Author Topic: Canadian Special Operations Regiment (CSOR)  (Read 537662 times)

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Canadian Special Operations Regiment (CSOR)
« Reply #450 on: December 15, 2013, 10:22:34 »
That's a sexy knife but wouldn't they be worried about loosing their $500 knife if they miss when they throw it at a bad guy? 
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #451 on: December 15, 2013, 16:10:14 »
It is a pretty cool knife.  I just don't have the cash to grab one  :'(

Just get a job in any HQ from Bde level on up and you will be highly likely to collect one between the shoulder blades in due course.  ;D
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline KerryBlue

• Rate Post
« Reply #452 on: December 19, 2013, 11:43:53 »
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152060277359583.1073741856.100533039582&type=3

Has anyone seen these photos.... there's 2 different camo's being used by the CSOR operators both the american multi-cam and the white snow camo. Just curious about whether the men and white are Canadian or a foreign unit working with CSOR

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #453 on: December 19, 2013, 11:48:25 »
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152060277359583.1073741856.100533039582&type=3

Has anyone seen these photos.... there's 2 different camo's being used by the CSOR operators both the american multi-cam and the white snow camo. Just curious about whether the men and white are Canadian or a foreign unit working with CSOR

Seen those photos with captions.  Plus, I read the article.  Unfortunately, as you seem to have pointed out, there are no visible minorities in the photos.  Also, in the captions on the photos, and in the narrative, there is no mention of foreign troops involved.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #454 on: December 19, 2013, 12:05:36 »
... american multi-cam ...
Are they in American uniforms, or just multi-cam uniforms? 
There are 27 countries using multi-cam.  It is the new woodland pattern in that everybody is wearing it.

MikeL

« Reply #455 on: December 19, 2013, 12:08:55 »
Has anyone seen these photos.... there's 2 different camo's being used by the CSOR operators both the american multi-cam and the white snow camo.

Not everyone in those photos are CSOR.

Just curious about whether the men and white are Canadian or a foreign unit working with CSOR
The troops in the white/grey/black camo are members of 2 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group; they are most likely portraying a foreign unit for this exercise.  It is pretty common for troops doing OPFOR/COEFOR to be wearing non Canadian uniforms.

Here's a excerpt from the article saying who is taking part in this training.
As members of the Canadian Armed Forces, both CSOR and 2 CMBG train to maintain readiness in order to respond when asked to by the Government of Canada. This joint training enabled personnel from each organization to apply their skill sets and learn from each other.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 12:59:28 by -Skeletor- »

Offline KerryBlue

• Rate Post
« Reply #456 on: December 19, 2013, 13:31:07 »
Are they in American uniforms, or just multi-cam uniforms? 
There are 27 countries using multi-cam.  It is the new woodland pattern in that everybody is wearing it.

You are correct MCG, I apologize for my error.

Not everyone in those photos are CSOR.
The troops in the white/grey/black camo are members of 2 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group; they are most likely portraying a foreign unit for this exercise.  It is pretty common for troops doing OPFOR/COEFOR to be wearing non Canadian uniforms.

Here's a excerpt from the article saying who is taking part in this training.

Sorry skeletor must have missed that somehow. Interesting to know about OPFOR/COEFOR wearing non Canadian uniforms.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #457 on: December 19, 2013, 13:36:34 »
Interesting to know about OPFOR/COEFOR wearing non Canadian uniforms.
PXR points have noted that troops find it "troubling" to shoot at 'Canadian' soldiers; several units have gone to non-CADPAT for the bad guys.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #458 on: December 19, 2013, 13:46:35 »
I always preferred the torn t-shirt and cam cream look:
 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJfEQQ_Tl_o
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post

Offline Crispy Bacon

• Banned
  • Rate Post
CSOR on CTV W5 - Saturday, April 5, 2014
« Reply #460 on: April 02, 2014, 18:03:17 »
Looks like an interesting story and some new access for the media.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/
Banned for registering when already banned, among other things.

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Easy to draw, hard to spell
"Return with your shield, or upon it."

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #462 on: April 05, 2014, 17:32:16 »
It's a bit long and too full of photos to post, but here is a good article from our (Army.ca's) friend Mercedes Stephenson of CTV News.
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #463 on: April 05, 2014, 17:55:23 »
I hope the video does a better job of concealing the operator's faces.

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Easy to draw, hard to spell
« Reply #464 on: April 06, 2014, 08:17:53 »
For those who did not see the episode, videos posted here:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=319697&playlistId=1.1761339&binId=1.811589&playlistPageNum=1

The Robert Fowler interview was not played in its entirety. The video is 18 mins long, and worth a watch.
"Return with your shield, or upon it."

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -7995.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #465 on: April 06, 2014, 11:31:48 »

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=319697&playlistId=1.1761339&binId=1.811589&playlistPageNum=1

The Robert Fowler interview was not played in its entirety. The video is 18 mins long, and worth a watch.

Good vid, RP. Thanks.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline village_idiot

• Rate Post
« Reply #466 on: April 15, 2014, 01:00:42 »

Wow

Those shooting drills during part 1 were inspiring to watch. Those operators made it look so fluid and easy.

Offline Singh647

• Rate Post
Need some info on ranking and Csor
« Reply #467 on: January 12, 2015, 19:38:05 »
Hi there,

I'm a student in college, I'm 20 and I'm really interested in joining the armed forces. I've heard that with a university degree you can become a captain, where the pay is good and there is a need for captains. unfortunately I'm in college and they don't take that into consideration. I'm assuming I'm gonna have to start from private and work my way up. I just wanna know if that's the case and how ranking works ( ranks, how long it takes to rank up and factors to increase my chances of moving up). I've also got my eyes on CSOR, that's my real goal. I want to get into Csor as quickly as possible. And my last question, I'm wondering if Csor operators make more money then regular infantry soldiers.

Offline kratz

Well into the COVID-19 routine.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Need some info on ranking and Csor
« Reply #468 on: January 12, 2015, 20:43:32 »
Have you read, comprehended and followed the rules of this site?

If you had, you would have spent more than a few minutes between registering and
posting a question that has been asked and answered so often nobody wants to bother answering your post.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: Need some info on ranking and Csor
« Reply #469 on: January 12, 2015, 21:38:50 »
And with that said, I am locking this thread.

As you are a student in college, you know how to conduct basic research. Please use the Search Function, and read through some older threads.

Once you have done your homework, feel free to ask whatever questions are needed to fill in any gaps.

Offline methionine

• Rate Post
Question about CSOR
« Reply #470 on: January 29, 2015, 23:49:01 »
I just watched a short segment from a few years ago where it highlighted CSORs role in training African soldiers in the Sahara. I thought it was very interesting, a closer look at a realm of the Canadian Armed Forces that is often kept behind closed doors. I have a huge amount of respect for these guys, the amount of dedication that must go into to maintaining their level of fitness is unreal.

I decided to go to the CANSOFCOM website and check it out a little bit. Let me step back and say I have no ambitions to be spec ops, so its not a "I wanna be CSOR/JTF2 but haven't even started BMQ" type topic, but I did I decided to go to the CANSOFCOM website and check it out a little bit. It said any member of the Armed Forces can apply and. potentially, join CSOR. Although politically speaking, it is a nice sentiment, anyone have an idea as to the actual likelihood, or prevalence, of someone outside of Infantry/Combat arms making the regiment?

I ask this out of curiosity for how our special forces work.

I did do a search and found some topics/comments of similar vein but not a discussion (recent) addressing this question exactly.

Thanks,

Offline Schindler's Lift

• Rate Post
  • http://goo.gl/1E5Ez0
Re: Question about CSOR
« Reply #471 on: January 30, 2015, 00:02:46 »
Its been my understanding that representatives from virtually all trades are required in one capacity or another.  No doubt that is why the website stated "any member of the Armed Forces can apply".  Someone has to feed them, fix their vehicles, drive their vehicles, care for their administration and pay, fix them medically and many/most other functions both in garrison and while deployed.  I'm not sure there would be much need for hard Navy trades but I'm sure others here can elaborate further.

Offline quadrapiper

• Rate Post
« Reply #472 on: January 30, 2015, 02:30:31 »
Seem to recall mention in a discussion on here (perhaps when the regiment was founded) of openings for boatswains, and remember seeing boat cox'n fitness requirements for (I think) CSOR posted at Naden gym.

Offline SF2

• Rate Post
« Reply #473 on: January 30, 2015, 07:09:55 »
Its been my understanding that representatives from virtually all trades are required in one capacity or another.  No doubt that is why the website stated "any member of the Armed Forces can apply".  Someone has to feed them, fix their vehicles, drive their vehicles, care for their administration and pay, fix them medically and many/most other functions both in garrison and while deployed.  I'm not sure there would be much need for hard Navy trades but I'm sure others here can elaborate further.

To expand a bit....anyone who would, by trade, be normally "feeding, fixing, or driving...and yes, even Navy" is more than welcome to apply as an SF operator.

LightFighter

« Reply #474 on: January 30, 2015, 08:21:17 »
As mentioned, members from any trade in the CAF can try out for SF Operator. Many pers coming from a non Infantry or Combat Arms background have been successful.

As well, there are a number of support positions available, how ever you must be in a trade they require to apply.

Seem to recall mention in a discussion on here (perhaps when the regiment was founded) of openings for boatswains, and remember seeing boat cox'n fitness requirements for (I think) CSOR posted at Naden gym.

That would be JTF2, they have SO Coxswain positions; AFAIK, any trade can apply for that job.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 08:57:59 by LightFighter »