Author Topic: Policy on Clickers?  (Read 37799 times)

Offline The Crowe

Sushi out the arse.

• Albainn Gu Brath!
  • Rate Post
  • Just some guy.
    • Daniel MacEnchroe
Policy on Clickers?
« on: April 21, 2005, 21:45:54 »
Does anyone know where I can purchase a few pair of these lil' suckers (The SNCO's at my corp have been looking into getting these)

Ex-CI of A&SH of C (PL) 2347 RC(Army)CC (2010-2011)
Ex-RSM of A&SH of C (PL) 2347 RC(Army)CC (2002-2008)

http://www.macenchroe.com

Offline PViddy

• Rate Post
Re: Dress Boot "Metal Clickers"
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 21:48:12 »
I doubt you'll be allowed to keep them.  Safety hazard...and if your Officers are doing their job... cadets is all about safety.

PV
PER ARDUA AD ASTRA

Offline PViddy

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 22:03:34 »
As a follow up, you may be interested in this.  **Note** this is the Air CATO's however Army is more than likely the same.

http://cadets.ca/_docs/cato-oaic/5504_b.pdf

regards

PV
PER ARDUA AD ASTRA

Offline The Crowe

Sushi out the arse.

• Albainn Gu Brath!
  • Rate Post
  • Just some guy.
    • Daniel MacEnchroe
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 22:16:33 »
It has already been approved by our RSM and I assume (and hope) he ran it by the CO so... *shrugs shoulders*

When I was a young(er) cadet my SNCO's had the "Clickers" and the effect was pretty impressive

edit: anyways still.. anyone know where I can purchase these?

Offline Larry Strong

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • 546 days from 0 to being King of the Castle
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 22:26:59 »
Most shoe repair shops should be able to help you out
Proud sponsor of the Maple Leaf Legacy Project. http://www.mapleleaflegacy.ca

Offline PViddy

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 22:32:53 »
Again, i am sure "it's done" just given you a heads up from a supervisors perspective.  I would make sure your Chief ran it by the Brass first - before you go out and drop the cash.

good luck

PV
PER ARDUA AD ASTRA

Offline Spinaker

• Rate Post
  • So. How do you think that went?
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 22:40:48 »
Like larry said you should be able to get them at a decent shoe repair place.  When we got ours for the RMC colour party we went to the same place I got vibrams for my combat boots.
"Since you attended public school, I'm going to assume you're already proficient with small arms, so we'll start you off with something a little more advanced."

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 00:36:30 »
Again, i am sure "it's done" just given you a heads up from a supervisors perspective.  I would make sure your Chief ran it by the Brass first - before you go out and drop the cash.

good luck

PV

sorry to interject, but what have you supervised as an officer cadet?

The clickers, have been something in use in our regiment for years.   The only restraint being, us cheap mopes who would not go out and spend our beer money on a set.

just an observation, from what I read in your profile.

dileas

tess
I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -7245.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 06:15:51 »
Go to the Shoemaker and get it done. They are not illegal in the Forces, just restricted in some areas like aircraft aprons, TDM's and bulk fuel storage, etc. If your in the Army Cadets and your just using them on parades, you should be good to go. I've had them on my boots through my forty odd year carreer, from Cadets til now, and still use them.

Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline PViddy

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 09:02:05 »
sorry to interject, but what have you supervised as an officer cadet?

The clickers, have been something in use in our regiment for years.   The only restraint being, us cheap mopes who would not go out and spend our beer money on a set.

just an observation, from what I read in your profile.

dileas

tess

Well, let me break it down for you.  As an Officer, albeit a subordinate one till i receive my commission, i am in a supervisory position every time i am at my LHQ with cadets.  In prior threads we have talked about how everyone has a job in the CF-that's mine.  So i guess your answer is....lot's

cheers

PV
PER ARDUA AD ASTRA

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 09:05:12 »
Well, let me break it down for you.   As an Officer, albeit a subordinate one till i receive my commission, i am in a supervisory position every time i am at my LHQ with cadets.   In prior threads we have talked about how everyone has a job in the CF-that's mine.   So i guess your answer is....lot's

cheers

PV

Just reading your response above and I see you need more experience.  I hope that you have garnered some experience and knowledge from some of the responses on this topic and walk away the better.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline The Crowe

Sushi out the arse.

• Albainn Gu Brath!
  • Rate Post
  • Just some guy.
    • Daniel MacEnchroe
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2005, 09:18:50 »
okay... so as far as it goes, most shoe repair places should do it..correct?

how much is the ballpark price of this? 20-30?

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2005, 09:35:07 »
Cheers George,

I could not have worded it better.

dileas

tess
I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline Michael Dorosh

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Verloren ist nur, wer sich selbst aufgibt!
    • CANUCK
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2005, 09:36:54 »
okay... so as far as it goes, most shoe repair places should do it..correct?

how much is the ballpark price of this? 20-30?

I would say that is accurate.  Some places still have the "horseshoe" clickers, too, but they are not as loud or distinctive as the simple taps.
"So, how's your sister?" -Brigadeführer Hermann Fegelein

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com
 http://www.calgaryhighlanders.com

Offline The Crowe

Sushi out the arse.

• Albainn Gu Brath!
  • Rate Post
  • Just some guy.
    • Daniel MacEnchroe
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2005, 09:42:16 »
I would say that is accurate.   Some places still have the "horseshoe" clickers, too, but they are not as loud or distinctive as the simple taps.

thanks for the help!

Thanks to all of you :)

Offline N. McKay

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2005, 10:17:16 »
Again, i am sure "it's done" just given you a heads up from a supervisors perspective.   I would make sure your Chief ran it by the Brass first - before you go out and drop the cash.

That's very good advice.  While I don't see anything in the Army Cadet dress regs against them, they are forbidden in the air cadet dress regs.  It's worth noting that the air cadet dress regs were last revised in March, and I believe the other two elements will follow shortly.  (The revision to the sea cadet dress regs is out to the regions for comments now.)  While they may be permitted today, they may not be in a matter of months, so it could be a bit of a waste of money to have them installed.

Offline N. McKay

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2005, 10:19:18 »
I doubt you'll be allowed to keep them.   Safety hazard...and if your Officers are doing their job... cadets is all about safety.

Apart from sparks (and consequent fires) when working around fuel (something not usually done in one's parade boots), what is the safety hazard with these things -- slipping?

Offline Larry Strong

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2005, 10:29:35 »
I would think that would be the big one. But they sure do sound nice when you have a big parade ;D

Offline PViddy

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2005, 11:15:51 »
That's what i was thinking of when i posted, a slipping hazard..."Cadet breaks hip in Santa Claus parade blah blah" LOL sparks, now that's a lot of drill, although maybe you could use magnesium...sure would look cool when marching in slow time  ;D

PV
PER ARDUA AD ASTRA

Offline Larry Strong

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2005, 11:47:47 »
From my experience with cleats, they don't raise a lot of sparks. They used to be standard issue in the forces at one time, if memory serves me right I had a pair of ankle boot and Oxford's that were double soled and had cleats on. After we were issued with them in Cornwallis, they were taken to the base shoe shop or farmed out and came back like that. I don't recall any fires starting or anyone falling from them.

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2005, 11:53:57 »
The other safety hazard that comes from clickers is when one walks in from snowy/wet ground onto very smooth concrete (ie parade squares in an armouries) or walking on vaguely slippery surfaces - I've had them on my boots for 17 odd years, and still consciously think about how I walk when I come indoors or am parading in the winter time because things tend to be REALLY slippery at first.   It really doesn't look too cool (or feel good for that matter) when you visit the floor in a head first sort of attitude.   Well, OK, it might look cool if it's someone you really don'tlike...

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline TCBF

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2005, 12:17:44 »
Cleated ankle boots are/were in the system, at least as auth contracted mods.

In 1981, with Ceremonial guard, all were issued four pair of ankle boots, two normal pair, and two pair triple soled, with Howes Oak, and large fore and aft cleats.  I wore one pair of the triple soled throgh teaching at CFRS and CFLRS as well as Regimental parades.  The other pair are still brand new, unworn.

Someone who has done CG, or is in the GGHG, CGG or the GGFG may be albe to give you the NSNs.

"Disarming the Canadian public is part of the new humanitarian social agenda."   - Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd Axeworthy at a Gun Control conference in Oslo, Norway in 1998.

"I didn’t feel that it was an act of violence; you know, I felt that it was an act of liberation, that’s how I felt you know." - Ann Hansen, Canadian 'Urban Guerrilla'(one of the "Squamish Five")

Offline Get Nautical

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2005, 16:55:12 »
the Blakey's, aka. Heel Clickers were issued to us in D&C 2004, Vernon   *Thank-you to all the D&C WO's for making this possible*   we had to pay $.50 per boot to have it put on. (Courtesy of our Platoon WO's and other platoon members to cover the cost of the clickers.)

If you do nail them in yourself, dont nail them into the little holes in the heel of the boot, it messes the boots up, those holes (on the heel)   are were they nail the heel into the boot.
You can pick up the nails at your hardware store, if i remember right they were about a half inch long and had a round head, like a finishing nail. not sure maybe someone can refresh my memory

as far as rules,

Your Not allowed to wear them when traveling on an airplane, so take them of prior to going to camp or the like

goes with the bus as well, they might tolerate it at your local HQ dependin on your circumstances (ask), but they Wont tolerate it when going to and from camp

If your corps has a wooden floor for a parade square, your also not allowed to wear them as they will scuff and dent the floor, as long as its Cement or Asphault your parading on, your ok
« Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 17:00:17 by Sgt. Papke »

Offline Spinaker

• Rate Post
  • So. How do you think that went?
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2005, 23:22:33 »
$20-$30 seems pretty extreme I think I paid $8.00 for mine.
"Since you attended public school, I'm going to assume you're already proficient with small arms, so we'll start you off with something a little more advanced."

Offline The Crowe

Sushi out the arse.

• Albainn Gu Brath!
  • Rate Post
  • Just some guy.
    • Daniel MacEnchroe
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2005, 08:55:18 »
question for Hamiltonions...

Any recomended places to get this done?