Author Topic: Trades OPEN / CLOSED  (Read 615275 times)

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: About Getting Into Infantry
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2009, 13:57:27 »
I was told that they will not be selecting Infantry until April 2010, but that's the occupation I really want in the Army, so I'm willing to wait until then.  My question is in regards to BMQ...

Even though they aren't hiring more Infantry until April 2010, would the pre-emptively send someone through BMQ prior to that deadline so that when they leave BMQ, they'll be able to go through SQ and MOC almost immediately after finishing BMQ?  Hopefully I said that well enough.  It makes sense in my head, haha.

The specifics of your questions have already been directly answered, however you may be thinking that it doesn't make sense to wait until April to be given an offer when a lot of the common training could be done prior.  The simple answer to that is the government (and thus the CF) operates on a fiscal year of 1 April to 31 March - much of the planning is geared to that cycle especially if it involves spending money.  Therefore, manpower planning (guessing how many soldiers of what type, when to hire them and when to train them) is also geared to that time frame.  Apparently (based on comments posted on these means which may or may not be accurate), they have already hired (or made offers to) all the infantry recruits that they guessed would be needed this year, or didn't need as many as they thought since fewer got out or more (already trained) infanteers transferred from the reserve to the regular force.  The CF can't hire more than they are allowed (and have the money more) and they don't train more than they are allowed to hire (that costs money that they haven't budgetted).  Right now they can't hire any more but they know that (almost certainly) more will be needed in the new fiscal year and they will be allowed to hire them; those numbers just haven't been promulgated yet.  While they can't make an offer, they are able to do the processing - someone may become interested in something else or (a very faint possibility) some who were already scheduled to enter the pipeline don't and positions may open up before the new FY.

Only the recruiting centre can give you a definitive answer about the possibility of enrolling as infantry prior to April.  If you are seriously considering joining the CF (whether or not you can get infantry before April), there is little downside for you in completing the application process (applying does not mean enrolling, i.e. accepting an offer and swearing in) as soon as possible.  If infantry is available before April, you could be offered it;  if infantry is unavailable until April, you will have already completed the process and you could be offered it then; if in the meantime you change your mind and would accept another trade, you've already completed the process.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 14:02:49 by Blackadder1916 »
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline FromSafetyDataNOTSafe

• Rate Post
  • Bomber
    • KitBomb
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2009, 14:26:29 »
The day before my interview (last thing in my app process), I was asked if I wanted to change or wait (even though I was told "you'll get infantry" after my CFAT... :clubinhand: ). Not wanting to wait another year, I changed.

Wasn't easy. I was dead set on closing with and destroying the enemy and the whole infantry thing. My main interest has been the front line foot soldier doing the fighting... $h!t happens.

But I've decided to hold out on my new first choice. If they don't give me that, then I may be waiting anyways.

Good luck with your decision.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 14:30:23 by erikh »

aesop081

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2009, 14:29:23 »
I was dead set on closing with and destroying the enemy and the whole infantry thing. My main interest has been the front line foot soldier doing the fighting... $h!t happens.

I'm not sure what trade you settled on but i assure you that the infantry does not have a monopoly on all this.

Good luck with whatever trade you decided on joining.

• Rate Post
  • Bomber
    • KitBomb
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2009, 14:33:50 »
I'm not sure what trade you settled on but i assure you that the infantry does not have a monopoly on all this.

Good luck with whatever trade you decided on joining.
Yes, I had to get that through my thick skull. Decided on Combat Engineer as my first choice, arty second, then armoured.

Offline Engineer79

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2009, 01:49:59 »
Yes, I had to get that through my thick skull. Decided on Combat Engineer as my first choice, arty second, then armoured.

Are these choices for Reserves or Regular Forces? Because I was told Reserves do not have any more open spots for Combat Engineer or armored (in Toronto). You are good to go with Artillery.

• Rate Post
  • Bomber
    • KitBomb
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2009, 01:56:25 »
Regular

Offline Robodad

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2009, 09:09:32 »
According to the Strtegic Intake Plan (SIP) for FY 10/11, the amount for Infantry is:
400 PPCLI
300 R22eR
300 RCR

http://hr.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/dgmp/dpgr/downloads/parra_psr_bpd/sip_future_1011_b.xls

Offline Larkvall

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2009, 09:18:38 »
Are these choices for Reserves or Regular Forces? Because I was told Reserves do not have any more open spots for Combat Engineer or armored (in Toronto). You are good to go with Artillery.

No more open spots for combat engineer in Toronto?!

Offline KingofKeys

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2009, 14:03:10 »
No more open spots for combat engineer in Toronto?!
I actually went to a reserve information session at the Dennison armory last week and the SGT told us that combat engineer position at the 32nd CER was unavailable for the current fiscal year. The only option was Artillery in the combat arms reserves. Looking at your profile, it seems you are interested in 32nd CER as well- hand in your application ASAP so that you are in line for the next fiscal year (starting April of 2010). Good luck and see you in April!

Offline Larkvall

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2009, 14:09:26 »
I actually went to a reserve information session at the Dennison armory last week and the SGT told us that combat engineer position at the 32nd CER was unavailable for the current fiscal year. The only option was Artillery in the combat arms reserves. Looking at your profile, it seems you are interested in 32nd CER as well- hand in your application ASAP so that you are in line for the next fiscal year (starting April of 2010). Good luck and see you in April!

Hi,

I phoned Sgt. XXXX (probably the Sgt you talked to) this morning after reading the above post and he told me that 32nd CER was full, but I had already been accounted for (I handed in my application in late April). So I made it in time assuming I get the thumbs up from the RMO.

Edited by Roy Harding for PERSEC
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 14:00:32 by Roy Harding »

Offline KingofKeys

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2009, 14:19:03 »
Hi,

I phoned Sgt. XXXX (probably the Sgt you talked to) this morning after reading the above post and he told me that 32nd CER was full, but I had already been accounted for (I handed in my application in late April). So I made it in time assuming I get the thumbs up from the RMO.
Ah, that is good to hear! I just wish I had applied earlier as well. And yes, Sgt. XXXX was the one who conducted the very humorous information session.

Edited by Roy Harding for PERSEC
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 14:01:18 by Roy Harding »

Offline Kabalis

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2009, 15:58:28 »
Can anyone give me the odds of getting an offer for infantry in April 2010 if I have the following:

1. Entry Plan: Recruit School By-pass (due to my previous service)
2. Already on the merit list

would any of you kind CFRC troops give me a guesstimate on how good my chances are?  I was told that if I chose another trade, that I'd leave pretty quick, but I have my mind dead set on infantry and don't think I'd be really happy doing anything else.  (I'm ex-infantry and I'm returning to Infantry... hopefully).  any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S- For any of you new people who are going infantry, here's a tip:  Try your best to be careful.  The last thing you want is to get a training injury during hand to hand combat 2 weeks from graduation in LFCA TC Meaford's 14 week infantry course and end up being stuck in physiotherapy for nine months with no end in sight.  (the reason I VR'ed, figured id get out and try again after seeing that some guys were stuck there for 2+ years,  get myself in better shape and know what to expect for round 2... BIG mistake)

Thanks in advance ^^

Offline Otis

• Rate Post
  • Old enough to know better, too foolish to quit!
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2009, 16:08:02 »
Can anyone give me the odds of getting an offer for infantry in April 2010

Short Answer: NO

Longer answer: There are several variables, not the LEAST of which is how many Infantry (if any) we're hiring next year, which none of us knows until CFRG HQ tells us (sometime next year, usually late April).

There is also variables in your file etc. ... I know you said you were merit listed, but how long ago was your Medical (because it DOES expire ... and I don't really want to know, I'm just giving examples) etc. these things can all affect your "odds".

If your heart is set on Infantry, best to just wait, keep calling in to your CFRC every couple of months, make sure your stuff stays up-to-date and be patient.

Otis
Since I've been on the new medication, it's become MUCH easier to ignore the Stupid people.

Offline owa

• Episode 666
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2009, 16:35:00 »
For me, I've decided that I'm just going to spend between now and April getting in the best shape possible.

I'll hand everything in come December or January and hopefully be good to go in April!

It's funny, I almost got in a fight outside a bar a couple nights ago, but because my record is currently clean and because I don't want anything to give me grief down the road when trying to get into the Army, I had be more diplomatic (puss out) :p.

Al'ls well that ends well though!

Offline Kabalis

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2009, 10:28:43 »
According to the Strtegic Intake Plan (SIP) for FY 10/11, the amount for Infantry is:
400 PPCLI
300 R22eR
300 RCR

Can anyone confirm this?

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2009, 10:42:21 »
Can anyone confirm this?

Go look it up and confirm it yourself
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2009, 10:45:02 »
Can anyone confirm this?

PM Robodad and ask for the source.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Roy Harding

He\'s Back.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2009, 14:02:54 »
Folks - watch the PERSEC.  If the Sergeant in question wants his name all over public internet forums, he'll post it himself.

Roy Harding
Milnet.ca Staff
I love mankind.  It's people I can't stand.

Linus van Pelt

Offline Larkvall

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2009, 14:33:48 »
Okay Roy.

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2009, 16:27:28 »
Despite pressure from recruiters, my advice is to NEVER, NEVER, NEVER put down another choice of occupation if you would not seriously consider a career in that occupation.  If infantry is the only thing you want (although that choice boggles MY mind) then that is all you should put down.  If you're flexible, by all means put down other choices, but remember that there is a good possibility that you will be offered only your second or third.  I cannot count the number of folks I've had working for me over the years who were less than enthusiastic about their careers because they were in occupations that they had joined because they were available as opposed to what they wanted.  One final note, a favourite recruiting line (lie) is that if you join this occupation now, you can remuster later.  Yes, this is theoretically possible, but exceptionally difficult.  The reason is that in order to remuster, your current occupation has to be willing to let you go and your proposed new occupation has to be willing to accept you.  If you're not doing well in your current occupation, the other one won't accept you because they don't want somebody else's deadwood.  If you're doing well in your current occupation, they won't want to let you go.  The remuster process is rife with frustration.  In short, make your choices carefully at the Recruiting Centre.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline Otis

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2009, 21:29:32 »
Folks - watch the PERSEC.  If the Sergeant in question wants his name all over public internet forums, he'll post it himself.

Roy Harding
Milnet.ca Staff

Sorry Roy, I should have thought to mention that!  :oops:
Since I've been on the new medication, it's become MUCH easier to ignore the Stupid people.

Offline Otis

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2009, 21:41:53 »
Despite pressure from recruiters, {SNIP}
One final note, a favourite recruiting line (lie) is that if you join this occupation now, you can remuster later. 

Hmmm, somebody else trying to get my dander up!  :clubinhand:

SO ... which year exactly did YOU work in the Recruiting Center where you were taught to lie to people?

According to your profile, you are a LCdr with 26 years experience currently working at NDHQ?!

If this is true, I recommend that you try to be a little more diplomatic when discussing others' performance. As I've cautioned other officers here, calling someone a liar is a serious accusation,and someone looking at your profile is going to add extra weight to your opinion.

We do not lie, mislead, sell or any other action. We tell people the truth, and they often hear what they want to hear (it's human nature) ... I take GREAT offence to anyone accusing me of lying! In fact, just TODAY I told someone almost EXACTLY the same words that you have used WRT re-mustering.

Furthermore, I'd put MY record of lies-to-applicants up against the record of lies-coming-out-of-NDHQ ANY day ... (score 0 - ???)

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2009, 21:52:53 »
If you're not doing well in your current occupation, the other one won't accept you because they don't want somebody else's deadwood.  If you're doing well in your current occupation, they won't want to let you go.

That's a real "Catch-22"!

aesop081

« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2009, 22:00:23 »
That's a real "Catch-22"!

It is not. Remustering is not impossible by any means and is not
exceptionally difficult
when it comes to most trades. Being good at your current MOC serves very much in your favour. The major hurdle is the personel levels of your current trade. If the trade is "red', then your chances are very slim. In my experience, the Navy and the army make it difficult for their members to OT by using various scare tactics and the lack of knowledge of applicable orders by a good proportion of their members.

Offline Roy Harding

He\'s Back.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2009, 23:49:25 »
Pusser:

Stay in your lanes.  It's readily apparent that you don't know what you're talking about regarding recruiting.  And accusing ANY branch of having a policy of telling lies is bordering on trolling.

You're fairly new around here - consider this your freebie.

Roy Harding
Milnet.ca Staff
I love mankind.  It's people I can't stand.

Linus van Pelt