Author Topic: The Shaving Superthread- All You Want and More....  (Read 199211 times)

Offline CFN. Orange

• Rate Post
  • Proud to be Canadian ARTE ET MARTE
    • http://www.25service.ca
Re: Razor Burn!!!
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2004, 02:29:27 »
Ive never used an electric razor but i was wondering what it would be like...

do you still get razor burn from it? can it be used when you have thick growth...? and last of all where can i find one? cause ive looked around and cant seem to find one.
Proud to drink and be Canadian.
True Blue Leafs Fan.
ARTE ET MARTE

R421 Weaps Tech (land)
25 Svc Bn (Toronto)

Offline AmmoTech90

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Catching Bullets
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2004, 05:21:45 »
You can get a bit of irritation, but its normally gone within a few minutes.  Make sure you get a razor with a trimmer attachment and use that for any longer hairs.  If you don't keep it clean you will miss a lot but brush it out daily and it should be fine.
Try Zellers, Walmart, or Canadian Tire, they all carry a bunch of different types.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

The fragrance of Afghanistan
Rewards a long day's toil
A Passage to Bangkok- Rush

Offline Jamson

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2004, 09:00:35 »
Thanks for your replays everyone, I think I got enough info to work on the way I shave and stop the burn.

As for the whole topic of electric razors... I have had experience with them and I find that when using electric razors I get even more razor burn from it then I would from a razor.

Cheers.

Offline Alex252

• Rate Post
Shaving
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2004, 01:08:40 »
Now that i've got youre attention ;), I'm having some problems with shaving. Now i know there is a thing on shaving lurking around somewhere i cant find it, so gladly redirect me to there if you need.....Anyways, i just started using a razor, before i used an electric but it didnt produce results. So i got a Mach 3 razor and some Aloe Vera based cream. Since ive started shaving ive been gettin red bumps all across the places i shaved. This is not from cutting myself as there is no blood on the surface. It almost looks like pimples ???. Now someone tells me it could be a ingrown hair, a different person told me its just a few pimples. 

Any Advice would be great!!!!!!!!
Aspiring CF member!

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Shaving
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2004, 01:12:08 »
Use warmer water.  It makes a difference for me.

Offline Scotty

• Army Chit Chatter
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2004, 01:13:37 »
The red bumps are razor burn.  Try getting an shaving cream with extra moisturizer.  Shave in the shower.  I had the same problem and the extra moisture/humidity from the hot water in the shower helped alot.  Also make sure the razor is nice and sharp.

Offline bobthebui|der

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I got a axe
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2004, 01:25:47 »
Shaving in the shower is the way to go...

I do it as scm77 said, and it's worked for me ever since. As well, dont scratch if you feel some irritation after shaving, that will go away after a half hour of so. If you scratch, you'll just promote break out.
The true measure of a man is how well he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good

Munit Haec et Altera Vincit

"2..4..6..8..tiptoe, sneak, and infiltrate, yaaaaaay, recce!" - Kat Stevens

Offline MissMolsonIndy

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2004, 07:22:11 »
Now that i've got youre attention ;), I'm having some problems with shaving. Now i know there is a thing on shaving lurking around somewhere i cant find it, so gladly redirect me to there if you need.....Anyways, i just started using a razor, before i used an electric but it didnt produce results. So i got a Mach 3 razor and some Aloe Vera based cream. Since ive started shaving ive been gettin red bumps all across the places i shaved. This is not from cutting myself as there is no blood on the surface. It almost looks like pimples ???. Now someone tells me it could be a ingrown hair, a different person told me its just a few pimples.  

Any Advice would be great!!!!!!!!

It's neither, actually. It is a typical case of razor burn. Soak your skin in warm water before you shave, the red bumps are caused by the friction of the blades on dry skin. Also, try using a brand of shaving cream for sensitive skin. If none of those work, switch to a dry shaver, they generally prevent irritation.

Offline Lexi

• Rate Post
  • Hi.
    • Ducimus
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2004, 07:55:21 »
It's razor burn.
Shave in the shower, shave often, use sensitive skin shaving cream...

Sometimes I find using moisturizer after shaving helps alot.

Good luck,
Lex
62 Royal Hamilton Light Infantry
Royal Canadian Army Cadet Corps

Semper Paratus!
Proud young supporter of the Canadian Armed Forces          :salute:

Offline Northern Touch

• Rate Post
  • Not a total FNG
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2004, 10:46:38 »
You may end up just having to deal with it after a while.
Right after a shower seems to work well for me, and make sure you use a sharp razor.
I still get razor burn tho, even when I do use warm water, sharp blade and after shave.  I've found that if you buy some Tea Tree oil and use it before you go to bed it will actually help, but watch out for the smell. :-X
Never ask anyone to do something your not willing to do yourself

Offline I_Drive_Planes

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2004, 14:33:46 »
I'm quite prone to razor burn myself, and I find that shaving before I shower helps a lot.  I think that the oil that's on your skin before you wash it off helps to protect it.  Also I find that an alcohol based aftershave makes a big difference, not sure why, but it does.  You will also find that as you shave more the problem becomes less.   

Of course you could always grow a big ZZTop beard!  >:D

Best of luck,

Brodie
Fear of death will not prevent dying, but it may prevent livng

Offline Goober

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2004, 14:54:20 »
I always get razor burn on my neck, but not any more, I use Neutrogena Men skin clearing shave cream and aftershave, and I shave in the shower with a Mach 3.

Offline Lost_Warrior

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2004, 18:11:26 »
Like everyone above said, it's razor burn.

It could be caused from a number of reasons.  I had that when I first joined.  I was used to shaving once a week, then to shaving every day, my skin couldn't take it.

The more you shave, the tougher your skin will become.  After a few weeks of shaving every day, I didn't get razor burn anymore.   

I used standard shaving cream.  Nothing special.
=Non nobis sed patriae=
=Not for ourselves but for our country=

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2004, 18:35:19 »
I would not recommend becoming dependant on a shower in order to shave.  It does not work in the field.

Offline JayJay

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2004, 18:37:25 »
   Well, yeah, I would definitly just follow the advice of these guys....but also watch, because it could be the shaving cream you are using....you might be allergic to it.  That's what happened to one of the guys on my BRT, we all thought it was rasor burn....but it turned out he was allergic to something in the cream.  It's doubtful that that is what it is, so no worries, but just a sidenote.
VVV-Velox Versutus Vigilans

Offline Alex252

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2004, 20:32:13 »
Sometimes i shave with  no cream (some people think im nuts!) but no red bumps? I have Edge Aloe Vera based cream and it works but i still get some bumps. Could this be a reaction or just the fact that i tend to press harder on my face with the cream on, then with it not on
Aspiring CF member!

Offline JayJay

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2004, 00:32:59 »
hmmm, I would switch to a different brand, maybe you are having a reaction, that is if you aren't getting bumps when you shave without it.  Maybe try the sensitive skin one...
VVV-Velox Versutus Vigilans

Offline mrosseker

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2004, 01:42:00 »
I had this problem once, and I started using a face lotion before I shaved, and it helped. If you go to a grocery store, in the shaving section you might be able to find it. It's called "Lectric Shave" and it's like a lubricant for your face that you put on before you put on the shaving cream. It comes in a little blue bottle and is about $5.  Worked wonders for me.

Oh, and what's been stated above, the more you shave, the less razor burn you will get. Either your face gets tougher, or cutting off the shorter hairs is easier, or both. I don't know but it works.
everyone I know:   "Why do you want to join the army?"

me: "Because I just don't have enough running, digging and swearing in my life right now.."

Offline 48Highlander

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Applied Ballistics
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2004, 01:45:06 »
There's different brands of shavin oil.  You can order this one on-line:

http://kitshop.ppcli.com/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=204&osCsid=fb6e541e5c4ed7880e82324ef5d8e6a0

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -3925.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2004, 07:53:07 »
Or my preference, plain baby oil. It's all I use. No foam, soap, etc. Just baby oil. Good close, clean shave and no irritation.
Diversity includes adverse opinions, or it is not diversity.
Inclusive includes adverse opinions, or is not inclusive.

Offline Cincinnatus

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2004, 08:18:38 »
I had similar problems, until an old cadet friend of mine suggested that I shave at night, before I pack it in. Six to seven hours later, when I get up, I find that the shave has "lasted," and any irritation that might have occurred right after shaving has gone away. This is especially useful on winter exercises, as shaving before bed allows for the oils that protect one's face from windburn etc to regenerate as one sleeps.

Unless your beard grows in very quickly, this method should work.
"Omnia relinquit servare Republicam..."

Offline MasterPrivate

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2004, 13:54:30 »
1. Always use a sharp blade, when it gets dull, throw it out.
2. Use the warmest water your face can stand.
3. Try Barbasol Sensitive Skin shaving cream. I bought some when I first started shaving and it worked really well.

Offline gun plumber

• works hard to keep the horse dancin'!
  • Rate Post
  • Dirty EME
Somertsets Shaving Oil
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2005, 01:40:25 »
Anyone have any experience with this stuff?Is it a worth while addition to a shave kit?Any testimonials would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 01:46:39 by gun plumber »
"It is war that shapes peace,and armament that shapes war."-Thomas Fuller

Ref: B-GL-314-008/AM-002
Chapter 6, Section 4, Para 3
The only reason for the existence of a Maintenance Platoon or
Company is the recovery and repair of equipment; thus any defensive
scheme which ties up a large number of technicians for long periods
in non-productive duties is of direct assistance to the enemy.

Offline Dingbat

• Rate Post
Re: Somertsets Shaving Oil
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2005, 02:52:15 »
I've used a different brand shaving oil a couple of times.  Makes shaving more comfortable but I noticed it clogged up my razor and it was hard to clean out of the Mach3 (switched to dispossables in my field bag).  Now a days I use an electric razor...simple and fast and easy but I keep the oil and a dispossable just in case.

Offline Spr. Legault

• Rate Post
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati !!
Re: Somersets Shaving Oil
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2005, 06:31:49 »

In an arctic tent, I find it uses less water than most people need to shave.  I'm trying to find a way to just have a little container (like film container but differently shaped) to hold rinse water in an efficient fashion so I don't need to use my canteen cup...

how bout those plastic travel soap containers?, there big enough to rinse a razor, and will hold just about enough water

my two pence
'O Lord, bless this Thy hand grenade that, with it, Thou mayest blow Thine enemies to tiny bits in Thy mercy.'