Author Topic: Canadian Special Operations Force Command (CANSOFCOM)  (Read 73294 times)

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
Re: Can anyone really join CANSOFCOM?
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2018, 20:02:14 »
Patrolling and weapons handling aren't specialized skills, they are the basics.

Offline FinnO25

• Rate Post
  • Drive Fast, And Leave A Sexy Corpse
Re: Canadian Special Operations Force Command (CANSOFCOM)
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2019, 09:29:36 »
That actually not accurate, Patrolling is a skill that can be enhanced, I mean as being seen from the Recce point of view, In 3RCR there is a noticeable difference in skill there. Skills can always be enhanced. Thats why courses such as BRP, ARP, and Pathfinder exist.
Today I do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
Re: Canadian Special Operations Force Command (CANSOFCOM)
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2019, 20:55:38 »
That actually not accurate, Patrolling is a skill that can be enhanced, I mean as being seen from the Recce point of view, In 3RCR there is a noticeable difference in skill there. Skills can always be enhanced. Thats why courses such as BRP, ARP, and Pathfinder exist.

Yeah, I should have been more clear. Patrolling is a basic soldier skill, that can be specialized and honed with the courses you mentioned. That's why its taught in BMQ-L and Inf DP1.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
Re: Can anyone really join CANSOFCOM?
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2019, 08:59:33 »
Hello world,

Quick(ish) question:

I’ve searched through many forums and other sites online and keep coming to the same point, that all members of the Canadian Forces, regardless of their trade or branch, may apply to CANSOFCOM.

However, on the CANSOFCOM website (https://www.canada.ca/en/special-operations-forces-command/corporate/job-opportunities/how-to-join.html) it states: “Civilians cannot join CANSOFCOM directly. Canadian Armed Forces personnel joining CANSOFCOM must have completed their operationally functional point (OFP) in their current occupation and demonstrate that they have the special attributes and training desired to fill these demanding roles.”

My question relates to the “special attributes and training desired”. Someone who is an infantry soldier has the ability to develop specialized skills like patrolling, weapons handling, mountain warfare, parachuting and much more. These are the bare minimum skills that I imagine are needed in the special forces...or am I wrong? Is it truly possible for someone who does not possess this same training to be accepted in an operator role?

For example, let’s say I go to school and become a dentist and then join the CAF as a dental officer (I could even go through DOTP). If I then later decide that I want to join CANSOFCOM, me the dentist will not have the same military training as an infantry soldier. So, will I never be accepted for an operator position even if I show exceptional motivation, leadership, interpersonal skills and the required fitness? Would I have to change my occupation, or are there any courses that someone like me could take on the side?

I was always confused by this “anyone can be selected” point and I was hoping that a fine individual could clarify it for me!

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

SOF are what they are in part due to being very selective about who they bring in - the character traits they filter and screen for - and in part by an absolutely disciplined mastery of the basics as the foundation for advanced tactics, techniques, and procedures. They are then afforded fantastic materiel resources and logistical support to let them excel.

Of those two things, the skills can be taught. It’s the personality type that has to be brought by the candidate. If the right person walks in the door, they can be taught anything they need to know how to do. We teach recruits how to handle weapons and patrol in a matter of weeks. They are not difficult-to-access skills. If you really want to go the route of SOF, you can genuinely do it from any trade in the CAF. The combat arms may equip you with some practice in dealing with some true physical suck, but again that’s something anyone with the motivation and discipline can work through if they have set it as a goal and work towards it.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.