Author Topic: Heights in Basic traning (Fear of Heights)  (Read 27858 times)

Offline Glorified Ape

• Rate Post
  • Managing expectations is the key to success.
Re: Heights in Basic traning (Fear of Heights)
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2006, 16:09:27 »
Wow, really? I remember the first time I rapelled... it was right after I finished my BMQ. I went on adventure training with my unit... We rapelled off of a cliff that was actually pretty high. Made me pretty confident in my ability to tie swiss seats.

I guess not everyone rappels - my first rappel was in Farnham on IAP, the second was in Farnham on BOTC.

There is a requirment to rappel in Farnam - the short wall, high wall, and skid, sometimes with the sloped wall too.

There is also a fixed line traverse that starts about 30 feet off the ground, a requirment to jump off the high diving board into the pool (to simulate abandoning a ship) and ropes to climbed.

We did the short wall, high wall, and sloped wall but the skid was optional and only offered on my BOTC (not on IAP). We did do the zip line, maritime crossing (if that's the wire bridge), swim test, and ropes but I don't think they were mandatory insofar as they weren't POs. The rappelling was optional on BOTC/IAP, IIRC. Do you know if it's mandatory on Phase II/III (Infantry)? I would hope so, but I have no idea.
Bureaucracy is hell.

Offline Sigs Guy

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2006, 16:32:57 »
- If a recruit has an EXTREME fear of heights, can he be excused from this small portion? (even if it means having to do something else that is harder on you)

I highly doubt it, while doing my BMQ people had a fear of heights but were told to do the entire obstacle course. They want you to be able to overcome your fears in order to complete basic.  If I am wrong on any of this please correct me.
"I submit to you that if a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. "
"Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?' "

Martin Luther King Jr

Offline fear in combat is poison

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2006, 08:40:53 »
So is it safe to say that there is not a whole lot of time spent in BMQ that involve heights?  I have viewed two different BMQ videos and read the course outline, but thought it would be better to hear it from the source.  If anyone who has recently completed or is currently doing their BMQ, I would love to hear details of how ofter or the exact heightts of what I should expect.  It would be good to get an idea of exactly how heigh up I need to mentally prepair myself to be.

Offline IT_Dude_Joeschmo

• Rate Post
  • Getting 1's and 0's to flow...
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2006, 08:58:10 »
So is it safe to say that there is not a whole lot of time spent in BMQ that involve heights?  I have viewed two different BMQ videos and read the course outline, but thought it would be better to hear it from the source.  If anyone who has recently completed or is currently doing their BMQ, I would love to hear details of how ofter or the exact heightts of what I should expect.  It would be good to get an idea of exactly how heigh up I need to mentally prepair myself to be.

Well, forget even going through heights on BMQ, during the course of your regular training year, you might trained to do airborn ops from a Griffon (helicopter). You might be trained to rappel from it or simply be picked up/dropped off from one. I wouldn't think someone who is afraid of heights would like a helicopter because you do get quite the view, and the way they fly when in "tactical" means sharp and hard turns which would have you out the door if not for a very nice seatbelt.

Mind you it's an awesome ride and you do get quite a view if you get a door seat!!!!
"When I retire, I want to become a gay Hollywood actor, they always make more money!"... My old boss's plans ;)

ACISS-IST's, look here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/239432422884449

PS> It's not a trap!

Offline GO!!!

• Fallen Comrade
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Often have I regretted my speech, never my silence
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2006, 19:55:03 »

As I said earlier, if you are unable to face and conquer your fears, look elsewhere for a job. You don't want to be the one to have their death grip slowly peeled off, finger by finger by an instructor, as you hang on for dear life on the helo skid tower, only to fall five feet and be brought to a stop by the brakeman.

Then everyone laughs at you, and takes pictures, while you are lowered to the ground - inverted.

The skid is 30 feet from the ground if you decide to do it.

Every rational person has a fear of heights, you simply have to beat it.
No leader was ever hated for being too hard, but a great many were for attempting to appear that way.

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2006, 20:58:41 »
Hey GO!!!, this "skid" you speak of, is it referring to the repelling portion of BMQ?  I was thinking it was like 60+ feet or something (it looked pretty high in the video).  Is 30 feet the most to expect in BMQ?  I think I can learn to deal with that.

Offline GO!!!

• Fallen Comrade
  • Army.ca Veteran
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2006, 22:18:04 »
The skid is 30 feet, the fixed line traverse is about 100 feet at the deepest point of the valley it traverses, and helicopter rappelling is done from 100 feet as well.

Go to a climbing wall/ferris wheel, bungee jumping place wherever you live, and confront your fear. One girl on my course had to be dragged out of the port-a-john where she had been hiding in St.Jean and almost forced off the tower. She cried the whole time, and screamed on the way down. It was hilarious!

You really dont want to be "that guy".
No leader was ever hated for being too hard, but a great many were for attempting to appear that way.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2006, 05:59:47 »
The military has a way of exploiting everyone's fears. For me it was claustrophobia. I knew I was claustrophobic before, but I didn't really imagine that it would be a problem on basic....that was until I had to throw on the restricting bunny suit and gas mask...
...To overcome this I started to wear my bunny suit around my house. I was writing essays in my bunny suit, watching TV in it etc until I just became comfortable with it.

I have a bit of claustrophobia, but my wife will not let me wear my bunnysuit inside after the last incident...

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2006, 08:09:27 »
can anyone give the expected height of these specific items:

- the rope you have to climb in the gym?

- repelling (I've heard from 32 - 120 feet)?

- swim test (I've heard different numbers here, just wanted to confirm)?

I think GO!!! already explained the fixed line traverse well enough.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 08:15:58 by S McPhee »

Offline IT_Dude_Joeschmo

• Rate Post
  • Getting 1's and 0's to flow...
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2006, 09:23:28 »
It honestly doesn't make a difference too much if it's 35 feet or 72 feet or a hundred feet does it? Your going to be slightly terrified either way right??? In the swim test, you jump off like a 5 foot diving board into the water, it's not even really a raised platform. And you don't jump head first... :P

If your in the reserves, you probably won't get the chance to do any rappelling on your BMQ/SQ/BIQ etc.... At least no one in the courses I went through got to do it this summer in Meaford short of 1 Plt I can think of...

Face your fears, live your dreams man! I suggest GO!!!'s advice also, just go find something local you can jump off, or, go skydiving. If you are truely terrified of heights, well, good luck to you then!

Joe
"When I retire, I want to become a gay Hollywood actor, they always make more money!"... My old boss's plans ;)

ACISS-IST's, look here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/239432422884449

PS> It's not a trap!

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2006, 09:34:26 »
can anyone give the expected height of these specific items:

- the rope you have to climb in the gym?  A sufficient height to die from if you fall on your neck.

- repelling (I've heard from 32 - 120 feet)?  A sufficient height to die from if you fall on your neck.

- swim test (I've heard different numbers here, just wanted to confirm)?  A sufficient height to die from if you dive into the shallow end head first and hit your neck.

I think GO!!! already explained the fixed line traverse well enough.

S McPhee, seriously...you need to talk to somebody I think...not that I'm counting, but many if not most of your posts seem to be fixated about heights.  Honestly, you will either have to move beyond it, or perhaps military life isn't for you.  Go to Canada's Wonderland and ride "Drop Zone"...it's actually a smooth ride and you'll wonder what the heck you were worrying about.  Heights are totally psychological.

Cheers,
Duey

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2006, 11:09:52 »
Yeah, I know most of my posts have been about heights, and that's only because everything about joining the Navy seems perfect except the heights in BMQ part.  I already have friends and family in the Forces and they say that after BMQ, you will not even have to deal with it again (I'm going for NES OP).  I've also been told by  people that the repelling portion in BMQ is not mandatory and that it is not required to pass the course. 

I am again not trying to whine, etc, I was trying to mentally prepair myself for what to expect when I DO try it.  I'm already cool with 20-30 feet, anything higher, I have some work to do to prepair myself.  I just figured that knowing what is coming my way, helps me prepair myself mentally.  Man.... I sure can't wait to get BMQ over with (although I am still waiting for medical clearance to be put back to "normal" status and then wait for an interview).

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all of the feedback and I am going to try my best and just suck it up.

Offline MountainRunner

• Rate Post
  • "I have become comfortably numb." - Pink Floyd
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2006, 11:33:26 »
S McPhee,

In the words of Tom Petty, "Most thing I worry about never happen anyway."

People have given you lots of good advice.  The only way you're going to get over this is to get out there and do it....and do it before BMQ so you break the ice.

You're focusing on the fear.  Instead of that, picture the relief and pride you're going to feel when it's all over.  You'll feel unstoppable.  And if heights are the only things that scare you, then consider yourself lucky.  Your comrades are going to struggle with their own demons - personal problem, poor academics, bad impulse control, etc.  Some of them just don't know it yet.  And some of them will struggle their entire career.  You just have to step over that lip a couple times and it's over in a couple minutes.

You'll get through this.  You're just letting it become bigger than it is.  Don't think I know what I'm talking about?  I absolutely do.  :)
Good luck.

"I can see you on the hill, comatose but walking still." - Neil Young

Offline Sigs Guy

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2006, 20:23:03 »
You can also die on the ground. If your afraid of death or getting injured the military isn't the best career to choose. They have obstacles which are designed to challenge your fear of heights to make you overcome an obstacle.
"I submit to you that if a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. "
"Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?' "

Martin Luther King Jr

Offline WebAddict

• Rate Post
  • Don't forget to breath during your testing!
    • Slick-Studio
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2006, 20:41:28 »
 I cant climb ropes , it something I havent learned,? do they teach u how?

Offline GO!!!

• Fallen Comrade
  • Army.ca Veteran
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2006, 00:14:29 »
I cant climb ropes , it something I havent learned,? do they teach u how?

Yes. As long as you can hold your bodyweight up with your hands, you can climb ropes - it is mostly technique, not strength

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
  • Insert deep thought.....
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2006, 01:34:02 »
I was terrified of heights as well. Still am a little bit. Screamed the entire way on the zip line on my basic. When I got to my first posting, a buddy took me out rock climbing and precede to scare the living cra* out of me. Now, after a decade of active rock climbing/rapelling/bungee jumping, I'm good to go. It can be beaten, trust me. It will still be scary, but it can be overcome. Everyone here has been saying pretty much the same things.
Ohh, and from good buds that were boarding party, rapelling out of a chopper happens as well as up and over the side of a boat. Face your fears and go for it. The adrenaline rush will more than compensate.
Why are there swamps on top of hills?

Offline Mikehamilton565

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2006, 12:03:52 »
ok well i was reading down some and someone said that you have to jump off a platform into water and climb back up is that true if so how big is the climb up......
What do you repell off of... how high is this platform or whatever it is .... do you just dangel there ... Im pretty scared of heights but iam pretty sure i can push my self if i can be kinda prepared for it....

P.S iam looking for someone that has recently went through St.Jean

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2006, 12:55:29 »
ok well i was reading down some and someone said that you have to jump off a platform into water and climb back up is that true if so how big is the climb up......
What do you repell off of... how high is this platform or whatever it is .... do you just dangel there ... Im pretty scared of heights but iam pretty sure i can push my self if i can be kinda prepared for it....

P.S iam looking for someone that has recently went through St.Jean
Looks like someone didn't read this Topic.   ::)
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline GO!!!

• Fallen Comrade
  • Army.ca Veteran
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2006, 22:18:21 »
Here Mike, I'll make it easy for you;

If you spend more time on the computer than at the gym, the army is not for you.

If you need to sit down for a break on the way to the fridge, the army is not for you.

If you find the prospect of climbing onto a diving board, that six year old girls throw themselves off with wild glee and abandon scary, or something that you "need to prepare yourself for", just look for a job elsewhere.

If you still can't make a decision, read the rest of the thread - all of your questions are answered there.  :)

Offline ACE_Engineer

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2018, 11:52:37 »
Had a question about Rappelling in BMQ/BMOQ, so I searched on Google and this is the first topic it was mentioned in. Sorry for reviving an old thread.

I was watching a documentary on Marine Corps Basic Training to mentally prepare (however much is possible) for my BMOQ. There were three things in there that stood out to me (apart from the incredibly excessive yelling, holy jeez), and I wanted to know if they are included in Canadian Forces BMQ/BMOQ.

- Rappelling - I really want to learn this. Is this still included in BMOQ?
- Swim test - I'm an average swimmer. Do they teach you how to swim, or is it a straight test?
- Rope climbing - I have never climbed a rope. I can do chin-ups/pull-ups, but can't climb a rope (it's embarrassing). I want to learn how to do this. Is this part of the o-course?

Thank you to everyone who answers!

Edit: Found one of my answers in a different thread: It's a straight swim test, and is not included in many Reserve BMQs.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 12:06:03 by ACE_Engineer »

Offline OceanBonfire

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2018, 20:46:57 »
Had a question about Rappelling in BMQ/BMOQ, so I searched on Google and this is the first topic it was mentioned in. Sorry for reviving an old thread.

I was watching a documentary on Marine Corps Basic Training to mentally prepare (however much is possible) for my BMOQ. There were three things in there that stood out to me (apart from the incredibly excessive yelling, holy jeez), and I wanted to know if they are included in Canadian Forces BMQ/BMOQ.

- Rappelling - I really want to learn this. Is this still included in BMOQ?
- Swim test - I'm an average swimmer. Do they teach you how to swim, or is it a straight test?
- Rope climbing - I have never climbed a rope. I can do chin-ups/pull-ups, but can't climb a rope (it's embarrassing). I want to learn how to do this. Is this part of the o-course?

Thank you to everyone who answers!

Edit: Found one of my answers in a different thread: It's a straight swim test, and is not included in many Reserve BMQs.

There is rappelling: one done at 15 feet, the other at 30 feet.

No swim test because the pool at St-Jean is closed. I never asked why.

No rope climbing but there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqc4wWM6u5U
Recruiting Center: Montreal
Regular/Reserve: Regular Force
Officer/NCM: Officer (DEO)
Occupation choice #2: Logistics Officer (Selected)
Current application: March 28, 2017
CFAT: Previously completed in November 2011
Interview: July 11, 2017
Medical: August 2017
Competition list: October/November 2017
Position Offered: May 25, 2018
Swearing In: August 21, 2018
BMOQ: August 25, 2018
BMOQ Graduation: November 15, 2018

Offline ACE_Engineer

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2018, 22:15:39 »
Thank you, OB. Once again, you've provided great info!

Offline stoker dave

• Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2018, 16:09:16 »
This is how I look at rock climbing and rappelling:

One part of my brain screams in terror that I am going to die.  The other part of my brain says that I have the equipment, training and skills not to die. 

I have learned to make the reasonable part of my brain tell the other unreasonable part to shut up.  For a military career, you will trust your life (and those around you) to your equipment, training and skills.

I might *speculate* this is part of basic training to make sure future military people can overcome fear by trusting what they know.  And it is a good life skill.