Author Topic: Recouping Temporary Site Costs  (Read 20944 times)

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
Recouping Temporary Site Costs
« on: March 16, 2004, 10:29:00 »
Folks,

Because of the hardware failure last week, we‘re now operating off of my home connection until the new hardware can be put in place. Unfortunately, this is putting me *way* over my monthly traffic limit, and it may cost me up to $300 based on how things have been running so far.

I‘ve been tossing around a number of ideas, since I‘d like to avoid a $300 monthly bill. The obvious approach is to take down Army.ca for a while, to lower the usage. It‘s not my first choice, and would definitely be a temporary situation. (If we do happen to go off the air, don‘t panic - we‘ll be back!)

The other option is to try to raise a few bucks to cover the additional cost. Probably the best way to do this is to sell some Army.ca shirts, so at least you have something to show for your support. (I hate "flogging" them like this, but it seems to be the lesser of two evils.) You can go to the order form here:

http://Army.ca/shirts

There are only 15 left from the first lot, so it‘s possible we may sell them all. Thanks in advance for your support.

Cheers
Mike Bobbitt

Offline tree hugger

• Hug a Betula allegeniensis.
  • Rate Post
Re: Recouping Temporary Site Costs
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 10:51:00 »
What about advertisments from places like "wheelers"?  Dunno..it‘s an idea anyway!
Always behave like a duck.   Remain cool and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the dickens underneath.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5240.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 10:55:00 »
Mike,
How do we send you a straight donation?
Diversity includes adverse opinions, or it is not diversity.
Inclusive includes adverse opinions, or is not inclusive.

Offline GirlFiredUp

• Civilian
  • Rate Post
  • I work out. I do it so I can eat mcdonalds.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 11:11:00 »
Good idea.  Just noticed the t-shirts don‘t come in small, so I‘m willing to make a donation. :)
You can employ men and hire hands to work 'for' you, but you must win their hearts to have them work 'with' you. - Malcolm Forbes

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2004, 11:13:00 »
Thanks for the quick response!

tree hugger: I have advertising from Wheelers already, though it doesn‘t "rotate in" very often. So far I‘ve made about $8 from that and just over $1 from the Amazon advertising here. It‘s probably because the ads are small, but I can‘t stand sites where 1/2 the page is flashing banner ads. I guess I need some marketing training...  ;)

recceguy: There‘s a form for straight donations here:

http://army.ca/donate/

Thanks!

Offline GirlFiredUp

• Civilian
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2004, 11:25:00 »
Huh?  What am I chopped liver?  My money is as green as everybody elses. Unless of course you only want a donation from recceguy. ;)
You can employ men and hire hands to work 'for' you, but you must win their hearts to have them work 'with' you. - Malcolm Forbes

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004, 11:32:00 »
Heheh, sorry, apparently we were typing our responses at the same time...

Here‘s a thought: If you donate $18, you get a free shirt, shipped to your door.  ;)

Offline GirlFiredUp

• Civilian
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2004, 11:44:00 »
hehe.. deal!  ;)

PTE Gruending

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2004, 13:50:00 »
Why don‘t you check out paypal for possible donations? They offer a service where webusers can click a link on your site (ie; army.ca) to directly send a paypal/credit card payment, for donation purposes. With ease of transcaction like that, i am sure everyone could cough up a few bucks... anyways, check out the link here:
 https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_help-ext&leafid=2524&answer_id=3119609

Offline Harris

Is back at the grind.

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2004, 13:51:00 »
Mike,

To recoup the $300 this month alone you‘d need to sell at least 100 shirts?  I think that people should step up to the plate and cough up $4 or $5 to help you out.  I‘ve done just that myself.
Cheers

Todd
Army.ca

"...persons escaping a lethal dose of radiation may well be rendered seriously ill and or be more prone to various forms of cancer in later years. Hence, their morale and performance may be expected to slump."
Crap, I think I got a lethal dose!!!

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2004, 13:54:00 »
Why don‘t you check out paypal for possible donations? They offer a service where webusers can click a link on your site (ie; army.ca) to directly send a paypal/credit card payment, for donation purposes. With ease of transcaction like that, i am sure everyone could cough up a few bucks... anyways, check out the link here:
If you followed his link, you would see that he has already done this.
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2004, 14:01:00 »
Yep, already set up with PayPal... BTW I‘m not looking to completely cover the $300. Partly because that‘s an estimate and partly because I don‘t think it‘s reasonable to ask that much of the membership. So far though, folks have been very generous.

Thanks!

Offline Lexi

• Rate Post
  • Hi.
    • Ducimus
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2004, 15:27:00 »
I feel really, really bad because as much as I want to, I can‘t help out.
My parents just keep saying no, and I don‘t have money, nor a credit card of my own to donate with.

But I would if I could. Sorry guys, I feel I‘ve let you down when you really need me.    :(
62 Royal Hamilton Light Infantry
Royal Canadian Army Cadet Corps

Semper Paratus!
Proud young supporter of the Canadian Armed Forces          :salute:

Offline Grunt_031

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian WFE Tech
    • Defence Medals
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2004, 15:28:00 »
How about a classified ad section, you could charge a $1.00 or so per ad. Limit it to miltary items, Collectables and Surplus. Lots of traffic and there is alot of people that have extra stuff laying around that are not a business. More ambitious project would be a auction such as ebay or yahoo, Military collectables only.

Offline Carcharodon Carcharias

• Drawing the crabs from Downunder :) WTF is TWL?
  • Banned
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2004, 15:35:00 »
It would be good to have a members only ‘equipment exchange‘ on here. See www.ausmil.com, which is a site similar to this, and they ahve one there.

Hope this helps us all out.

Cheers,

WEs
"You've never lived until you've almost died; as for our freedom, for those of us who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know." - Anonymous

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2004, 15:46:00 »
Thanks for the ideas guys.

Lexi: Don‘t worry, not everyone is able to help out this way and I understand that. The response has been very positive, and we‘re looking pretty good.

I think an "equipment exchange" section might be a good idea, though it‘d be free. I don‘t want to charge for services as it then limits who can use them. It could also be very difficult to manage if it was a "pay to post" scenario. And most importantly, I‘m not out to make a buck, just trying to bridge things until the new hardware is in place.

Maybe we can start a new thread on the equipment idea to get a feel for how much it might be used.

Offline aspiring officer

• Rate Post
  • GOOOO ZIPPERHEADS!!!
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2004, 15:53:00 »
You‘d know what would be kinda cool? If you made the shirts Olive green just like the issued combat T‘s, then us fellows in the militia and cadets can wear them under our combats

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2004, 16:12:00 »
Not a bad idea... If this lot sells out maybe I‘ll order a 2nd batch... I‘ll probably post a poll first to get an idea of preferences for colour, size etc...

Thanks

Offline brin11

• Rate Post
  • Gun Plumber
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2004, 16:48:00 »
Mike,

email (mike@army.ca) was bounced back.  Please advise.....

Jill
The enemy's gate is down.

Offline GirlFiredUp

• Civilian
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2004, 18:50:00 »
Originally posted by Mike Bobbitt:
[qb] Not a bad idea... If this lot sells out maybe I‘ll order a 2nd batch... I‘ll probably post a poll first to get an idea of preferences for colour, size etc...

Thanks [/qb]
well you can count on me for one.. olive green, size small, please.    :D

Offline Dano

• Rate Post
    • Star trek fan club
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2004, 19:09:00 »
Oh man. This is awful!

I really wish I could help. I would transfur funds, but you have to be 18 right?
(*note* I have CIBC online banking if that makes a diffrence...)

As for my input, perhapes you could close all forums except Canadian army or Off topic or something of that nature.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
- Martin Luther King Jr., Strength to Love, 1963

Offline Lexi

• Rate Post
  • Hi.
    • Ducimus
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2004, 19:11:00 »
As soon as I get my interac card and allowance that my mom and dad owe me from the past 2 years I swear to the gods I‘m going to buy a whole closet worth of T-Shirts and wear them out on the town.

And here‘s another idea. Instead of having a small logo on the left breast, how about a large logo, like my avatar image with "Army.ca" across it instead? Just an idea...
62 Royal Hamilton Light Infantry
Royal Canadian Army Cadet Corps

Semper Paratus!
Proud young supporter of the Canadian Armed Forces          :salute:

Offline Pieman

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2004, 19:51:00 »
Hi Mike,

Another possible solution to this problems may be to  ‘simply‘ have a distributed server.  Many versions of forum software out there allow you do have your server act as the ‘mother‘ server, and other computers can act as secondary servers and take a load of the network traffic.

Some free forum software that does is can be found at:

www.invisionboard.com
www.phpbb.com

I have not done this before, but I don‘t think it is too difficult to set up.

I would be willing to donate my linux platform as a secondary server, if there are a few other computer geeks out there on the forum willing to do the same, the amount of traffic on each network would be minimal.

It is not a easy solution, but I think it could work and would cost nothing.
Graffiti in regimental toilet stalls: The official guide to troop moral....apparently.

“Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything.” - Professor Farnsworth

Offline GirlFiredUp

• Civilian
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2004, 20:43:00 »
Another suggestion would be for some of the artists on here to come up with a logo of some sort. I‘m sure this forum has a lot of hidden talent.  Personally, I prefer a small logo as opposed to something in your face.  Just a suggestion.

Offline Pieman

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2004, 22:09:00 »
Silly me, there is an easier solution.

Don‘t know if you are aware of this, there are companies that will host your forum for about $5-10 a month that will allow for over 2G of network traffic. This one may be of bennifit:

http://phpbb-host.org/

This sight will host your forum for free, but don‘t know if they will let you use the army.ca address without paying.
Graffiti in regimental toilet stalls: The official guide to troop moral....apparently.

“Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything.” - Professor Farnsworth

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2004, 00:05:00 »
Thanks guys, that‘s all good info. We generate about 2-3Gb of traffic a day here, so it‘s a challenge to find a host that can handle it without breaking the bank.

Still, there may be some merit in the "secondary server" option, I‘ll check it out.

As a side note, while UBB (the forum software here) is commercial, we get it for free because this site is on the beta team. Means a bit more work to run through their test plans (and the odd hiccup for you guys) but cuts the cost, which is good.

Thanks to everyone for your support.

Offline Dano

• Rate Post
    • Star trek fan club
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2004, 10:47:00 »
Is it possible to use a computer as a server?
Like a dedicated server, or whatnot.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
- Martin Luther King Jr., Strength to Love, 1963

Offline ErorZ

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • MCpl
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2004, 18:42:00 »
Originally posted by rifle_team_captain_13:
[qb] You‘d know what would be kinda cool? If you made the shirts Olive green just like the issued combat T‘s, then us fellows in the militia and cadets can wear them under our combats [/qb]
This is a great idea, I would go for a few of those, keeping the current style and logo.

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2004, 19:53:00 »
I have to take this opportunity to thank everyone. The support I have recieved in shirt sales, donations and good old fashioned notes of encouragement has been overwhelming. I certainly appreciate every bit of it.

A few of the regulars here have been generous to the point of embarassing me, but we are now well equipped to handle the extra traffic load until the new hardware is in place.

So at this point, please hold off on the donations. We‘ll watch and shoot to see how the traffic and billing works out, but I think we‘re in good hands now.

For those that want to still buy a shirt, feel free. I still need to sell 9 more to break even on that venture...  :)

Thanks again

corporal-cam

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2004, 23:26:00 »
I haven‘t been here long but this site is really cool. And I‘m kinda in between jobs right now so I can‘t buy any t shirts, but I‘m there in spirit with my empty wallet  :D  As soon as I get some money I‘m gonna buy a T shirt and wear it on my next cadet ex, expessially if they‘re od.

Offline Devlin

• Rate Post
  • Ready Fire Aim
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2004, 07:53:00 »
Mike:

Paypal payment has been made. Look forward to getting the shirt, my unit is doing a Professional Development weekend (War Museum, DEW Engineering, perhaps a beer or three as well) in Ottawa at the end of this month. If any Army.ca members are around PM me and maybe we can all meet up for a pint.

Hope all is going well with the sites recovery.  :cool:

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2004, 09:07:00 »
Thanks, your shirt will go out in the mail this weekned and you should have it by mid next week. Keep us posted on your timings, I may be able to make it out for a glass of beer.

As an update, I‘m in the process of obtaining a new connection which can handle more traffic for less money, so within a week or two we should be switched over.

Cheers

Jmacca

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2004, 14:47:00 »
Mike - I sent ya 18$ paypal for a shirt. Thanks and good luck

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2004, 17:02:00 »
Thanks!

Offline bossi

• "vae soli, vae victus"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • The puck stops here ('War On Ice'!) Fight Smarter!
    • My pix (on MSN)
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2004, 17:47:00 »
Hmmm ... maybe you could do some free-lance consulting for another website (and thus get somebody else to underwrite/defray the costs of Army.ca)

I just visited Frank magazine, and their forum is slower than molassssssssssses ... but it‘s remarkably similar to here ... hmmm ... I sense an alliance ... ?

Frank magazine
Junior officers and NCOs who neglect to guide the thinking of their men are shirking a command responsibility.
-Feb 1955 Cbt Forces Journal
Those who appreciate true valour should in their daily intercourse set gentleness first and aim to win the love and esteem of others. If you affect valour and act with violence, the world will in the end detest you and look upon you as wild beasts. Of this you should take heed.
-Emperor Meiji: Rescript to Soldiers and Sailors, 4 January 1883

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2004, 18:09:00 »
I have actually done the odd bit of freelance work and it helps keep Army.ca afloat... For example the forums at www.ducims.com and (ironically) the virtual exhibition for www.politicalgraphics.org to name a couple.

I use "passive" advertising though - that is, I‘ve never approached anyone, I let them come to me. Probably not the most effective way to run things, but it keeps it low key.

Cheers

Offline Hulk

• Rate Post
  • Nat
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2004, 09:43:00 »
All I have is a St. Willibrord Credit Union bank card... The thing says I can use one but only if it has a visa or mastercard logo? well mine doesnt but Im not sure if I can use it to pay or not... help?

J. Lightfoot
Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2004, 11:21:00 »
T-shirt received, thanks Mike.

Offline Hulk

• Rate Post
  • Nat
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2004, 14:32:00 »
nevermind, I just used a cheque and mailed it, I hope I did it right...

J. Lightfoot

Offline ErorZ

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • MCpl
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2004, 15:30:00 »
Received my shirt today too... pretty fast shipping there Mike   :)  

Nice shirt !!

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2004, 15:36:00 »
I‘m glad they arrived safe and sound.

Thanks for your support guys!

Jmacca

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2004, 15:27:00 »
Oh mine arrived as well. Thanks Mike

Offline Hulk

• Rate Post
  • Nat
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2004, 20:03:00 »
can you tell me if I did everything right with the cheque I sent you and if my shirt is on the way? sorry to be a bother but im impatient. lol

thanks,

J. Lighfoot

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2004, 20:10:00 »
Hi Hulk,

Yeah, you did everything right... I sent you an e-mail on Friday (when I recieved the cheque) but it may not have made it...

What it said is that all I have left are XLs, so I asked if you still want to go ahead or cancel.

Sorry for the delay!

Offline Hulk

• Rate Post
  • Nat
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2004, 23:15:00 »
****, I guess XL will have to do...I would say that I‘d use it as a nightie but...since I‘m in the army, I dont sleep...   ;)  

thanks,
J. Lightfoot

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2004, 08:14:00 »
LOL

Ok, I‘ll pack it up and get it out to you...

Thanks

Offline Hulk

• Rate Post
  • Nat
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2004, 17:07:00 »
sweet, 3 sticker bonus with my order! thanks a lot

Offline XHighlander

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2004, 14:49:00 »
mike;

shirts arrvied........ thanks for the bonus

they look great........ i will tell everyone i meet about the shirts and the site