Author Topic: Army.ca Chat [merged]  (Read 57322 times)

Offline 9r domestic

• Rate Post
Re: Chat Down
« Reply #125 on: March 08, 2006, 21:18:50 »
I will second that!

Offline Beadwindow 7

• Life is cruel, and I am but a small slice of life
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • ZBM2
« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2006, 21:38:15 »
Somebody getting blamed for breaking something, and it's not me???

HoM did it!!!!
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline MediPea

• Rate Post
« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2006, 21:42:46 »
I did not break it.. I was smart and made the little brother buy me dinner since he was in town..  ;D YAY..

Oh ya Padre...very funny..  :P

Offline BulletMagnet

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm not just disobedient, I'm careful
« Reply #128 on: March 08, 2006, 22:03:16 »
I did not break the chat......

*note to self, delay plan obfuscate by 2 weeks*
"Often have I regretted my speech, never my silence" Cpl Jordan Anderson 1981-2007 RIP

When the going gets tough I take a nap...It's easier that way

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2006, 22:07:31 »
I did not break the chat......

*note to self, delay plan obfuscate by 2 weeks*

It was more than likely Sig_Des...cause he didn't have my computer around to break today... ;)
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline beach_bum

• Fallen Comrade
  • Army.ca Veteran
« Reply #130 on: March 08, 2006, 22:13:26 »
I blame Polkaroo!
Eddie would go!

Offline Trinity

is updating his status. .

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #131 on: March 08, 2006, 22:26:13 »
I blame Polkaroo!

Polkaroo was here?
AND I MISSED HIM AGAIN!?!?  :(
Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a car.

Offline MediPea

• Rate Post
« Reply #132 on: March 08, 2006, 22:31:07 »
Polkaroo was here?
AND I MISSED HIM AGAIN!?!?  :(

Hey...you stole HoM's line!  >:D

Offline Beadwindow 7

• Life is cruel, and I am but a small slice of life
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • ZBM2
« Reply #133 on: March 09, 2006, 00:59:08 »
It was more than likely Sig_Des...cause he didn't have my computer around to break today... ;)

I admit nothing....

Polka Roo is a good one to blame, though...If not Card...Card's devious
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline MediPea

• Rate Post
« Reply #134 on: March 09, 2006, 11:32:55 »
I admit nothing....

Polka Roo is a good one to blame, though...If not Card...Card's devious

Des... what ever gave you that idea?..  ;D

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
Chat Room Etiquette
« Reply #135 on: March 25, 2006, 08:02:02 »
All,

I've noticed a disturbing trend in the chat room recently in that some conversations seem to steer towards innuendo and generally inappropriate topics. Please keep in mind that the chat room was set up for Army.ca users to discuss relevant topics and is subject to all the same Conduct Guidelines that the rest of the site is.

Running a chat room is a bit of a risk in terms of liability, so please let common sense prevail and use the privilege respectfully. If the chat room becomes a problem, it will have to be shut down. I don't think anyone wants that, so please keep it clean and dignified.

Thanks
Mike

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • dealing with life not that active here anymore
Re: Chat Room Etiquette
« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2006, 12:59:11 »
Mike is there a way for the DS to lock down the chat room in case this sort of situation arises?
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

Offline BulletMagnet

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm not just disobedient, I'm careful
« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2006, 13:12:13 »
I can honestly say that I an a culprit of this, and for that I apologise.

I Shall endeavour to keep things and conversation in the right place.

"Often have I regretted my speech, never my silence" Cpl Jordan Anderson 1981-2007 RIP

When the going gets tough I take a nap...It's easier that way

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #138 on: March 25, 2006, 13:23:13 »
You need to be very careful about this, IMO.  If you turn the chat into a church meeting, it will perish.  While I find army talk infinitely interesting, if you want a think tank/study hall atmosphere, may as well shut 'er down now.  ALL chat between groups of adults degenerates to two topics after a while; feces and sex.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #139 on: March 25, 2006, 13:33:39 »
Yes that it does but we also have cadets and interested kids that frequent the chat room so a certain degree of responsibility and decorum should be maintained at all times. In essence folks police yourselves because what it might boil down to is have a chat room open when there is a mod around or willing to host for awhile. We don't want it to go that way and I know the chatters do not but.....
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid

Offline Target Up

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #140 on: March 25, 2006, 13:37:52 »
Then slap an "R" rating on the room, and limit the kids to the cadet forum... They won't see anything in the chat that isn't available to them multiplied tenfold on basic cable....  scan MuchMusic lately?

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #141 on: March 25, 2006, 13:39:30 »
Thats not the purpose of the chat room....if you want to trash talk go to yahoo.

Offline Target Up

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #142 on: March 25, 2006, 13:43:38 »
Yes, that's exactly what I said "release the hounds! poo, fart, peepee!!!"

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #143 on: March 25, 2006, 13:45:59 »
Just follow Mike's Guidelines as he posted above and you won't need to worry.

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #144 on: March 25, 2006, 13:49:46 »
Consider this scenario:

1.  Mike Bobbitt creates army.ca with a chat room
2.  A member comes in and start talking trash and sexual innuendo
3.  Young person (perhaps no age in profile, so who knows) sits reading that content
4.  Young person's mother looks over shoulder and is offended that a site open to young Susie/Johnie has such content openly accessible to her offspring - and no 'agreement to use' criteria is going to be upheld when a minor made such decisions
5.  Mother calls lawyer or RCMP
6.  Mike Bobbitt gets served papers or arrested
7.  Army.ca disappears

Minor risk? - probably. 
Serious consequences (to army.ca) if it happens? - YES.

Is it worth that risk? - Not to those who wish to see army.ca continue.

Offline Trinity

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #145 on: March 25, 2006, 18:08:16 »
I blame Card 11

She's always talking about breasts..  because she raising money for breast cancer.
And when she's done about that, its Brokeback Mountain and how we should see it.
Finally, she been talking about being married to Camochick, which ultimately leads to
lesbian discussion. 

I really am quite disgusted with chat myself and plan not to frequent it again
until this filth is cleaned up.

:P

Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a car.

Offline Chimo

• Rate Post
« Reply #146 on: March 25, 2006, 20:43:33 »
Firstly, I have been guilty as charged however, in my defence, I usually chat in an adult context when it is fairly late at night. Since Mike says clean it up I will. Roger that.

Secondly, Trinity whats with slamming Camo and Card? I am unsure if you meant it as a  joke or as some kind of example. I enjoy both of their comments.

We are as Kat pointed out adults and I have even mentioned breasts in front of my children now and then...usually in the context of, please pass the chicken breasts. However the mention of female breast is not a bad thing particular with Camo and Card's goal of raising money for cancer research.  :salute:
All my heroes are soldiers...and all my soldiers are heroes.

Offline beach_bum

• Fallen Comrade
  • Army.ca Veteran
« Reply #147 on: March 25, 2006, 22:57:01 »
Firstly, I have been guilty as charged however, in my defence, I usually chat in an adult context when it is fairly late at night. Since Mike says clean it up I will. Roger that.

I'll second that one.
Eddie would go!

Offline bobthebui|der

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I got a axe
« Reply #148 on: March 25, 2006, 23:02:41 »
I believe my comment was the straw that broke the camels back, as old medic can probably attest to.

My apologies.
The true measure of a man is how well he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good

Munit Haec et Altera Vincit

"2..4..6..8..tiptoe, sneak, and infiltrate, yaaaaaay, recce!" - Kat Stevens

Offline Trinity

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #149 on: March 25, 2006, 23:56:21 »
Secondly, Trinity whats with slamming Camo and Card? I am unsure if you meant it as a  joke or as some kind of example. I enjoy both of their comments.

Yeah.. it was a total joke.. although it looked serious, thats why i put the  :P.

In fact, the irony of the post is I am responsible for the three items raised, not card.

But now that Shortbus has taken responsiblity, I am perfectly happy to shift the blame to him.  :P