Author Topic: what pilots do when they are not flying?  (Read 46644 times)

Offline weiss

• Rate Post
what pilots do when they are not flying?
« on: October 12, 2006, 23:27:12 »
Hello people,

I was always wondering what do pilots do when they are all done flying for a day.  I mean, is there any non-flying duties they are assigned to?  Briefing, de-briefing, pre flight checks - this is all understandable - anything else?  Like aircraft maintenance co-ordination or parts inventory maybe?  Another thing - I have heard a few times from F-18 pilots theres a lot of paperwork.  Is it really a lot? What kind of paperwork? 

I am still waiting for my security clearance, 18 months almost.  I wouldn't ask those silly questions but there is a question in interview preparation guide about pilots duties and I realise I have no answer.

Thanks beforehand for that incoming avalanche of related and thoughtful replies.

Weiss

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: what pilots do when they are not flying?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 00:10:32 »
Other than work on their investment portfolios or skive of to the Mess to begin another night of debauchery as soon as the boss isn't looking??

Everybody on Squadron has at least one secondary duty, and these can vary from interesting and essential to tedious and nitnoid.

Air Cadet Liaison, Unit Emplaning Officer (organizing long-range deployments), Fire Warden, Flight Safety Officer, NBCW Officer, Sports Officer, Unit Information Officer are a few that come to mind. All of those come with paperwork.

Anything to do with aircraft maintenance is done by the maintenance organization, which will vary from one flying community to another.

Offline Calculator Jockey

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 00:31:14 »
After working in a Squadron, I can tell you the pilots are extremely busy (they are not just flying the jets ~  perhaps one to two missions a day with perhaps only a couple of hours up in the air) Yes lots of work on the pre flight and post flight briefings. Some of them are at the Hangar before even the ground crew show up and leave way after everyone else has gone home (even noted in at work on the weekends too). They have positions like Ops O, SWAT O, Scheduling, and in a training Squadron they are instructors at the same time trying to do all their other duties plus keeping their flying hours up as well and maintain their own quals. They are constantly on TD away from their families, just like the army going away on exercise; same concept.

As for Fire Warden that was usually delegated to a NCO, Flight Safety Officer was an actual position as Ops O, etc., no such thing as Sports O (that is the Officer's Mess Committee and not part of the Sqn duties), Unit Information Officer is usually given to the Log O. But yes Air Cadet Liaison perhaps as noted a few of the pilots being sent out on various trips to the Cadet Units. As far as deployments are concerned, every exercise had an OPI and was given to one of the Captains to run with and usually was rotated through the pilots so that they would all have the experience of doing this.

I had the same questions too when I first got there, but after seeing what these men and women go through in a course of a day, a week, a month, I have a total new respect for what they do. 

Hopefully there are some fighter pilots (or perhaps some of the OJTs that have done time in a Fighter Sqn) in here that can chime in and really add to this thread. And I am sure this holds true with the Herc pilots, Tac Hel, etc. as well not just the Fighter community.

Just 0.02 cents from a clerk's point of view.

CJ

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 13:14:14 »
I was speaking for Tac Hel.

The situation may vary between squadrons within our community, as well.

I'd agree that mission planning, briefing, and flying account for the bulk of the time, and NCOs have secondary duties too, but a lot of that has to do with overall personnel shortages.

And, yes, there's a lot of time away - everything from tents to hotels.

Offline flames9

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 15:50:39 »
As a former AESop, been around the bus drivers.  Yep they put in long hours, especially the young pilots, always somethign to do with OJT (on the job training), secondary duties etc.  Someone has to order the extra pillows for Acoustics

Offline Freight

• Rate Post
Life is not a dress rehearsal. Decide, then do.

Offline GO!!!

• Fallen Comrade
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Often have I regretted my speech, never my silence
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 16:20:41 »
Wow, the guys that made that video sure are overworked with their secondary duties  ::).
No leader was ever hated for being too hard, but a great many were for attempting to appear that way.

Offline Trunk Monkey

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 00:08:00 »
Hmmmm....they are complaining they are not flying :P

Offline career_radio-checker

• Hello everyone, my name is CRC and I am an army.ca - aholic.
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 00:27:43 »
Hmmmm....they are complaining they are not flying :P

Well since the door is open to making fun of fly-boys I thought I'd bring back to life the best aviation joke I read from this forum.

>How can you tell a pilot is done talking about himself?
>
>
>He starts talking about his jet.  ;D
How could anyone not fall in love with Canada's baby seals?... They make really good gloves.

Offline GO!!!

• Fallen Comrade
  • Army.ca Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 19:40:03 »
Well since the door is open to making fun of fly-boys I thought I'd bring back to life the best aviation joke I read from this forum.

>
>

I heard one like that but the second line was;

"his vital signs are absent"
No leader was ever hated for being too hard, but a great many were for attempting to appear that way.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 19:52:17 »

>
>

Q: What's the difference between a fighter piilot and his jet?

A: The jet stops whining after it gets back to the hangar.    ;D

Offline 23007

• Rate Post
  • Breakfast of Champions
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 23:09:33 »
-How do you know if there's a fighter pilot at a party?

-He'll tell you!
Flying Whirley Birds

aesop081

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 12:10:28 »
Q: whats the difference between a pilot and a pig ?

A: You dont see the pig walking around drunk at 3am after the bar looking for a pilot.

Offline RiggerFE

• Rate Post
  • If it isn't broken, don't fix it!
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 20:25:02 »
Now, the problem arises when we get to the air force. Were I to say the same thing to them....
they would get me a three year lease with an option to buy... enough said.

Or just lock it up and go home

Offline uncle-midget-Oddball

Back to work in one week... Finally.

• I dance on street corners for money.
  • Rate Post
  • Why dont you knock it off with them negative waves
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 20:48:25 »
What does a pilot do when he's not flying???

Well, he gets in his car and starts making propellor sounds swerving through traffic on the highway making machinegun sounds to the car ("bogey") in front of him on the way home. Once home he sits on the living room floor with a beer and his 2 year-old son's toy biplane doing the same thing as in the car.
What are you doing?

I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know.

Offline GO!!!

• Fallen Comrade
  • Army.ca Veteran
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 22:45:51 »
And let's not forget topless volleyball, that's the official sport of pilots right.

Ah yes, pilots, who are devoted to the mission, unless it is hindered by rain, snow, darkness, maintenance, fridays, meal timings, crew rest, leave, mondays, cold, weekends, low ceiling, wind, loud noises, or, my personal favorite - flight safety.

I want to run the rest of the CF like we do the Air Force - it would sound a little like this;

OC - GO!!! I need a recce ptl to this GR to confirm a suspected taliban OP.

GO!!!- well sir, I'd love to, but that would entail me staying up more than 8 hours consecutively - which would necessitate 3 days off for me and my men immediately afterwards to return our circadian rhythyms to normal. Also, I noticed that there are no hotels on the objective, or any plan for rental SUVs - so I believe I would be remiss in my duties, because we would not be properly rested for the return trip. It would be unsafe for me to go any longer than 8 hours without sleep in a proper hotel. Additionally, I cannot work in any type of inclement weather, or at night, so the met rep is far more important than the mission sir!

aesop081

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 23:03:28 »
Ah yes, pilots, who are devoted to the mission, unless it is hindered by rain, snow, darkness, maintenance, fridays, meal timings, crew rest, leave, mondays, cold, weekends, low ceiling, wind, loud noises, or, my personal favorite - flight safety.

I want to run the rest of the CF like we do the Air Force - it would sound a little like this;

OC - GO!!! I need a recce ptl to this GR to confirm a suspected taliban OP.

GO!!!- well sir, I'd love to, but that would entail me staying up more than 8 hours consecutively - which would necessitate 3 days off for me and my men immediately afterwards to return our circadian rhythyms to normal. Also, I noticed that there are no hotels on the objective, or any plan for rental SUVs - so I believe I would be remiss in my duties, because we would not be properly rested for the return trip. It would be unsafe for me to go any longer than 8 hours without sleep in a proper hotel. Additionally, I cannot work in any type of inclement weather, or at night, so the met rep is far more important than the mission sir!

GO!!!

I realize that your experience with the AF has limited itself to only certain organizations...

So i will issue you this challenge.  PM me for unit details and i will personaly arrange a flight for you and you can show me where we dont fly for the reasons you mentioned above.  If we cancell for any of those reasons i will let you decide if it was a valid decison based on whatever criteria you think applies.  I will take you to the mission breif so you can see what the objective of the mission is and you can feel free to critique whatever decision our crew takes.

Fair enough ?

Offline mr peabody

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 23:37:55 »
 I don't know which flying unit you've spent your time with GO, but if you think the whole air force runs that way then you have a lot of learning to do.  The flight crews here spend long days flying in some pretty shitty weather; 10 hour flights performing work that leaves little to no room for error.  I've had the pleasure of spending a bit of time in the pilot's seat, it's not easy.
" Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't. "

Offline 3rd Horseman

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 23:47:08 »
GO,

I think you better bring an extra airsick bag....your being set up.....but it would be fun. Nothing like a whirly bird flight with a pilot trying to teach an army dude how tough it is in the air.

I must admit that CDN Aviator has a point, but I have also found that what GO has said has occurred throughtout my time. I have also seen the full up warrior pilot risk it all. I think they just have a great gig going and don't give it up too easily until the chips are down and then they show their stuff.
Sanctuary is as hard to find and as difficult to walk on as a razors edge

Offline BulletMagnet

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm not just disobedient, I'm careful
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 23:48:02 »
He is likely talking more along the lines of certain Tac Hel groups, I have seen some dodgy call's myself from some of them...
"Often have I regretted my speech, never my silence" Cpl Jordan Anderson 1981-2007 RIP

When the going gets tough I take a nap...It's easier that way

aesop081

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2006, 01:16:44 »
GO,

I think you better bring an extra airsick bag....your being set up.....but it would be fun. Nothing like a whirly bird flight with a pilot trying to teach an army dude how tough it is in the air.

Its not about "showing off" !!  GO!!! stated why he thinks the air force isnt mission orientated.  I am no out to make him sick for the sake of making him sick.  I am offering to take him through the entire process and see for himself.  The airplane in which i am a crew member flies at night, i some seriously bad weather, at low altitude, hundreds and hundreds of miles from shore.  it get rough, specialy at night.  The airplane gets hot....stinks of cordite, its dark and some guys sit backwards or sideways.  We do maneouvres like MAD compensation that makes people sick as soon as the flight starts......Our Crew day is 18 hours....can be extended to 24 hours.  Minimum crew rest is 8 hours after which we are expected to do it again.  We dont control the weather.. there are rules that the military doesnt control such as takeoff minimums and alternate airport requirements.....then if the weather wont permit the mission to be accomplished because we will never see the target.......

Then there's maintenance.  We dont control when things break and have to be replaced.  We ALL want to fly.....sometimes we cant because our 26 year old airplane is having issues.

We run 7 days a week, so weekends and people's leave are not factors.

Flight safety.....well, just like safety comes first in the army.......we have to contend with that too....a multi-million dollar airpane with a crew of 10 deserves no less.  Again we also have federal, non-military, rules to contend with.

Hotels......well, talk to the guys we had in wainwright who slept in tents and shave with frozen water like everyone else.  i have stayed in barracks for 3 of my last 4 exercises.  usualy have rental cars because the airfield isnt located near the barracks.

Yes the metrep is important to the mission.......the ground is GO!!!'s environment, the air is ours...what goes on in the sky affects our mission just as much as ennemy obstacles affect his.

I got 5 days off last month..........

I want GO!!! to come see for himself...........I respect his experience when it comes to land operations.  I want him to come get an education.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 01:20:01 by cdnaviator »

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2006, 01:28:15 »
I have a shade under 4000 hours in Tac Hel, and about 300 or so from training  courses including my helicopter instructor's course. All but 300 of my Tac Hel hours are on Kiowas. I have another few hundred hours of police helicopter time (Peel Region was the hardest work I've ever done in a cockpit).

I have poked fun at other CF flying communities, but I have some appreciation of the challenges of their jobs and the risks peculiar to them.

I have poked fun at other Tac Hel Squadrons, well, one at least - that always seemed to attract more than its share of the "problem children" yet also included many outstanding people too.

I have poked fun at those flying the other helicopter type in my first Squadron.

In turn, I have had similar jokes aimed at me.

That's to be expected. I know that you're all jealous.

But seriously, despite the fact that we're not all brilliant (statistically, half of all pilots are below average, just like half of all Infantrymen), we do the best that we can with what we've got to work with and how we've been trained.

There are serious flaws in both of those areas, and I've given my viewpoints on those in other threads.

Tac Hel also consistently had the lowest experience levels of any of the different flying communities up until a few years ago when others began to suffer from the same thing while our situation actually held, more or less (but did not improve). There are a lot of new guys out there today not getting enough of the right kind of hours to really learn their craft. As well as gaining useful experience, it also seems to take a couple of years for pipeliners to realize where they fit into the overall scheme of things and to become properly motivated.

The guy who signs for the aircraft, regardless of his experience and therefore comfort levels, is responsible for the aircraft and all of its occupants - including you guys in the back. He/she is quite aware of those responsibilities and would much rather err on the side of caution unless there is good and valid reason to do otherwise. Peacetime training is not worth unnecessary risk.

Having had at least my share of close calls over the years, and seen the results of those not so lucky (their mistakes, somebody else's mistakes, mechanical failure, weather, or some such), I have developed one major decision-making aid: "what would the board of inquiry say?"

Whatever I am asked to do, by my customer or my boss, or am contemplating doing, is not a good idea if it won't stand up to the scrutiny of a board of inquiry.

Some of my close calls were completely innocent and natural. Some were due to less-than-wise calls on my part, or things that I did not anticipate or see. Some occurred because I let myself be led into bad situations by those who I thought knew better than me.

None of that has happened since I developed my little reality check.

Initiating a board of inquiry is not mission accomplishment.

I know that there have been times when whoever it was that I was supporting was not happy with getting less support than they were hoping for. I've always explained the reasons as thoroughly as possible. Most understood, but there are some that have not. At least they've all gone home alive.

I went to far too many funerals early on in my flying career to not learn how important that was.

Try sitting up front and seeing what it's all about. It's not ALL fun and games, even if we'd like you to think that.

On our side, we've all seen dumb stuff done by our passengers, including the guy who ran into the nose of my Kiowa in an exaggerated MASH crouch and dented it in, or the senior officer who almost tossed his briefcase through my main rotor, or several that have skipped merrily past the tailrotor completely oblivious to how close they came to being reduced to a bloody stump, or the guys in the transmission seats that decide to break open their rifles in mid-flight over a swamp with the doors pinned back. And, for every time that I've gone to the wrong spot (usually in an area where navigation is tricky), I've been given a wrong grid or town name (Germany), and then some extras.

Half of all passengers are below average too.

I am not happy with some of the unrealistic things that I see happen when we're supposed to be tactical, however usually I understand why. There's generally a reason.

Now, if somebody's got a specific gripe, with dates, times, places, and a detailed description of the event in question, that should be followed up through the appropriate Avn Staff Guy in your Bde/Area HQ, as he was the one who booked the mission and is the link between supported unit/formation and Squadron. Chances are that somebody on the crew(s) has already brought it out in the debrief, but feedback, positive and negative (so long as it's constructive) can only help.

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2006, 02:21:25 »
+1 Mr. Loach - an excellent synopsis

Most non-aircrew cannot fathom the concentration and intensity required in the operation of aircraft.  Imagine not getting at least 8 hours sleep and then being shoved into such an environment - any mistakes would be deadly.  I have played the green game and know without a doubt that I could not complete even the most basic task in an aircrew setting while sleep-******.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline BulletMagnet

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2006, 09:11:39 »
I want to clarify "dodgy calls" in Tac Hel...such as back in summer of 02 I remember a week long EX where it rained for the whole time, my 4 man det was covered in mud it was about 0600hrs and we were all laid out for pick up, down came the Helo and was about 2m from the ground when the whole group broke cover and that would be when the helo pulled up and out siting ground fog obscuring the LZ and they wouldn't land.....

Now I assume they saw how dirty we were and called it off, because I saw no ground fog that day not one bit. I will add a caveat that for every bad Helo experience I have seen 10 others that were damn good rides and just impressive tactical flying.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 09:30:46 by HitorMiss »
"Often have I regretted my speech, never my silence" Cpl Jordan Anderson 1981-2007 RIP

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2006, 11:44:37 »
I want to clarify "dodgy calls" in Tac Hel...such as back in summer of 02 I remember a week long EX where it rained for the whole time, my 4 man det was covered in mud it was about 0600hrs and we were all laid out for pick up, down came the Helo and was about 2m from the ground when the whole group broke cover and that would be when the helo pulled up and out siting ground fog obscuring the LZ and they wouldn't land.....

Now I assume they saw how dirty we were and called it off, because I saw no ground fog that day not one bit.

I cannot really comment for a whole bunch of reasons, but mainly because I wasn't there. You may well have been the victim of a less-than-consiencious crew and, yes, that would be my first guess. They may have been going to pick up a high-priced VIP after dropping you off andwanted to stay clean - not a completely valid reason in my mind, but then I don't know that or what their instructions might have been. And then, sometimes, things don't look the same when you're looking downwards through a rain-covered windscreen as they do when you're looking upwards - there may have been a legitimate safety concern, although I'd say that that's not terribly likely. Like I said, I wasn't there.

I will add a caveat that for every bad Helo experience I have seen 10 others that were damn good rides and just impressive tactical flying.

Thank-you. The vast majority of us aim to please, and know full well whom we exist to support and where we fit into the overall scheme of things.

Offline GO!!!

• Fallen Comrade
  • Army.ca Veteran
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2006, 17:50:30 »
I cannot really comment for a whole bunch of reasons, but mainly because I wasn't there. You may well have been the victim of a less-than-consiencious crew and, yes, that would be my first guess. They may have been going to pick up a high-priced VIP after dropping you off andwanted to stay clean - not a completely valid reason in my mind, but then I don't know that or what their instructions might have been. And then, sometimes, things don't look the same when you're looking downwards through a rain-covered windscreen as they do when you're looking upwards - there may have been a legitimate safety concern, although I'd say that that's not terribly likely. Like I said, I wasn't there.

"Not completely valid?"

I'll go out on a limb here and say that if it was 4 wet, cold pilots/aircrew left to freeze or walk back in the woods, there would be disciplinary action against the infanteers that left them behind.

My earlier post that seems to have hit a nerve was only half in jest - and my last 3-4 exercises have confirmed it. On the last month long grind in  the only time they could be seen flying was when there were VIPs aboard. The mere mention of c/s H casevac/fire support/airmobile QRF left the platoon rolling in the aisles - never once did it show up for us - not once in a 30 day ex.

I'd also like to extend a hearty congratulations to the CF-18 pilot for whom we stopped a whole cbt team atk for 20 mins to watch him overfly his target 5 - yes five times before missing it  - twice with his 500 pounders. I'm sure CAS like that will come in very handy.  ::)

Most non-aircrew cannot fathom the concentration and intensity required in the operation of aircraft.  Imagine not getting at least 8 hours sleep and then being shoved into such an environment - any mistakes would be deadly.  I have played the green game and know without a doubt that I could not complete even the most basic task in an aircrew setting while sleep-******.
Yes, yes, we all know that you have the hardest job on earth, every mistake kills etc. WTF do you think the rest of us are doing? I would say that you as aircrew can't fathom what happens on the ground between when you drop us off and pick us up, or ridiculous crap like leaving people behind because they are too dirty would'nt happen. Don't even bother with the old standby "I was a private in the reserves for a year - I know what it's like" you don't.

You need to realise that you are a driver - a driver of a device that happens to fly, and that there is a major disconnect if you believe that your tasks are much more difficult or important than what happens on the ground. They are different, but at the end of the day - you exist (in the Green Helo Sqns) to support operations on the ground. If you are not doing that - for any reason - you have failed as far as I'm concerned.

Offline BulletMagnet

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2006, 18:18:21 »
My earlier post that seems to have hit a nerve was only half in jest - and my last 3-4 exercises have confirmed it. On the last month long grind in  the only time they could be seen flying was when there were VIPs aboard. The mere mention of c/s H casevac/fire support/airmobile QRF left the platoon rolling in the aisles - never once did it show up for us - not once in a 30 day ex.

Now thats odd because on Maple Guardian for us I spent so much time recceing HLS and then manning them for incoming casevac and airmobile that I could do it in my sleep, now where did that change I wonder????

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2006, 18:34:41 »
I'd also like to extend a hearty congratulations to the CF-18 pilot for whom we stopped a whole cbt team atk for 20 mins to watch him overfly his target 5 - yes five times before missing it  - twice with his 500 pounders. I'm sure CAS like that will come in very handy.  ::)
Yes, yes, we all know that you have the hardest job on earth, every mistake kills etc. WTF do you think the rest of us are doing? I would say that you as aircrew can't fathom what happens on the ground between when you drop us off and pick us up, or ridiculous crap like leaving people behind because they are too dirty would'nt happen. Don't even bother with the old standby "I was a private in the reserves for a year - I know what it's like" you don't.

What do you know about it anyways...

Max

Offline BulletMagnet

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2006, 18:43:18 »
Max,

GO and I have boots with more military experience then you have time in the Military. So when it comes to making an experience call about ground operations We both have been there done that, when it comes to personal experience with being or not being picked up by Tac Hel assets we have done that 100 times over. So guess what if anything what the heck do you know about it? Mr coffee break in the CF and not having left OJT no please regale me with your on the ground soldiering experience or even your great abilities as a Tac Hel pilot.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 19:04:02 by HitorMiss »

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2006, 18:48:40 »
Gentlemen, let's try taking the personal and trade related insults out and debate this based on personal experience and knowledge.  Arguing based on what you simply assume another's tasks and responsibilities might involve is insufficient. Personal prejudices and stereotyping are not a solid basis for discussion.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,51970.0.html

Offline C1Dirty

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2006, 21:00:45 »

Go, I thought it was funny.  By the way you forgot holidays, heat, golf (aka air force PT) and duty day.

Most non-aircrew cannot fathom the concentration and intensity required in the operation of aircraft.

Yeah, I'm all about pretending it's hard too, but the jig's up, everyone has MS Flight Sim now.

aesop081

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2006, 21:42:01 »
So..........

GO!!!....i take you you arent willing to take me up on my offer........pitty.  You might have learned a few things.

Offline GO!!!

• Fallen Comrade
  • Army.ca Veteran
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2006, 22:13:46 »
So..........

GO!!!....i take you you arent willing to take me up on my offer........pitty.  You might have learned a few things.

PM Inbound.

aesop081

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2006, 22:40:18 »
PM Inbound.

right back at you

cheers

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2006, 22:42:58 »
Max,

GO and I have boots with more military experience then you have time in the Military. So when it comes to making an experience call about ground operations We both have been there done that, when it comes to personal experience with being or not being picked up by Tac Hel assets we have done that 100 times over. So guess what if anything what the heck do you know about it? Mr coffee break in the CF and not having left OJT no please regale me with your on the ground soldiering experience or even your great abilities as a Tac Hel pilot.

I might not have the ground ops experience but I do have some time in the Hornet including A/G missions (and I was referring to the comment regarding the Hornet dropping ordonnance).  Even as a Backseater, I had the opportunity to see and understand what was going on.  Doing 5 passes before dropping might just be a way to practice and review the procedures before dropping 500 pounds of explosive, don't you think it makes sense?  Missing the target with a Dumb (ie non guided) bomb isn't too hard.  1 milimeter in the HUD at that altitude can make you miss...  Isn't that why they practice?  Anyways, I think I might (correct me if I'm wrong) know a little better than him on that specific subject matter.

Max

Offline GO!!!

• Fallen Comrade
  • Army.ca Veteran
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2006, 23:27:09 »
I might not have the ground ops experience but I do have some time in the Hornet including A/G missions (and I was referring to the comment regarding the Hornet dropping ordonnance).  Even as a Backseater, I had the opportunity to see and understand what was going on.  Doing 5 passes before dropping might just be a way to practice and review the procedures before dropping 500 pounds of explosive, don't you think it makes sense?  Missing the target with a Dumb (ie non guided) bomb isn't too hard.  1 milimeter in the HUD at that altitude can make you miss...  Isn't that why they practice?  Anyways, I think I might (correct me if I'm wrong) know a little better than him on that specific subject matter.

Max

The bombs dropped on the date in question were real - my slow infantry mind realises this because they made loud exploding noises and big holes in the ground - in excess of 50 paces from their intended target, and before you say that's within the effects radius for a Mk82 - it may have been, but there was no tgt effects - we checked afterwards.

This was not practice - it was a life fire cbt team atk - that means about 200 men and 50 vehicles - held up so that a jet could miss, twice, and leave yet another objective for us on the ground. The time to get "procedures" straight was long before flying over my head.

To tell the truth, what counts is results. We understand what is "going on" too, and if you cannot get rounds on target in a timely manner - what are you accomplishing? Does the training leave something to be desired? Kit being used beyond it's capabilities? Is anything being done to remedy the situation?

I welcome input from a pilot on why this happened - really - I would like nothing more than to be able to call for Cdn CAS when we go overseas - but what gives?

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2006, 11:16:40 »
Don't even bother with the old standby "I was a private in the reserves for a year - I know what it's like" you don't.

Whatever you say Junior - I'd say that your exposure to the rest of the CF is pretty myoptic and needs flushing out.  I can confidently say that I have "been there" when it comes to basic green Ops (not just a Private smartass).  Can you say the same about blue Ops?  When you can, then we can talk on an equal basis.

Didn't we all have this same discussion last year?
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline fbr2o75

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2006, 11:37:12 »
The bombs dropped on the date in question were real - my slow infantry mind realises this because they made loud exploding noises and big holes in the ground - in excess of 50 paces from their intended target, and before you say that's within the effects radius for a Mk82 - it may have been, but there was no tgt effects - we checked afterwards.

How many rounds have you fired down range in your career that have failed to hit the target??

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2006, 13:52:58 »

This was not practice - it was a life fire cbt team atk - that means about 200 men and 50 vehicles - held up so that a jet could miss, twice, and leave yet another objective for us on the ground. The time to get "procedures" straight was long before flying over my head.

To tell the truth, what counts is results. We understand what is "going on" too, and if you cannot get rounds on target in a timely manner - what are you accomplishing? Does the training leave something to be desired? Kit being used beyond it's capabilities? Is anything being done to remedy the situation?

I welcome input from a pilot on why this happened - really - I would like nothing more than to be able to call for Cdn CAS when we go overseas - but what gives?

Dumb bombs mean non guided bombs.  It doesn't mean there is no explosive.  The reason for the 5 passes is to practice procedures.  They don't drop bombs every day.  One of Two range training a year plus some exercices.  In that type of operations, you need to actually practice the procedures before you can get them right (just knowing them by heart doesn't mean you will be able to physically do them).  Of course the sim is there.  But how a sim really preps you?  That's an other story...  Doing 5 passes before dropping 2 Mk-82 can make you practice those procedures.  In peace time, there is no point in trying to rush things if you can't even do it right.  If they were to deploy somewhere, they would spend some time to get their skills up to the level so "it's not other objective for you".  This is training, remember that.  After the mission there is an in depth (and I say, in depth) debrief of what happened and how to make it better.

How many rounds have you fired down range in your career that have failed to hit the target??

+1

Max

Offline peaches

• Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2006, 14:11:10 »
I am not a fighter pilot, but an experienced Air Weapons Controller.  Our CF18 fleet at this moment is heavily tasked, Air Defence alert, BAI training and I can assure you all they are involved in CAS right now.  What they lack are the whiz bang CAS weapon's, JDAM, JSOW, etc...  Upgraded fighters require upgraded weapons, not just AMRAAM.

As for the whole "we don't work" in the Airforce comments, I completed a tour on AWACS in 2005, I can assure you we worked, flew, deployed, extended beyond crew rest routinely.  Nobody gave a damm about holidays, Xmas or golf, fly & fight.  Deploy for 90 days, RTB Tinker, and out again a few days later for another 90.  Granted we were not in the front lines being shot at or chewing dust, but that's not our job.  Our job is to make life a s easy as possible for those folks.  Believe me we did everything we could to facilitate that. If there was a major operation on, everyone would fight to be on that crew, to get the job done.  Land, sea & air combat is different, but combat none the less.
Good GCI is Good
No GCI is Bad
Bad GCI is Treason!!!

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2006, 19:44:14 »
Let me get back to that ground fog incident.

You see it in the early morning or early evening, and sometimes it will role in in the middle of the night when the temperature on the ground drops just enough to match the dew point.  You'll usually see it when driving past a swamp or marshy area.

Although you can see the helicopter and they can see the LZ, they can't see the ground, which means they can't land.  Imagine a 1.5-2 foot stump/post/peg/whatever, sticking out of the ground exactly where the aircraft tends to land, but they can't see it.  An easy way to kill a good day -- and now you have to take care of at least 3 less than impressed aircrew who can't go anywhere until the MRP shows up/

HOM, I'm sure you've seen the same type of weather when running the road to the heliport in the early morn.

GO!!!, as for you, I have NEVER heard you say ANYTHING positive about the AF.  Sure, you have issues with the tac hel Sqn nearby, but they are dealing with far bigger issues than YOU and your guys, so give it a break already.  They have a priority right now and you are probably not on the top of their list of people to please.

I could sit there and yammer on about bad grids, LZs that were suposedly fit but were sadly lacking by a good 20 feet, and FAC that couldn't control worth beans (maybe why the 18 had to do 5 runs?).  However I won't, because it would be illogical to paint the whole Army with a negative view, because that would mean that EVERYONE sucks, which is stupid.  (Well, everyone except HoM that is. ;D)

I hope I never have to work with you because if I had to put up with that attitude at all there would be a quick little stop to let you out and find your own way home.  Harsh, I know, but I'm sick of the negativity.
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline GO!!!

• Fallen Comrade
  • Army.ca Veteran
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2006, 20:30:15 »
Strike,

I can see where you are coming from with the "too much negativity" comment, but in all seriousness, easily 4/5 of my experiences with the Canadian Air Force can be easily categorised as negative - from the airbus, to hercs and griffons, parachuting, rapelling, helocasting, airmobile, extractions, insertions - it always seems that we are the very last priority, and no matter how well we prepare and how nice we are, there is almost always seems to be someone in a wedge saying that that day's event will not be happening - then hopping in his rental and driving away.

I'm not saying that there are'nt bigger issues, or ones transparent to me that are at play - but when 90% of the a/c I am supposed to be transported in are "notional" LSVW-146s, piloted by tpt platoon, and probably half of our jumps are stop dropped for a whole host of reasons - what am I to think?

It might sound too negative, but it's the truth from my vantage point.

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2006, 21:19:46 »
then hopping in his rental and driving away.

Or in my case, stomping off to my tent.  Other than transiting aircraft I've only had one Ex where I was lucky enough to stay in a hotel.   ;D

I guess I was a little rough too.  I'm a little cranky after being grounded for awhile and on meds that don't seem to do anything...which brings an answer to what we do when we are not flying.

Right now, I am catching up on quarterly and semi readings.  Sooooo much fun, let me say.  Although there is always something new to learn and the only way you can find out what ammendments have been made.

I also learned that the BGA-100 CF Flying Orders refer to UAVs as Uninhabited Aerial Vehicles (which annoys me to no end) whereas the 1 Cdn Air Div Orders refer to them as Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (much prefered in my opinion). UFI, I know.

I also pick up any weekend duties that are required and can put a little more attention to my secondary duties.

Seems to be the consensus from the pilots that have posted already.
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Offline GO!!!

• Fallen Comrade
  • Army.ca Veteran
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2006, 22:15:34 »
I was thinking - it's too bad we can't do unit/job exchanges between the elements.

It would be pretty interesting to be the aircrew, and see what has to be done in terms of pre - flight checks, while they were put through the paces of a flight refresher, and then dressed, full kit, with snowshoes and whites >:D to wait for the plane. 

Given the op tempo of some units, it would probably be tough - but it would definitely lead to a greater appreciation of what the other half is doing!

Speaking of the "other half" would anyone from 408 care to comment on the goings - on at CMTC on this last rotation? Rumour has it that there were a few hitches with the VIP schedule...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 22:22:33 by GO!!! »

Offline probum non poenitet

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2006, 22:39:45 »
I was thinking - it's too bad we can't do unit/job exchanges between the elements.

Like, say, take a company sergeant major from an infantry battalion, and make him a Steward for a day?
"Here's your sandwich, you hairy &*$%!"

I smell Reality TV pitch.
What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others.
- Pericles

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2006, 22:46:47 »
Just as long as it doesn't include having them sit in the cockpit for a flight.

"Wow, that's a lot of buttons and switches.  What are these two red handles that say 'Fire' for?  Do we pull them to 'fire' up the engines?  Oh, and why do I keep getting an 'OVER TRQ' light?  What does that mean?"

;D
Stop assuming I'm a man!

aesop081

« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2006, 22:52:52 »

"Wow, that's a lot of buttons and switches.  What are these two red handles that say 'Fire' for?  Do we pull them to 'fire' up the engines?  Oh, and why do I keep getting an 'OVER TRQ' light?  What does that mean?"

;D

Must be nice to only have 2 engines to worry about !!

Offline GO!!!

• Fallen Comrade
  • Army.ca Veteran
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2006, 23:20:33 »

...or listening to pilots in flight racks

"ow! this harness hurts!, what?? pull myself up on those straps? are you nuts? what about my manicure? reserve chute? what do I need that for? pilots don't make mistakes - that's why we're pilots! this is hard - should'nt the aircrew be doing this?"

;D

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2006, 23:40:59 »
Like, say, take a company sergeant major from an infantry battalion, and make him a Steward for a day?
"Here's your sandwich, you hairy &*$%!"

"What??  You want WHAT!!??  You didn't pack for this flight didja?  DIDJA!!??  You think I make up kit lists for my own frriggin' use?? GET OUT!!!  Big friggin' deal 40 thousand feet.  OUT!!  NOW!!!!"

Sign me up...
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2006, 12:30:53 »
it always seems that we are the very last priority, and no matter how well we prepare and how nice we are, there is almost always seems to be someone in a wedge saying that that day's event will not be happening
Unfortunately, that is all too true.

Tac Hel exists, as I have stated here several times, to support you guys on the ground.

Unfortunately, our ability to do that, with everything else thrown in, and undermanning of aircrew and groundcrew, seems to be less and less each day/week/month/year.

It frustrates us too  - especially me, as one of the guys trying to te-up support for ground units. I spent more than one year in the militia as a private. While I have not had the pleasure of meeting Mr Taliban face-to-face, I did enough to get far more than just a taste of your side, and that is my principle motivation in my current function.

Saying "no", or, even worse, "about those helicopters that we said you were getting...", gives me absolutely no job satisfaction at all. And the shortage of resources increases my workload as I attempt to find support elsewhere (we are fortunate here in that I have four Squadrons to draw from at times) or negotiate alternate days or times back and forth between interested parties.

I do this while remembering the good old days, when we were flying two or more trips a day and couldn't find enough real missions to support, finding a serviceable helicopter was not a challenge, and neither was finding qualified and current crewmembers (especially aircraft captains).

We do the best that we can with what we have to work with, both personnel and equipment. I cannot speak for 408 Sqn, but they were handed the TUAV job a couple of years ago and that has drawn off a significant number of techs and more experineced pilots. I'd bet that those guys would much prefer to be flying helicopters than doing the UAV thing.

I'd like to be able to pick up every single tired, hungry, cold, wet, and muddy Soldier and bring him/her back from the middle of nowhere, but we just don't have the means to do that.

Offline Popurhedoff

• Rate Post
  • I love my retirement
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2006, 18:36:28 »
This may come off a little brash but here goes,  I tend to talk and debate about stuff I know, not about stuff that I do not have all the facts about unless I add a caveate. I do not try use a broad brush to paint a whole element in a bad light.  If I related all the unflattering, stupid, dangerous, or Charlie Foxtrot stories I have witnessed over the years , that here some might be embarrassed enough to remuster.

Some of you youngn's haven't figured it out yet... We are on the same freaking team.  This, that, yip, yap, some of you sound like a bunch of snot nosed Lil rapscallions... Get some friggen time in and make for some intelligent debates... or use some humor here.

Now back to the topic at hand..."what pilots do when they are not flying?"...

Some (pilots) have been known to use Romulian Cloaking Devices immediately after their Debriefs, some have been rumored to hang with the "Tavelocity Gnome" and some actually take extra courses i.e"

"Tactical Hair Care Products for the Modern Battlefield",
"Oakley's the Ultimate Accessory for Flight Suits", and my personal favorite
"How to win the Army Ironman Competition with less than 1 hr of PT a day"

Statutory Holidays + Weekends off + Annual Leave taken since I enlisted = 3794 days or 10.4 years.

Cheers
Pop

Train to Win ~ The Life you save, just might be your own.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2006, 18:39:46 »
"Tactical Hair Care Products for the Modern Battlefield",

:rofl:

Personally, I listen to the purple Kangaroo's recommendations.  ;D

Offline BulletMagnet

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2006, 19:03:31 »
you sound like a bunch of snot nosed Lil rapscallions

You owe me a new keyboard, Rapscallions...geez show your age there old man!  ;)

Statutory Holidays + Weekends off + Annual Leave taken since I enlisted = 3794 days or 10.4 years.

More days off then I have days in uniform, so what was the airforce like when they piloted terydactyl?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 19:12:27 by HitorMiss »

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2006, 19:11:54 »
More days off then I have days in uniform, so what was the airforce like when they piloted trydactyl?

Well FOD clean-up on the runway was a pretty crappy job.... ;D
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline Popurhedoff

• Rate Post
  • I love my retirement
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2006, 20:00:48 »
... so what was the airforce like when they piloted terydactyl?

Kids were seen and not heard :P   and the Teryldactyl had an army guy in each claw... the original "Dumb Bombs"

No Organic FOD Haggis... just Hugh organic land mines  :(

Offline GO!!!

• Fallen Comrade
  • Army.ca Veteran
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2006, 23:47:39 »

.....having enough time to sit around and calculate that - priceless.  ;)

Offline Trunk Monkey

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2006, 00:32:11 »
Go!!!.........you with 3VP? I think one of the snafu's with us involved you guys also. Heard the scuttle at work but never payed attention. I'll ask next week and find out how many Generals were "inconvienced".
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 00:35:34 by bison33 »

Offline Popurhedoff

• Rate Post
  • I love my retirement
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2006, 09:12:21 »
.....having enough time to sit around and calculate that - priceless.  ;)
Kids  ;D  why sit around with a pencil (non mechanical)  and cypher that... get with the times and use an excel worksheet  ;D

I could send you a copy... it will also calculate your time in  in Years, months, days, hours, minutes, and guess what... hold the F9 key and it gives it to you in running seconds... it will give you percentages of time in service vs civie time,  calculate your happiness factor  :)
All you have to do it enter your Birthdate, date enrolled and your retirement date...  the program does the rest...  people have been adding to it over the years...  feel free to add to it.

Having the experience and time in to enjoy that 6th week on annual leave/per year may not be priceless... but I enjoy it   :dontpanic:

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2006, 12:55:02 »
"How to win the Army Ironman Competition with less than 1 hr of PT a day"

I noticed no one jumped in on THAT little point...
 ;D ;D
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Offline BulletMagnet

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2006, 12:56:12 »
Pfffft 1 RCR was deployed, see how you do next year!

Offline Popurhedoff

• Rate Post
  • I love my retirement
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2006, 22:05:26 »
Pfffft 1 RCR was deployed, see how you do next year!

and???  weren't the 22e' guys that beat 1RCR guys there this year again... yes  ;D  Now dont go making excuses... next thing you know you will be asking for shooting lessons from the AirForce...   ;)

Cheers
Pop

P.S.  see you at the range at noon.  :P
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 22:10:50 by Popurhedoff »

Offline GO!!!

• Fallen Comrade
  • Army.ca Veteran
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2006, 22:55:31 »
and???  weren't the 22e' guys that beat 1RCR guys there this year again... yes  ;D  Now dont go making excuses... next thing you know you will be asking for shooting lessons from the AirForce...   ;)

"My name is Cpl. Gander. In the next 40 minutes I will teach you how to miss a target by 50 paces...."

;D

Offline BulletMagnet

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2006, 23:01:12 »
Your on your own here GO!!!

Pop overthere could teach the DHTC boys a few things about pistol shooting thats for sure(Oh wait he has...), He has mad skillz!

As for the Ironman we'll see next year wont we Pop  ;)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 23:08:27 by HitorMiss »

Offline Barracuda13

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2006, 04:57:26 »
Seems like... there is life after the flight :) cheers guys

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2007, 07:30:49 »
That's right. Pilots are serious professionals, even if they spend most of their time on the ground moving their hands in odd ways and making buzz noises through pursed lips.

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2007, 09:20:23 »
There are a number of us posting on this thread who have already "busted our balls" (or the female equivalent thereof, whatever that is) and none of us seem to have a problem.

Amen to that.
You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2007, 12:40:28 »
That's right. Pilots are serious professionals, even if they spend most of their time on the ground moving their hands in odd ways and making buzz noises through pursed lips.

Old sweat has clearly experienced the tac hel equivalent of fighter pilot "Timex killers"...stange mumblings, trying to recall the conversations on 3 or 4 tactical nets, wiggling their fingers like main rotors as their hands hold tight formation with each other flying around the mess...  ;D

G2G

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2007, 13:59:15 »
G2G,

Over my career I have trusted my life to service pilots in an astonishing variety of aircraft, and I guess I would probably do so again. These include L19s (Canadian and Norwegian), Otter, Twin Otter, Buffalo, Boxcar, Bristol Freighter, Dakota, Yukon, 707, Cosmopolitan, a British Army Beaver, some US Army light executive turboprops and an US ANG 123 in the fixed wing field and CH112, CH113, Kiowas (Canadian and US), various UH-1 variants and Chinook helicopters. Most flights were routine, some were exciting, a bunch included a take off but not a landing and a few just plain scared the crap out of me.

I guess, since they all delivered me to the planned destination - or somewhat close to it when parachuting -, that most soldiers really don't care all that much what pilots do with their 'down time' as long as they are competent in the air. That, however, has never and will never stop me from pointing out their many social failings real and imagined.

Cheers,

Sweatie

edit: How could I have forgotten the mighty Hercules?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 15:21:25 by Old Sweat »

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2007, 14:11:34 »
OS, I'm a walking posterchild for disfunction (although I usually keep the greasy side down)! ;D

p.s.  In my spare time, I try to answer the 200+ e-mails a day I get at work...yuck!

Cheers,
G2G

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2007, 22:12:48 »
Hey, what happenned to this thread?  Were there not a few more posts here?
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2007, 22:17:45 »
Hey, what happenned to this thread?  Were there not a few more posts here?

Yes there were.  Someone was posting irrelevant material in a very immature manner and we cleaned the trash out.  Perhaps you remember him, and will be on the watch for him in the future.   ;)
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline weiss

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2007, 00:12:06 »
Gentlemen, I can't believe it was me who started this thread.  Does anybody remember original question?

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2007, 00:49:57 »
Yes there were.  Someone was posting irrelevant material in a very immature manner and we cleaned the trash out.  Perhaps you remember him, and will be on the watch for him in the future.   ;)

Uh, oh...

Some of my posts are missing - I hope that you don't mean me. I already managed to get onto Strike's hate list, albeit briefly.

Offline GaryM12

• Rate Post
  • Killing by proxy
    • AES Op Lounge
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2009, 12:17:20 »
Gentlemen, I can't believe it was me who started this thread.  Does anybody remember original question?

Yes. The original question was "what do pilots do when they arent flying".......

As a corrollory question:

What do pilots use for Birth Control?
Their Personality  ;D
RCR 1978-1984
AES Op 1984-present
UAV Guy-Today until I retire

Offline Otis

• Rate Post
  • Old enough to know better, too foolish to quit!
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2009, 22:26:09 »
From my experience at 443 Sqdn in Esquimalt, when pilots aren't flying they spend their time sitting in the briefing room b*tching about not flying ... OR bugging the techs to try to speed them up so the Pilots can be flying again (conversely having the actual effect of slowing the Techs down, either by preventing them from getting work done or by annoying them so they intentionally slow down)

But that's just an old Bin Rat's perspective...I'm sure in real life they're training or studying or doing something else useful.  :-X
Since I've been on the new medication, it's become MUCH easier to ignore the Stupid people.