Author Topic: BMQ Failure Rate  (Read 30844 times)

Offline Bert

• Rate Post
  • Military
Re: BMQ Failure Rate
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2004, 00:38:00 »
Sorry to break into the debate, and maybe I‘ve got the wrong perspective, but I think you may expect too much for the BMQ courses, regular or reserve.  In no way is recruit graduating BMQ a professional, useful, or trained to be anything yet.  The course contents like the C7, gas mask, drill, etc, are just MERE introductions.  The instructors have to be successful to instill a sense of professionalism, drive, and purpose.  The recruit has to be exposed to military life
for extended periods for it to rub off.
Given that reservists have to pay the bills, pay the rent, keep a full time job with obligations,
and be fresh to face civy life 06:00 AM Monday morning, you can really only do so much on weekend BMQs.  The Unit and future exercises the recruits return to are the opportunities to lead by example and mold the professionalism, drive, and purpose.  There they get the time to understand what drive, disipline, and purpose really are.

Offline Sigs Guy

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2005, 19:26:51 »
Well, I don't have much to comment on here since I don't have much experience in the army. But I am applying to the reserves, and have my fingers crossed hoping that my application goes smoothly and I can get into BMQ. Right now I'm trying to get as physically fit as possible so I can be all that I can be on the course. I kindof wish that I applied to the reserves when I was 16 when I look back at it. But the fact that some recruits don't give the instructors respect, and alot "quit" when they find out what the army is really about astonishes me. I'm thinking that when I do my BMQ I'll keep my mouth shut, and always listen to what those with above me tell me.
"I submit to you that if a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. "
"Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?' "

Martin Luther King Jr

Military mind

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2005, 00:43:45 »
Those who fail are those who are poorly prepared or those who find out they aren't cut out for a military career.   :'(

Offline Armstrong

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 03:47:42 »
Half of the people don't pass BMW the first time

Offline kratz

Fall: Sweater Weather.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 06:59:54 »
Half of the people don't pass BMW the first time

Without ever having been to BMQ, you are starting as fact a 50% failure for first time students. Less posting and more reading, to avoid passing along rumour or uninformed opinion.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Armstrong

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2018, 14:22:45 »
I've completed bmq 5 years ago true story.
Good luck on your trade courses even harder to pass . makes bmq look like elementary school .

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2018, 17:25:11 »
Good luck on your trade courses even harder to pass . makes bmq look like elementary school .

Even so, the information you insist on sharing is neither helpful nor accurate. Perhaps you’ve had only rough experiences with your course/training the first time around and your PRes unit was struggling. Individual perspectives/experiences obviously vary, but your blanket statements are not welcome.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 17:27:51 by BeyondTheNow »
"Stop worrying about getting back to who you were before it all went wrong. To heal is to understand that the person you've since become is the one who's most capable of doing whatever it is you were put here to do."~SR

Offline Mason Jar

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2018, 00:34:36 »
In 2017 you said you were applying for armoured "recon". A couple of days ago you posted a rant about how long your enrollment process is taking, care to clear up on how you could have completed BMQ 5 years ago?
Recruiting Center: Toronto
Regular/Reserve: Reserves
Officer/ NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Artillery Soldier
Trade Choice 2: Combat engineer
Trade Choice 3: Armoured Soldier
Application date: October 25, 2017
First Contact: October 26, 2017
Aptitude test: November 2, 2017 (passed)
FORCE test: November 2, 2017 (passed)
Medical: November 9, 2017
Interview: November 15, 2017 (passed)
Med approved: Pending

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2018, 00:39:14 »
A couple of days ago you posted a rant about how long your enrollment process is taking, care to clear up on how you could have completed BMQ 5 years ago?

I used to be ex CAF member back from 2011-2015 and did a Volunteer Release for 2-3 years.

Offline Mason Jar

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2018, 00:40:00 »
Oh my bad, I missed that part!
Recruiting Center: Toronto
Regular/Reserve: Reserves
Officer/ NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Artillery Soldier
Trade Choice 2: Combat engineer
Trade Choice 3: Armoured Soldier
Application date: October 25, 2017
First Contact: October 26, 2017
Aptitude test: November 2, 2017 (passed)
FORCE test: November 2, 2017 (passed)
Medical: November 9, 2017
Interview: November 15, 2017 (passed)
Med approved: Pending

Offline IanLaw

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2018, 22:33:00 »
I am quite pleased with my own efforts on BMQ at age 35 and would be ashamed of myself if I gave less than my all. To see 18 year old little pumpkins without the simple IQ to tie thier own shoes and the physical conditioning to hump thier ruck a couple of Kms is somewhat bothersome.

I have been staff on several BMQ and DP1 courses. The 35-year-old candidates in my experience often have an advantage over their 18-year-old coursemates because the older candidates are often more resilient mentally.

One of the more recent changes to these courses that I can really get behind is the renewed focus on developing mental resiliency among our soldiers, sailors and aviators. 

angus555

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2018, 22:54:15 »
I have been staff on several BMQ and DP1 courses. The 35-year-old candidates in my experience often have an advantage over their 18-year-old coursemates because the older candidates are often more resilient mentally.

One of the more recent changes to these courses that I can really get behind is the renewed focus on developing mental resiliency among our soldiers, sailors and aviators.

I appreciate your thoughts on this, but I couldn't help but notice that you quoted a post from 2003.
I realized many of the kids starting BMQ soon would have been 3 years old when that post was made.
I feel like I need a drink now. ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 23:02:35 by Til Valhall »

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2018, 08:55:55 »

Yes.

On a side note, I’m curious as to which angle instructors find easier to instruct/which they’d prefer to instruct when it comes down to it—Candidates in peak physical condition able to handle any physical task put forth, or those who can simply do what’s required physically (nothing to exceptional standards though), but can handle the psychological aspect of training much more appropriately.
"Stop worrying about getting back to who you were before it all went wrong. To heal is to understand that the person you've since become is the one who's most capable of doing whatever it is you were put here to do."~SR

Offline CanexPlanIsATrap

• Rate Post
  • Drive Fast, And Leave A Sexy Corpse
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2018, 09:22:19 »
If I can add something to this point made. Being in my final week here in St.Jean i have noticed a lot in the past 12 weeks one being is that if you don't have drive or passion for being here then you won't pass. However Pass/Fail rate is specific for platoon, for example my BMQ Serial started with 4 full platoons all with 60 Candidates, as of our grad week our french sister platoon has 28 students left, our other 2 english platoons have above 40 still. Another very large factor is the staff you get, in St.Jean you can have either Hell Platoon, Hollywood Platoon, or Party Platoon. I think the names speak for themselves. The bottom line here is don't come to BMQ with the mentality of "Am I going to fail" come with the mentality of "This is a breeze" you will be fine. Final point is that your instructors aren't there to fail you, that want to see you pass!
Today I do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2018, 10:25:23 »
in St.Jean you can have either Hell Platoon, Hollywood Platoon, or Party Platoon.

:rofl:

Our son told us he was in Hell Platoon, but maybe they all say that? I seem to recall my sister telling our parents something similar.

Congratulations Finn and good luck in your career. I hope you enjoy a long one!

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 10:45:36 by mariomike »

Offline CanexPlanIsATrap

• Rate Post
  • Drive Fast, And Leave A Sexy Corpse
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2018, 10:55:22 »
Ahahaha Thanks Mike! I can tell you one thing for free, I was in party platoon. 
Today I do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2018, 11:11:41 »
You know what, Finn? I believe you!  :)

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2018, 21:11:59 »
:rofl:

Our son told us he was in Hell Platoon, but maybe they all say that? I seem to recall my sister telling our parents something similar.

Congratulations Finn and good luck in your career. I hope you enjoy a long one!

Yup. All pl’s are not created equal. My 1st pl was Hollywood, as they say. ‘Average age was well into 20s and older, mostly comprised of support trades, jackings were rare, punishment PT (not referred to as that anymore) only happened once within a 7 week period, we were allowed trips to Canex and such during indoc, etc. It was a breeze compared to my 2nd. On my second pl we had punishment PT 3xs in one day, staff (mostly) only had one manner of speaking—yelling. Pl was almost totally comprised of combat arms, gym periods and overall daily dynamic was exceptionally more intense in all ways. That being said, as hard as the staff was, they were good.

Offline theprivate

• Rate Post
  • Isn't being the only Pte in your squadron great?
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2018, 09:03:03 »
Yes.

On a side note, I’m curious as to which angle instructors find easier to instruct/which they’d prefer to instruct when it comes down to it—Candidates in peak physical condition able to handle any physical task put forth, or those who can simply do what’s required physically (nothing to exceptional standards though), but can handle the psychological aspect of training much more appropriately.

I did basic Nov 17-Feb 18

I was one of the latter. I couldn't do everything physically, but you'd have to shoot me before I would give up. I kept that attitude the whole way though, and it got the junior staff on my side, even if the PO1 and his 2IC didn't like me.

Unfortunately I was recoursed week 3 due to pneumonia (fever so bad I was wearing my ice jacket in the hottest room in the drill hall, feeling like I was freezing to death) and when I got the shitty news from the 2IC on that course, he told me I was his favourite type of candidate. The kind who would try their best at whatever was asked of them and even when they failed, they wouldn't quit.

Then I went on TRP for a week and joined a course with much harder staff of course  ::)

Offline theprivate

• Rate Post
  • Isn't being the only Pte in your squadron great?
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2018, 09:10:33 »
If I can add something to this point made. Being in my final week here in St.Jean i have noticed a lot in the past 12 weeks one being is that if you don't have drive or passion for being here then you won't pass. However Pass/Fail rate is specific for platoon, for example my BMQ Serial started with 4 full platoons all with 60 Candidates, as of our grad week our french sister platoon has 28 students left, our other 2 english platoons have above 40 still. Another very large factor is the staff you get, in St.Jean you can have either Hell Platoon, Hollywood Platoon, or Party Platoon. I think the names speak for themselves. The bottom line here is don't come to BMQ with the mentality of "Am I going to fail" come with the mentality of "This is a breeze" you will be fine. Final point is that your instructors aren't there to fail you, that want to see you pass!

Hey man, I think we were on sister platoons. I was on the Hell one.

Most people dropped because they kept messing up over and over and weren't learning from it. I would screw something up, get yelled at, and not do it again. I finished the course with only 3 counsellings when the average was probably around 5, and that was entirely because the staff never had to talk to me about the same thing twice. Now I was no superstar, believe me, but I worked my butt of to make sure I didn't screw up repeatedly and it paid off.

A couple people got recoursed for being sick, but most just did dumb crap. DON'T DO DUMB crap AND YOU'LL BE FINE.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2018, 09:16:09 »
DON'T DO DUMB crap AND YOU'LL BE FINE.

This should be a t-shirt slogan :)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2018, 09:27:31 »
DON'T DO DUMB crap AND YOU'LL BE FINE.

See also,

What not to do - No excuse BMQ tips [Merged]
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=34712.0
29 pages.

Reasons for failing BMQ?
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=108377.0

"Ways to Fail Basic":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,1147.0/nowap.html

"Do many recruits fail Basic Training?":
 http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,12909.msg54977.html#msg54977

"Pass/Fail Tests":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=13585

"The best way to pass those tests is to pay attention in lectures, take good notes, study diligently when you have the time to do so (breaks, after meals and before bed), and learn drills exactly as your instructors teach them. Ask questions of your instructors at the time if you are unsure of anything. Practice drills and rehearse questions/answers with your peers throughout the course, not just the night before a written test. (And don‘t go in depending on half-remembered one liners from the net.)

The principal pass/fail tests are weapon checks where any safety infraction is an immediate fail. You will get retrained, refreshed and retested if you have difficulty, but repeated failures in one area or difficulty with multiple checks can lead to failure and recourse."

What happens if you fail BMQ?
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=57336.0

Is it possible to fail BMQ for PT reasons or because of injury?
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=97225.0

passing courses at BMQ 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=94749.0

etc...

Offline ontheedge

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2018, 20:44:34 »
I posted a poll asking people to share injuries they acquired during BMQ. And whether the injuries were transient, long lasting or permanent. That poll seems to have been removed or put somewhere else.  If the mod or others can enlighten me that would be appreciated.

Online garb811

• MP/MPO Question Answerer
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2018, 14:58:04 »
I didn't see the poll, but I am skeptical as to what you would be trying to achieve with it. Statistically, you're not going to get a proper sampling and the data is not actually going to be reflective on the actual situation. 

Therefore, unless the site owner or Chief of Staff deem otherwise, please do not post a poll of that nature.

-Milnet.ca Staff

Offline ontheedge

• Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2018, 16:18:22 »
Wouldn’t that reasoning apply to all polling on this site?  In which case, why have the polling option at all?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 16:23:13 by ontheedge »