has a freak summer last summer... that being said, even if somone tells you to do somthing stupid, like not bring the liner for your combat jacket, because you won't need it, don't listen to them...better to have it and not wear it, then to not have it and end up freezing.

Offline Theoat

• Rate Post
  • Private
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2005, 00:40:23 »

thanks,

-Ross

Hopefully this link works for you. It was created for our bmq/sq platoon from last summer.  http://basic0401.smugmug.com/

Offline Cpl Bloggins

• Reservist
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2005, 12:17:48 »
... cold in Shilo is NOT the norm... Manitoba has a freak summer last summer...

Tell me about it, when I heard it snowed last summer we were all shocked. The summer before was HOT, got up to 50 degrees some days. And it rained like 3 times the entire summer. Freakish Manitoba weather...
VVV

Offline Cpl Bloggins

• Reservist
  • Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2005, 16:38:26 »
Hopefully this link works for you. It was created for our bmq/sq platoon from last summer.   http://basic0401.smugmug.com/

I was just looking through some of those pictures, and my mouth dropped open. That place is WAY too green to be Shilo.

Also, WRT to the hills in the trg area, I remember someone explaining that it used to be an artillery range back in the day.

VVV

Offline RossF

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2005, 18:41:47 »
Thanks for the pictures..

Well I went today and did my CFAT, and I qualified for all MOCs, did my interview, that went well also, did my medical, got just a couple minor kinks to work out with that by the end of this week, then I go for my fitness test on May 11th, then I wait for a call from the comm unit (hopefully)...Things are looking really good so far!

Offline Radop

• VVV
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2005, 20:25:59 »
I was just looking through some of those pictures, and my mouth dropped open. That place is WAY too green to be Shilo.

Also, WRT to the hills in the trg area, I remember someone explaining that it used to be an artillery range back in the day.

The last time I looked, the base was still an artillery base but the infantry is now moving in.  As far back as I remember, the guns were there.  As for green, snow does melt and grass is green in the early summer.
Radop
VVV
-----------------------
The Cnd soldier loves to *****, it is the leaders responsibility to determine whether that bitching is good natured fun or a serious problem that needs dwelving into.

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2005, 03:08:37 »
Shilo is actually a beautiful place if you've got an open mind... nothing like a section attack through a field of poison ivy ;)

Offline Beadwindow 7

• Life is cruel, and I am but a small slice of life
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • ZBM2
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2005, 10:19:14 »
Wow..Those pictures bring back memories, Theoat. Mostly of you're guys' course party, and us having to carry the majority of you to your beds....We actually had orders from our Platoon Sgt to do it...
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline mainerjohnthomas

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2005, 00:17:45 »
Ah, Shilo.  I look back on my time in Shilo, and remember they let me leave, so its ok now.....
Anybody currently stationed there, keep the faith, one day you too will leave ;D
When cowards run from death, it is life they escape.