Author Topic: MARS Officer- Merged Thread  (Read 25914 times)

Offline 85Impala

• Rate Post
MARS Officer- Merged Thread
« on: March 10, 2005, 15:58:57 »
In the coming months I have to decide what MOC I want to choose and I have narrowed it done between MARS and some other choices. I was wondering if there was a MARS officer on here that I could PM, e-mail, add to messenger or just talk to, to get a better idea of life as a MARS officer. Thanks.

Ryan
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Offline jd.trick

• Rate Post
MARS Officer- Merged Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 11:16:13 »
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, but have been visiting Navy.ca for some time and it has been very useful for me; thanks.  I am considering joining the Navy as a MARS officer.  The only thing which is making me hesitate is the amount of time I'm going to have to spend away from home (Halifax).  I understand the probability of being posted to Halifax is high, but how long from the time I begin Basic to the time I end NOTC will I be away from my family?  I've seen all the outlines but they all seem to carry caveats so I was looking for an idea from someone who has gone through this as to how long the combined basic, second language training and NOTC will take?

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
Re: MARS
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 11:41:57 »
All I can say is that if you can't accept leaving your home/hometown don't join the forces. The best time to leave your hometown is when you are young and single, no matter what you do, most interesting jobs require some amount of movement to get rank or seniority. Better to do it now, than when you have a family.

Offline jd.trick

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 11:49:51 »
Thanks for the post.  I understand there will be sacrifices and requirements to move. My question was more focused on if it was going to be necessary to relocate my family initially or if the training aspect away from where we are now (Halifax) is reasonable (I don't know what reasonable is right now, best ask my wife that one) then I would simply go it alone as opposed to moving my family to the west coast only to move back nine months, a year, a year and a half later.  It this timeline I'm trying to get a handle on.

Thanks again

niceasdrhuxtable

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 18:07:33 »
I'm not sure the Navy would be your best choice if your family has an issue with you being away frequently for extended periods. You may want to look more at trades which don't tend to "travel" as much.

Offline Hastings

• Rate Post
MARS Officer "Rapid Career Progression"
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 18:42:23 »
First off.  I apologize for posting this here, if it is the incorrect place to post this.  I'm not familiar with how to properly file posts on this site.

On the forces.ca website it says under the MARS MOC description "Rapid Career Progression".

Does this mean that MARS officers tend to climb the ranks faster than other officer MOC's.  IF two people are just as good at their jobs and one is an INF O and the other MARS O is the MARS O going to be a Leut. Commander prior to the INF O becoming a Major?

Any insight into this would be appreciated if people who are in the know have experience with this.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
Re: MARS Officer "Rapid Career Progression"
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 16:20:21 »
Apples and oranges. Officers and NCMs compete amongst others of their MOCs, not directly against each other in different MOCs. Much depends on the number of available promotions each year in each MOC, which is highly variable. It is very difficult to measure the speed of promotion in different occupations by direct comparison. "Rapid Career Progression" is a nice phrase, but very very subjective.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Hastings

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 22:19:54 »
So the speed at which one could potentially advance through an officer MOC depends on the saturation of the MOC.   So if there weren't many MARS OFFICERS and the CF was trying to beef up its numbers in that MOC that would suggest that it would be easier to "progress".

Do I understand this correctly?

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • dealing with life not that active here anymore
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 22:23:45 »
So the speed at which one could potentially advance through an officer MOC depends on the saturation of the MOC.   So if there weren't many MARS OFFICERS and the CF was trying to beef up its numbers in that MOC that would suggest that it would be easier to "progress".

It also depends on how well you grasp your phase courses as a MARS Officers.
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

Offline Hastings

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 22:27:55 »
By "grasp your phase courses" you mean the quality of officer you are and the skill that you have?

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 22:30:45 »
No....you have differnet levels you must pass before being even considered a MARS officer. You fail one and they may not allow you to move and may release you or remuster you.
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid

Offline Hastings

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 22:35:25 »
Ah... so you are saying. You can't progress the ranks if you don't pass the 12 months of training in Esquimalt and Halifax.

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 22:41:11 »
Where did you get that? Read what I said....search for MARS Officer training here and other sites and you will get your answer.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 23:26:25 »
So the speed at which one could potentially advance through an officer MOC depends on the saturation of the MOC.   So if there weren't many MARS OFFICERS and the CF was trying to beef up its numbers in that MOC that would suggest that it would be easier to "progress".

No, I don't think you do. A smaller MOC would have proportionally fewer promotions in a given year, so movement would therefore be slower in that MOC than in a larger one. However, larger MOCs have more people to comtete against. Promotions are based on merit within one's occupation. Merit is a combination of performance, training, experience, and potential, to name but a few factors.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

aesop081

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 23:28:22 »
You can't progress the ranks if you don't pass the 12 months of training in Esquimalt and Halifax.

Yes. If you dont pass MARS training then you are not qualified. If you are not qualified, you cant progress. Seems rather intuative wouldn't you say ?

Offline Monsoon

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 23:39:57 »
Ah... so you are saying. You can't progress the ranks if you don't pass the 12 months of training in Esquimalt and Halifax.
You'll be constantly evaluated at various levels throughout your career as a MARS officer; the phase training is really only the beginning. Because there's currently a relative shortage of senior MARS officers (thank you, mid-90s Force Reduction Plan), if you are extraordinarily quick to grasp the training and happen to be very capable at the various different and unrelated things that will be expected of you at the different ranks, theoretically you could be rapidly promoted. For the hypothetical superman in question, this would mean achieving command of a heavy and being promoted Commander after - again, theoretically - as few as 13 or 14 years in. But for all practical purposes that just doesn't happen.

Now, having crossed all those hurdles and made it that far, you would definitely have a better chance of making it to, say, Capt(N) or Cmdre than your Log or Int counterparts. But I would suggest that the average entrant is likely to make it to LCdr or Cdr sooner as a LogO or Int O than as a MARS officer. It's just that those trades plateau quickly after that.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 09:09:40 »
Because there's currently a relative shortage of senior MARS officers (thank you, mid-90s Force Reduction Plan),

Um, no.

FRP saw an increase of 2-3% in releases, a marginal impact - it essentially paid out a lot of extra money to folks who, statistically speaking, were going to get out anyways.

The problems we're now seeing are because FRP didn't work - so to hit the reduced Reg Force strength targets, we essentially shut down recruiting for the better part of a decade.  That's where today's shortages come from.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Monsoon

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 18:43:11 »
Touche. Guess that should have been "plan to reduce the forces" rather than "Force Reduction Plan". Either way, we're still dealing with it.

Offline ltmaverick25

• The keyboard is mightier then the sword!
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 04:43:25 »
In my opinion the MARS MOC is the hardest trade to hit LCdr/Major level in the CF.  MARS officers have many more requirements they have to do before LCdr then other trades do.  However, other trades like Int or Log often get stuck at two bars due to the nature of the trade.  They are not command related trades so you wont see many senior officers in those trades.  I would think you have a better shot at hitting 2.5 bars as a MARS officer then you do Int or Log, but, other line officer trades likely move a little faster then MARS does. 

Offline OutWest

• Rate Post
No more MARS recruitment this year?
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 21:55:45 »

I received a phone call today from the local recruitment office (Vancouver), and I was told that there are no more MARS positions available this year. Okay, fair enough.

Here's what's interesting:

Two separate recruitment offices (Edmonton, Vancouver) informed me that the Navy is dying for MARS applicants.

I was told this in September before I moved back to the West Coast, and then again when I submitted my application three weeks ago in Vancouver.

I applied to go in as DEO MARS, but it appears the CF won't be looking to fill any more spots until next March.

I find this odd given the current media attention regarding the Navy's recruitment issues.

Anyone else have any intel on this?

It looks like I can wait until March and then re-apply, or switch my trade to Naval Combat Systems Engineering or Marine Systems Engineering.

MARS is my first choice, but the bottom line is that I have a good education, I want to serve and I want an adventure.

Any advice?

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: No more MARS recruitment this year?
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 22:02:50 »
It's possibly the same situation happening with other trades right now.  It's not that they don't have positions, but the training system is full until the new fiscal year.  They don't want to send you to BMOQ now only to have you sitting for months waiting for trades training.  Chances are, you won't have to reapply in March, they'll just hold your file and update it if required.  As far as going other trades, that's a personal choice, but if you're really set on going MARS, then wait.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 22:07:50 »
You are applying for DEO MARS.  Perhaps all the positions allotted to DEO MARS officer are now filled, while there are still openings for MARS officers under other Entry Plans which you do not qualify for. 
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline armychick2009

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 22:34:41 »
I think they are because they keep offering it to me as an option for DEO ... I just don't like ships (long term, unless necessary), so it's not really a good fit for me :D

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 01:02:59 »
I think they are because they keep offering it to me as an option for DEO ... I just don't like ships (long term, unless necessary), so it's not really a good fit for me :D

How current is this?
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline mellian

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 01:59:14 »
MARS was brought up to me as well back last January and again when I finally submitted my application in June.