Author Topic: Priority Hiring in Fed Pub Svc (info, news, hints, tips, etc. - merged)  (Read 76660 times)

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
Priority Hiring in the Federal Public Service.
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2011, 14:03:21 »

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/News/Local/2011-01-12/article-2108838/Veterans-Affairs-to-give-vets-hiring-priority/1

Veterans Affairs to give vets hiring priorityPublished on January 11th, 2011
Ryan Ross  Topics : Veterans Affairs , Charlottetown

Veterans could soon take priority when it comes to hiring at Veterans Affairs, says the minister responsible for the department.

Veterans Affairs Minister Jean-Pierre Blackburn was in Charlottetown Tuesday as part of a visit to the Maritimes for meetings with Veterans Affairs staff.

During an interview with media, Blackburn said veterans will have priority hiring for jobs in the department, except in cases where it would result in a job loss for someone else.

“After that our first priority is to our veterans. They have to have the ability to do the job, but that’s what we want to introduce,” he said.

Blackburn said the department is in the process of implementing the changes to give veterans priority hiring, but it hasn’t taken effect yet and he didn’t know when it would start.

“We realize we don’t have enough so we are implementing this process.”

There was a lot of criticism directed at the department recently and Blackburn said he realized it needed to re-evaluate how Veterans Affairs delivered services to veterans.

“They are proud to serve in the Canadian army but they did not ask to come back with injuries so we want to make sure if this happen they will be well protected,” he said.

Blackburn said if an injured veteran follows a rehabilitation program they will be paid a minimum of $40,000 per year and if they can’t go back to work they will receive a minimum of $58,000 annually.

He added veterans now have a choice to take the benefits as a lump sum payment or spread out annually.

“It will be their choice and that will be much better adapted to their reality.”

Another initiative the department has undertaken is to reduce by 1/3 the amount of time it takes to process veterans’ files and instead of 24 weeks files now take 16 weeks to process, he said.

“But it’s not enough but we are doing huge progress and we keep on to reduce that again.”

Blackburn said 2010 was a tough year for Veterans Affairs, but the department has brought about a lot of positive changes to help veterans.

“I’m very pleased to say look what we have done in this year. Look how we are better now to deliver best services to our veterans.”

rross@theguardian.pe.ca

Transcontinental Numérique - Groupe Journaux
© Copyright 2008 - 2010 Conditions of Use Privacy Policy 
I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline Future Pensioner

• Rate Post
Re: Veterans Affairs to give vets hiring priority
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2011, 19:25:19 »
I must not having been paying much attention lately.  This is the first I have heard of a the Lump sum vs the spread out payment being implemented.  I know the idea was "floated", but I did not realize that it had been implemented.  Same with the reduction in file processing time.

Is it just me, or were these actually announced previously???

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2011, 16:46:47 »
Good to see vets get priority hiring at VAC, as long as the rules that the staff enforce will eventually change.

Another tidbit from the same announcement - Minister's going on a road trip:
.... Tomorrow (12 Jan 11), Minister Blackburn will address staff at the Atlantic Regional Office in Dartmouth, and Canadian Forces members at CFB Halifax. Today (11 Jan 11) marks the beginning of a cross-country tour to highlight the recent changes for Canada's Veterans .... "I'm pleased to be meeting with Veterans and stakeholders across the country to explain that substantial progress has been made to fix problems and to reassure them of our commitment to providing them with the best possible service," said Minister Blackburn.  As part of his tour, Minister Blackburn will stop in eight cities across Canada, where he will visit Veterans' organizations, Canadian Forces bases, integrated personnel support centres (IPSCs), long-term care Veterans' facilities and departmental regional and district offices ....

More on the tour (but not where he's going to be when as of this posting) here.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2011, 17:30:04 »
I'm curious what they'll be using to define 'veteran', particularly with regards to reservists.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2011, 17:37:00 »
He said it BUT there is Priority hiring in place already for all Federal government jobs for those who were medically released and able to compete for the job. They must meet all criteria, compete and at least tie for the job, whereby there status gets them the nod.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2011, 17:42:23 »
I'm curious what they'll be using to define 'veteran', particularly with regards to reservists.

New Definition of a Veteran

VAC and the Department of National Defence (DND) have extended veteran status to former Canadian Forces members and Reserve Force members who:

* meet DND's military occupational classification requirements (MOC-qualified); and
    * have been released from the Forces with an honourable discharge.

Veteran status recognizes the potential risk that Canadian Forces members assume by donning the uniform and pledging allegiance. Veteran status does not mean that all former members are eligible to receive VAC benefits and services. As in the past, access to VAC benefits and services will continue to be based on your eligibility status and need.

dileas

tess
I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2011, 17:43:31 »
So if I read that correctly reservists must be released to qualify for the purpose of preferential hiring?
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2011, 17:45:59 »
Yes, in order to qualify for pri hiring, you must be released medically 3a or 3b item.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2011, 23:40:50 »
Yes, in order to qualify for pri hiring, you must be released medically 3a or 3b item.

I was speaking specifically of the DND/DVA news item. It doesn't appear to include just medical releases, but instead applies the term 'veteran' more inclusively (i.e., not just WW2/Korea) for the purposes of preferential hiring under the Public Service Employment Act.

Offline Nemo888

• Banned
  • Rate Post
Priority Hiring in the Federal Public Service.
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2011, 12:54:06 »
I've had some mixed responses so far. Some branches are good, DND especially. Some branches seem to refuse to even answer email queries. I was told by my case manager that getting hired in some departments is "impossible". CBSA I'm looking at you. I hope these are just personal anecdotes. I don't want to create trouble yet till a few more people come forward.

What are your experiences with priority hiring? A carrot dangled to shut up dissension in the ranks like so many of the other half truths we've been fed? Or a fair and equitable way to get a similar wage and benefit package as before you got smashed up? Probably a bit of both I would assume.

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Green Veterans Canada
Re: Priority Hiring in the Federal Public Service.
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2011, 13:00:07 »
I've had some mixed responses so far. Some branches are good, DND especially. Some branches seem to refuse to even answer email queries. I was told by my case manager that getting hired in some departments is "impossible". CBSA I'm looking at you. I hope these are just personal anecdotes. I don't want to create trouble yet till a few more people come forward.

What are your experiences with priority hiring? A carrot dangled to shut up dissension in the ranks like so many of the other half truths we've been fed? Or a fair and equitable way to get a similar wage and benefit package as before you got smashed up? Probably a bit of both I would assume.

When i did it in 2008, I was getting calls from various departments, at least, twice a day.  Even after I accepted a position in the Public Service.

Phenomenal program.

Maybe there are no openings, or you qualifications are not what they are looking for.  Good luck though.

dileas

tess

Offline krustyrl

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2011, 13:16:14 »
Good to hear feedback (or ANYTHING actually ) on the Priority Hiring Prcocess.  I will be heading that direction soon and looking for anything related to the PH system and how it has worked for those in the program.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2011, 12:38:53 »
My department is required to review the list, although you are not bound to select from it, the person must met the requirements of the staffing action and may be tested at the same level as other candidates. if they tie with another candidate or come in on top, then you are bound to hire them. We had a air force W.O. that we were told to contact, he was back east and we are on the west coast and marine based. He was as puzzled as we were as to why they thought he would be interested.

As for CBSA staffing, you might want to view this video at my blog.
http://denofzeus.blogspot.com/2011/03/hiring-process-explained.html

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2011, 13:04:14 »
My department is required to review the list, although you are not bound to select from it, the person must met the requirements of the staffing action and may be tested at the same level as other candidates. if they tie with another candidate or come in on top, then you are bound to hire them.

Which department is that?

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
  • Insert deep thought.....
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2011, 15:22:09 »
I have recently filled 3 Indeterminate positions (in the last 6-8 months), all went to someone on the Priority Hiring List.

For the classifications we were looking for (2 different GL's, 1 CR) I was sent a number of resumes, all on the priority hire list. If any of them met the Mandatory criteria, they had to be considered. If none met the mandatory criteria, then I could go to the "normal" pool of applicants. I haven't even seen a resume from a direct civilian in over 3 years.

I've seen a couple of applicants from across the country as well. Our CHRO advises that if they meet the mandatory criteria they MUST be considered for the job and we MUST contact them and ask if they are interested. A guy in Winnipeg laughed for quite a while when I asked him if he would move to Gagetown for an STS-04  ;D.

Mind you, I can see where it might not be an issue. If a member is newly released, they may have not done their move on retirement yet. A new job offering may be just what the Dr ordered lol

Wook
Why are there swamps on top of hills?

Offline bwatch

• Long may your lums reak
  • Rate Post
  • This is me in Montreal
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2011, 02:20:40 »
From Gagetown, going back to Gagetown. I could see him laugh or even cry.

Offline StepDad

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2011, 09:47:08 »
I hope some of you aren't offended by what I'm about to say, but some departments probably shy away from hiring too many ex-CAF personel at one time because of a historical occurence from about 30 -40 years ago. At one time if was almost a given that any ex-CAF personel could walk right in and get a job at the "Post Office". We are talking pre-Canada Post days. CP is now a Crown corporation but it wasn't then, it was just a Crown agency. As a result many former commissioned officers wound up in management positions at the " Post Office". Unfortunately, many of them brought their "do as I say or else" attitude that they were used to in the military with them. For those of you who remember, those were the days of very bad labour relations at the Post Office. Because the majority of letter carriers, sorters and other employees were regular "civies", their unions took offence to this atttude and also dug in their heels. To my suprise, I have actually had two "old-timer" former "post Office " employees confirm this. I believe that subsequent to that, some Crown agencies have been careful not to hire too many ex-CAF'ers for fear of bringing too much of that attitude in the workplace, particularly if it is a union shop.  This post is not  intended to take a swipe at ex-officers but just to relay what I believe may be an underlying current in today's federal civil service hiring practices.

Offline Tango18A

• Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2011, 09:53:45 »
This has also happened in the Private sector too. Hire ex-CWO "A" into a management position, good fit for the experience. Position is non-union in charge of a unionized shop. Make a few hard decisions and all of a sudden shop steward "B" has an inbox full of complaints against "A". "A" unwilling to change his approach finds himself unemployed as owner "C" needs his entire workforce not 1 manager.

Offline cooldiddums

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2011, 16:57:00 »
I just activated my Priority Hiring Entitlement a few months ago and, in my opinion, it's nothing but a blatant stick-and-carrot tactic.  Admittedly, I don't have a tremendous amount of professional experience beyond what I learned in the military.  Yet what I lack for in experience, I more than compensate for with education.  I just completed a Masters degree which entailed a six-month international stint as a Project Coordinator for an NGO---these must count for something.

My experience has been rather pitiful: Numerous HR Officers and Hiring Managers have either not replied at all to my emails (in one case I sent 4 emails and left 4 phone messages, with NO reply at all) or replied initially, then dropped off the radar screen.  Frankly, it baffles me how this process can even possibly be considered remotely transparent or fair and equitable.  I'm disgusted, actually.

I'm well aware that most organizations under the PSA are probably worried about budgets, never mind filling staffing positions, but one has to wonder to what extent former military members are discriminated against--solely on the basis of being a former military member. 

Anyone else currently seeking work under the priority hiring system and facing nothing but rude HROs or outright roadblocks?

Offline Container

• BAMFNG
  • Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2011, 17:23:05 »
I hope some of you aren't offended by what I'm about to say, but some departments probably shy away from hiring too many ex-CAF personel at one time because of a historical occurence from about 30 -40 years ago. At one time if was almost a given that any ex-CAF personel could walk right in and get a job at the "Post Office". We are talking pre-Canada Post days. CP is now a Crown corporation but it wasn't then, it was just a Crown agency. As a result many former commissioned officers wound up in management positions at the " Post Office". Unfortunately, many of them brought their "do as I say or else" attitude that they were used to in the military with them. For those of you who remember, those were the days of very bad labour relations at the Post Office. Because the majority of letter carriers, sorters and other employees were regular "civies", their unions took offence to this atttude and also dug in their heels. To my suprise, I have actually had two "old-timer" former "post Office " employees confirm this. I believe that subsequent to that, some Crown agencies have been careful not to hire too many ex-CAF'ers for fear of bringing too much of that attitude in the workplace, particularly if it is a union shop.  This post is not  intended to take a swipe at ex-officers but just to relay what I believe may be an underlying current in today's federal civil service hiring practices.

Im no fan of unions. I had an incident a few years back where I was hired by provincial corrections. I went through training and a few other things and the day came for me to sign on with the union. The union rep from the provincial facility came waltzing in with his boots undone and generally looked like a sack of dicks.

He was going on about the glorious fight against management and how things were better because of him. I cant recall exactly what I said when he asked me why I didnt seem impressed but it was a few comments about his dress and obvious lack of deportment. Either the cons watched him look like this or the new correctional officers.

He left and I never signed my papers. A few hours later suddenly the positition competition was cancelled. No skin off my back- I'll never regret explaining the how to's of dressing yourself to grown men who disrespect uniforms.
Posted again...thats six in six.

Offline Res Release Clerk

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2011, 09:23:24 »
I will also be released 3B in three years and I'm already looking into the PH and what I should do to make sure I get the kind of job I want post release. In my opinion, the success of the program has a lot to do with planning your release and really knowing what you'd like to do after.

- what kind of education you have will make a big difference in the kind of positions you will be offered. I only have a GED so I'm already looking into completing at least a certificate while I'm still in the CF. That way, I'll only have to complete 2 more certificates during the 2 years of voc rehab to get a bachelor's degree. I can then expect to have better positions offered to me (AS instead of CR) as well as much better salary.

- what trade you're in before you release also makes a big difference.  Sadly, a clerk will probably be offered a job much faster than some other trades (infantry for example). Your limitations will also be a factor.

- getting familiar with the PSC website and what kind of tests you may have to do is also something to consider. The kind of jobs you'll be offered are the positions posted on the job.gc.ca website. Personnally, I've been applying for various jobs just to be able to do the tests. I figure that if I pass them, I'll have valid results forever that will help me in the PH process. If my scores aren't high enough, I'll at least know what I'll need to work on in case I have to redo the tests. So far, I did 6 of the most common ones, plus the second language evaluations (which I did a few years ago).

Granted, I'm really lucky to get a full 3 years and most people only get 6 months before their release (9 months for LFQA reservists) but that should be enough time to think about what you want to do after and look at your options. To me, the two things a person needs to avoid when facing a medical release are : 1. do nothing and wait for an amazing job with an insanely high salary to magically fall on your lap, and; 2. be bitter, angry and have a bad attitude about the whole process. You may not like the way the CF treated you, or your CoC, but the 6 or 9 months you get before your release is the perfect time for you te reevaluate your life and the goals you want to accomplish when you'll ne longer be in the CF.

Just my opinion.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2011, 09:53:27 »
I just activated my Priority Hiring Entitlement a few months ago and, in my opinion, it's nothing but a blatant stick-and-carrot tactic.  Admittedly, I don't have a tremendous amount of professional experience beyond what I learned in the military.  Yet what I lack for in experience, I more than compensate for with education.  I just completed a Masters degree which entailed a six-month international stint as a Project Coordinator for an NGO---these must count for something.

My experience has been rather pitiful: Numerous HR Officers and Hiring Managers have either not replied at all to my emails (in one case I sent 4 emails and left 4 phone messages, with NO reply at all) or replied initially, then dropped off the radar screen.  Frankly, it baffles me how this process can even possibly be considered remotely transparent or fair and equitable.  I'm disgusted, actually.

I'm well aware that most organizations under the PSA are probably worried about budgets, never mind filling staffing positions, but one has to wonder to what extent former military members are discriminated against--solely on the basis of being a former military member. 

Anyone else currently seeking work under the priority hiring system and facing nothing but rude HROs or outright roadblocks?

Public service HR is screwed up generally - they're not anti-military, just screwed up.

PS hiring processes can take upwards of a year from "position posted" to "position filled" - mine was 16 months.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2011, 09:58:38 »
PS hiring processes can take upwards of a year from "position posted" to "position filled" - mine was 16 months.
dapaterson is bang on - I've been through same in 12 months to the day (deadline for submission to sitting down with manager with offer) for an internal process, and I've heard of worse.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2011, 10:02:07 »
I should add - I've also had competitions cancelled after 1 or 2 years of waiting - it's fun to try to remember "What was that one again?"
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html