Author Topic: Speeding / Traffic tickets during application [Merged]  (Read 34435 times)

Offline fbr2o75

• Rate Post
Re: Speeding / Traffic tickets during application [Merged]
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2008, 13:52:51 »
on a related note, the parking meter expired this morning before i could go refill it, will this affect my chances of staying in the CF ?

Probably not,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but your sarcasm might.

Offline f0x

• Rate Post
  • Waiting for bmq
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2009, 18:46:21 »
I do apologize if this topic has been touched on before, I did do a search but it didn't yield any similar situations.

December 31st I received a parking ticket for having my car parked on the road during winter parking ban hours. I paid this ticket on January 9th online with my visa. The next week I received a letter reminding me that I had a parking ticket but it said to disregard the letter if I had already paid...so I did. This morning I get a letter telling me I have to go to court for this parking ticket because it is "unpaid" and had to spend hours on the phone arguing with them and giving them my account numbers. I have that mess sorted out and it should be cleared by Tuesday but I am wondering about my background check. My file was sent to Borden within the past couple days and I am assuming my back check would reveal the overdue parking ticket. I was wondering if anyone has any experience or advice on this type of situation as I have heard something like this can cause huge delays.

Should I call my CFRC first thing Monday and explain? Should I wait till it is clear and then explain? Would it be better to not hassle them at all and wait to see what happens? Am I being overly paranoid about nothing?

Offline Sir_Spams_a_lot

.....Quando omni flunkus moritati.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2009, 19:00:40 »
Holy crap, man.... it's a parking ticket, not an indictment for mass murder.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline CFR FCS

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2009, 19:08:05 »
Don't sweat it.
Wait until the CFRC asks you about it. I suspect that it won't show up unless it goes to collections. If you are asked at the CFRC for proof, bring in the ticket and your on line receipt from the credit card company. That should do it.

CFR FCS
Those who live by the sword will be shot by those of us who have progressed.

Offline Piper

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2009, 19:08:55 »
Don't worry, it's a parking ticket. There are people out there with hundreds out unpaid parking tickets, your one 'unpaid' (in the eyes of the city) ticket isn't an issue.

Don't loose any sleep over it.

aesop081

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2009, 19:20:16 »
One unpaid parking ticket ?

:endnigh:

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2009, 19:23:17 »
I think we can let her off now.  She paid with her Credit Card, so when she goes to fight it, she will have her Credit Card statement to back up her claims. 

As so many have already said; "no big deal".

Now can we all stop?
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline ryanvms

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2009, 18:44:33 »
Hi,
I just put in my application online today and under the previous record for the security check i clicked yes because I got a speeding ticket a year ago. This is technically a conviction under the highway traffic act. the ticket was 15kmh over, I plead guilty and paid it on time. Will I need to get a pardon for this? Will this slow down my application?
BTW I applied for LCIS Tech.
Thanks

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2009, 18:57:28 »
I have heard of pardons for criminal convictions. Never heard of a pardon for a traffic ticket. It goes on your Driver's Astract, but doesn't give you a criminal record. I don't know what province you are in, but in Ontario, I don't think you even loose points for that ticket.:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/demerit.shtml
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 19:00:21 by mariomike »

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2009, 19:49:31 »
You do not require a pardon for a Provincial Summary Offence Ticket, which is what you got.

Only Criminal Code of Canada convictions are of concern to the recruiting process.

Offline ryanvms

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2009, 20:27:51 »
Hey thanks for the quick responses. So should I modify my application or leave as having a convciction under another act.

Offline Maelstrom

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2009, 20:47:41 »
You do not require a pardon for a Provincial Summary Offence Ticket, which is what you got.

Only Criminal Code of Canada convictions are of concern to the recruiting process.

"It takes too much time, being afraid."

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2009, 20:57:10 »
What Maelstrom said.   ;D

You've got to pay attention to the answers you're given - during BMQ, if you ask a question that just finished getting answered, you're going to be very good at pushups.

I'm pretty sure the question on the application specifically mentions criminal convictions.

Offline ryanvms

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2009, 20:58:23 »
Point made.
Alright thanks for your help.

Offline schlutzer

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2010, 00:51:51 »
The fine I got wasn't for anything dangerous, but was for no insurance ( screw up on my part)

I currently owe about 2800 and have been having a significantly difficult time trying to find work the last couple months, the small amount I can get only covers my bills and barely allows much to be put on the fine.

I've read that you can't join while you have a fine but I can't seem to remember where I read that, and if it pertained to vehicle fines or only fines that are from vandalism, or charges.

i'll be looking up how to call the nearest recruiter to me tomorrow but an answer hear might be sooner.

I'm only asking because if I can go before finishing this fine that would be awesome, a fair few of my friends are leaving for college or university shortly to start the rest of their lives and I'm not yet, kinda frustrating. ( Not whining, I know i've got nobody to blame, but if I don't HAVE to wait, I'd rather not for obvious reasons)

Offline fischer10

• Rate Post
  • Welcome to a world beyond tomorrow..
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2010, 01:13:48 »
I think fines that deal with driving/vehicles depend on province (like in Ontario if you have a speeding ticket they look into that, where Manitoba they don't - personally dealt with this and is due to Ontario having speeding tickets as criminal or something along the lines). As long as you have a licence still and it is not being suspended you should be fine (correct if I am wrong!)

I got an fine for "Drinking in an unauthorized place." 2 weekends ago (171 dollars, sigh.) and I asked the Cop if it would screw anything up for me, and he said no. Then again, his knowledge most likely is limited but I am from Manitoba, everyone here drinks haha :P (not that it makes any difference!)

I did not give any real information other then having to have a licence - which I am unsure if this is true for all trades (I joined Armoured Crewman and need a licence to drive the vehicles so..)?
Perseverance.

Offline M_B

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2010, 10:11:00 »
First off your civil status must be up-to-date and you must have the proper documentation to prove it prior to being sworn in. But that aside - put yourself in the shoes of the employer: you have hundreds of applicants who have no unpaid fines, and you have a few applicants who have unpaid fines. Which applicants would you hire?
As far as getting work goes - there are countless unfilled civilian jobs in your community. Need extra cash? Work at McDonald's or Tim Hortons on the weekend. You'll have no time to spend your cash and you'll have the extra funds to pay that fine.
Part of you starting the rest of your life includes taking responsibility for your actions and paying the fines you have. Just be thankful that you weren't involved in an accident where someone was hurt while you were driving without insurance - the legal bills you could have would make that $2800 look like the interest on chequing account.

Offline Nauticus

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2010, 10:40:07 »
I think fines that deal with driving/vehicles depend on province (like in Ontario if you have a speeding ticket they look into that, where Manitoba they don't - personally dealt with this and is due to Ontario having speeding tickets as criminal or something along the lines). As long as you have a licence still and it is not being suspended you should be fine (correct if I am wrong!)

I got an fine for "Drinking in an unauthorized place." 2 weekends ago (171 dollars, sigh.) and I asked the Cop if it would screw anything up for me, and he said no. Then again, his knowledge most likely is limited but I am from Manitoba, everyone here drinks haha :P (not that it makes any difference!)

I did not give any real information other then having to have a licence - which I am unsure if this is true for all trades (I joined Armoured Crewman and need a licence to drive the vehicles so..)?
Are you in yet? Because you do not need a civilian driver's license to drive military vehicles, as you will earn a special military driver's license called a DND 404. Although having a civilian driver's license and skill driving a motor vehicle is definitely a benefit before taking the driving courses in the military, it isn't a requirement.
"Fate guides who will; who won't, it drags."

Offline M_B

• Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2010, 10:53:57 »
Speeding in Ontario is a provincial offence, and dealt with as such. Unless you were charged with dangerous driving, for example, as a result of the speed you were driving then that would be a criminal charge and the speeding would be considered an included offence.

Offline fischer10

• Rate Post
  • Welcome to a world beyond tomorrow..
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2010, 10:54:42 »
Are you in yet? Because you do not need a civilian driver's license to drive military vehicles, as you will earn a special military driver's license called a DND 404. Although having a civilian driver's license and skill driving a motor vehicle is definitely a benefit before taking the driving courses in the military, it isn't a requirement.

Thank you for the clarification on that Nauticus! I am accepted, I fly down to St. Jean in 12 days.
Perseverance.

Offline schlutzer

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2010, 11:57:18 »
MGB that little lecture on  driving without insurance was pretty unfounded. Want to know what I did? I pulled a truck out of my driveway, did a 3 point turn, and backed it back in because I needed it facing the other way, this was at 3am.

Also, how can you say there are tons of jobs within my community? You don't even know where my community is, but here is some insight for you. I live in a factory city, where half the factories have left. The unemployment rate here is crap. A job posting goes up, and the same day 50-60 people have applied for it, Places like timmies will not even take your resume here.

The temp agencies are not able to find you anything more than a single day job here or there. Thats what I meant by only being able to find enough to pay bills, not that I'm working full time and blowing my money and not wanting to pay the fine.

You judge-mental tone is far from helpful

Offline M_B

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2010, 12:43:30 »
MGB that little lecture on  driving without insurance was pretty unfounded. Want to know what I did? I pulled a truck out of my driveway, did a 3 point turn, and backed it back in because I needed it facing the other way, this was at 3am.

Also, how can you say there are tons of jobs within my community? You don't even know where my community is, but here is some insight for you. I live in a factory city, where half the factories have left. The unemployment rate here is crap. A job posting goes up, and the same day 50-60 people have applied for it, Places like timmies will not even take your resume here.

The temp agencies are not able to find you anything more than a single day job here or there. Thats what I meant by only being able to find enough to pay bills, not that I'm working full time and blowing my money and not wanting to pay the fine.

You judge-mental tone is far from helpful

It wasn't a lecture - but I certainly feel for you as I too have an urgent need to have my uninsured truck facing the other way in my driveway at 3 am.

Good luck with your application to the CF.

Offline Trishababyxo

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2014, 11:36:00 »
Good day all,

Just wondering, if I am in the application process (just completed cfat, awaiting medical/interview) and I have traffic fines owing, does this present a problem with enrolment?
Will they still let me join, or would I have to pay all my fines first, or would it completely disqualify me altogether?

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2014, 11:53:48 »
I don't suppose you did a search for the other 85 times this question has been asked, have you?

Use "site:army.ca traffic ticket" as a search term in Google.  Replace "traffic ticket" with a phrase of your choice to do custom searches.

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2014, 12:46:08 »
Good day all,

Just wondering, if I am in the application process (just completed cfat, awaiting medical/interview) and I have traffic fines owing, does this present a problem with enrolment?
Will they still let me join, or would I have to pay all my fines first, or would it completely disqualify me altogether?

I congratulate you for not starting a new thread, however, it would be helpful to actually READ said threads.  Your question has been asked and answered.

Hatchet Man
Army.ca Staff