Author Topic: Boot cleaning / polishing / care of  (Read 464086 times)

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • dealing with life not that active here anymore
Re: Boots
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2004, 06:23:00 »
Ice Water and a tiny bit of polish (like Shayla mentioned)always has worked for me.
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

limejellobob

Boots... Quick help would be good!
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2004, 21:28:00 »
Maybe I should have posted in the Army Cadets section, but this seemed better -_-

Ok, one of my boots just got totally screwed and this is really, really not good. Allow me to explain.

Alright, so I‘m in Army Cadets. I had super-shiny boots, and I even got best dressed last week (Hooo yeah!). So I was shining them just now, and I don‘t know why, but one just got all grainy! And I can‘t get it to fix! Any suggestions? I‘ve heard that oil would be good for it, but I‘m not planning on doing anything crastic just yet -_-

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
Re: Boots... Quick help would be good!
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2004, 06:35:00 »
Don‘t fret Shayla....just keep working on them. And for God‘s sake....

DON‘T USE OIL ON THEM  :eek:

Regards
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.--Ben Franklin

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    -Norman Schwartzkopf

Dacier

Kiwi Shoe Polish Cloth
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2003, 17:29:00 »
The list that I was given for materials to bring to basic training listed a Kiwi Polish Cloth.  I have searched a number of shoe stores but none of them carry them or can recommened a place to get them.  Do they still exist?  Is there a special place I need to get them from?

Also, what amount of Civlian clothing should I bring to St. Jean?  I know for the first month the uniform must be worn, but after that civies are alowed during the evenings and of course on those few lucky weekends off.  Should I just bring two T-shirts, a sweater, socks, and the jeans I‘ll be wearing on the train ride to Montreal?

Also, about the alarm clock that I read on another list here, it says a battery operated one is preferable.  Are there electrical outlets in the barrack rooms?  

I‘m leaving this Sunday morning from Toronto.

ArmyBoyzGurl

Re: Kiwi Shoe Polish Cloth
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2003, 17:34:00 »
for the kiwi cloth, try any like, zellers, kmart, canadian tire... they SHOULD have them... and my bf brought 2 sets of civvies ( left 4 jan), i guess it‘d be ok...

Offline PikaChe

• I'm not a communist. I just work for them
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Pika la Revolución!
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2003, 17:52:00 »
The base CANEX should carry them. The question is when will you be able to go to CANEX on course.  :)

Dacier

« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2003, 17:54:00 »
The generic superstores carry the Kiwi cloths?  
Be easy to find now.  Thanks.

Johnson

« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2003, 18:13:00 »
Im leaving the Following Sunday (Feb.16) on train from Windsor. Maybe ill see you around up in St.Jean!

Anyway, Im going to the recruiting office tomorrow morning to fill out the paper-work and what not. I am also wondering on what to bring in regards of clothing, I guess ill just ask tomorrow.

Hailz,

ArmyBoyzGurl

« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2003, 18:41:00 »
yeup, they do!  good luck at St.Jean, guys!!  (my boy is half done basic.. now only another 63 weeks to go!!) - ish

Offline Jungle

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2003, 19:22:00 »
Not a problem if you are missing a few pieces of kit from that list. In the first few days in St-Jean, you will be taken to the base CANEX to buy whatever you are missing.   :cdn:
"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."
- John G. Diefenbaker. July 1, 1960. From the Canadian Bill of Rights.

Greeny

« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2003, 20:33:00 »
are any of the things on the list truly necessary or just preferable? I would think the army will supply all the things that will be needed.

Dacier

« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2003, 21:55:00 »
The sheet said to bring the items to Basic Training, so I‘m going to.  A little too early in the career to do anything too stupid  :)

ArmyBoyzGurl

« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2003, 21:57:00 »
LOL, pretty much, yo, pretty much!  :cool:    :blotto:

Ian

« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2003, 22:11:00 »
Hello,

With respect to civilian clothing, I‘d bring more than just a few shirts and a pair of jeans. Definately enough for a whole weekend (3 days), if you should be so lucky. I‘d also bring something comfortable if you get a night off during the week, as it will feel good.

Bring lots of plain white socks too, for PT.

As for the kiwi stuff, you will have an opportunity like ppl have said to buy it at the CANEX.

Good luck  :)

Dacier

« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2003, 13:48:00 »
Well, found the Kiwi supplies at Canadian Tire.  Found two brushes to apply and work with the Kiwi Shoe Polish, but didn‘t find a hard brush.  Do I need one to take off the dirt and grime with?  I asked around in shoe stores about a hard brush that will work to clean leather, but no one could help.  

Also, its says to bring "shower tongs".  Call me slow, but I have no clue what these are, or if I do, I know them as something else.  Can anyone enlighten me as to what shower tongs are?

Offline SpinDoc

• Rate Post
  • Reservist
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2003, 13:59:00 »
For cleaning dirt and grime caked on your boots, using a toothbrush is probably the best.  A harder bristle type might be to your liking.  Or you could just get a normal scrub brush (hand sized) made by Rubbermaid with nylon bristles.

You could use a lot of "stuff" for purposes that aren‘t their primary function... (i.e. dental pick, baby wipes)

Shower tongs (aka foot condoms) are just flip flop slippers.  It‘s so you don‘t get warts on your feet.

ArmyBoyzGurl

« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2003, 22:04:00 »
you can always rely on good ole‘ DND to make dumbass spelling mistakes, no doubt about it... lol, but yah.. a hard bristled toothbrush is good for getting dirt out of the little crevices in you‘re boots.. also, you might want another for blackening your welts.  (the part where the stitching is {around the sole}  on parade boots or combats)..thats what i use anyways. (on my cadet parade boots.. same as regforce boots)

robreadman

« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2003, 10:57:00 »
Kiwi Polish and Kiwi Cloth are the best stuff on earth for getting a nice shine, I use water when I polish, but it has ot be cold water. I found that the cold water reacts with the polish just right to get a nice shine. I also Apply a thick base coat and leave it on for at least 24 hours before I start polishing. The kiwi cloth works wonders, no other cloth that I‘ve used compares.

Offline brin11

• Rate Post
  • Gun Plumber
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2003, 13:43:00 »
Dacier,

Bring that old toothbrush to apply polish to the spot between the sole and leather and to clean out dust from that area.  Also, bring a soft shaving brush; great for removing dust from your weapon for inspections and removing dust from your locker/bed in tight spots.

We had coveralls to wear during the evening for cleaning/doing kit, etc. but we could also wear civvy tshirts, etc. during that time.  Bring something comfy for evenings.  I kept mine in the barrack box - personal area; they fold up really small.  We were required to hang one civvy outfit in the locker and ironed, etc. same as the military kits.  Don‘t know if that‘s still required.

Good luck.
The enemy's gate is down.

Offline kristina_321

• Rate Post
I need some good tips on how to shine my boots.
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2004, 14:02:39 »
Help!!!!!!! my boots need some real help they have a good shine but i need a bigger improvement !!     :salute:
Get In Get Out Get Even!!

Superman

Re: I need some good tips on how to shine my boots.
« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2004, 14:05:13 »
combat boots or parade?

Offline kristina_321

• Rate Post
« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2004, 14:06:25 »
               my parade boots
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 14:10:11 by kristina_321 »

Superman

« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2004, 14:10:51 »
When I was in Cadets I had parade boots and all I used was polish and a kiwi cloth... I used the technique called a spit shine... It was fast and for me really effective... All I did was spit in the polish and rub it in with a kiwi cloth into the boot... and then shined it with a clean section of the kiwi cloth.

Offline kristina_321

• Rate Post
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2004, 14:14:38 »
 I do, do that but it wont get any shinier!!! 

Superman

« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2004, 14:16:32 »
how many coats have you put on? and make sure ur letting the polish dry before you shine it.