Author Topic: Rank and Responsibility  (Read 4421 times)

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
Re: Rank and Responsibility
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2018, 10:41:16 »
Folks, just a reminder to steer away from specific force protection levels/distances that someone could use to do us harm downrange.

- Milnet.ca Staff

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2018, 10:46:12 »
Especially not the infantry when accidentally exposed to sweet airforce accommodations  ;D

//recruiting tanget on//

Honestly...it's a myth.  Our Accn aren't that great when we're away from homeplate (see picture below).  There have been a few times I've even had to share 2 bedroom apartment with another crewmember!   :orly:

:whistle:

Honestly, we do have it pretty jammy.  The worst Accn I've stayed in during my time on Sqn?  Cold Lake, during MF/MG.  Scotland is always a good go.

See your local PSO shop about opportunities to remuster to Commissioned and Non Commissioned aircrew trades.

//recruiting tanget off//
Do I love my job?  No.

But does it afford me the ability to go on lavish vacations and buy anything I want?  Also no.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2018, 10:50:48 »
Honestly, we do have it pretty jammy.  The worst Accn I've stayed in during my time on Sqn?  Cold Lake, during MF/MG.  Scotland is always a good go.

In Scotland, I stayed in an actual trailer park once.  It was amusing more than anything else (even the CO laughed and took pictures), but those things aren't very soundproof against the Scottish wind.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2018, 10:56:47 »
In Scotland, I stayed in an actual trailer park once.  It was amusing more than anything else (even the CO laughed and took pictures), but those things aren't very soundproof against the Scottish wind.

Was that recently?
Do I love my job?  No.

But does it afford me the ability to go on lavish vacations and buy anything I want?  Also no.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2018, 11:13:50 »

.... or mating rituals :)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline stoker dave

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2018, 12:58:58 »
The XO felt that only Naval Ops officers should be OOD in foreign ports (ostensibly because of the "force protection" requirement). 

Maybe I was the basis for that decision?

I was the Assistant Marine Systems Engineering Officer (A/MSEO) and was OOD while alongside in the Gulf during Gulf War I.  While I had a very well qualified duty watch to work with, I was probably not the best choice for that job.  My knowledge of naval operations and force protection was probably close to zero. 

I figured when I was OOD that if no one got hurt and the boat didn't float away from the dock, sink or burn to the waterline, my watch was successful.  If the lights and air conditioning stayed on for the full 24 hours, that was cause for celebration. 

Online MARS

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2018, 13:06:42 »

I figured when I was OOD that if no one got hurt and the boat didn't float away from the dock, sink or burn to the waterline, my watch was successful.  If the lights and air conditioning stayed on for the full 24 hours, that was cause for celebration.

Broadly speaking, this is still the barometer for success even today.  Sounds like you had it about right, priority-wise.
"Managers do things right; Leaders do the right thing"

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2018, 06:39:11 »

I echo MARS' comment. As a CO that's about all I expected from my orderly officer, who is, was anyway circa 1980, roughly the same as the Navy's OOD: if by morning there had been no riots, not many soldiers (not many more than usual) were in cells or hospital and none of my building had burned down then I reckoned the OO had not failed ... not any more than i expected any subaltern to fail at any task, anyway.
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"