Author Topic: SIGINT  (Read 24015 times)

Offline Bender842

• Rate Post
Re: SIGINT
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2006, 22:48:24 »
oh crap almost forgot here's a very comprehensive link about the sigint, ukusa and such, it gives you a broad idea of that world.

also the NSA currently has 80 000 employees around the world and is considered as one of the best source of intelligence and also as on the most inefective one, depends on who you ask. Some will only rely on HUMINT.

Good book on the matter: http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1400060346/qid=1138592869/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1_1/702-3838364-1202413

Chatter: Dispatches from the Secret World of Global Eavesdropping
by Patrick Radden Keefe (Author)
Join in the new game that's sweeping the country.  It's called "Bureaucracy".  Everybody stands in a circle.  The first person to do anything loses.

Offline Ex-fusilier

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2006, 17:16:03 »
Some good open source on SIGINT.  That's about as far as we can go with that though!  We're not called secret squirrels for no reason

Offline Bender842

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2006, 19:07:49 »
blahh it's easy to figure out most of the stuff and capability, and well also real expectation. cause even if theoricly any radio wave or communication can be picked up, you still have to localize the one you want, scrap all the unwanted bullshit, then translate whatever you picked up, figure out if they speak in some sort of weird dialect and them what is the lingo or expression they use to designate particular concepts.

So all in all given the amount of communication going these days the usefulness of the sigint community is very debatable.
Join in the new game that's sweeping the country.  It's called "Bureaucracy".  Everybody stands in a circle.  The first person to do anything loses.

Offline Ex-fusilier

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2006, 20:09:50 »
I have to disagree on that point old friend.  I will say that it's a fact that the SIGINT community is a vital part of the Intelligence community.  It's usefulness is very debated by the public, and mainly by people who don't have access to their product/information.   
As far as the productivity or usefulness of SIGINT, I'm not going to get into that for two reasons: 1) I'm hardly qualifed to do such, and 2) It's not really something that anyone that has anything to do with it is willing to talk about....for obvious reasons.

There are a lot of good books out there on this stuff, but remember, authors want to sell books!  The truth is often a lot less exciting or sensational.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2006, 20:31:52 »
As we are all speculative in this topic, and facts can not be published, I am locking this thread before we cross the OPSEC Line.

DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.