Author Topic: Help? How To Use The Quote Function  (Read 2190 times)

Offline D Squared

is back.

• Rate Post
  • CF Cheerleader
Help? How To Use The Quote Function
« on: February 28, 2007, 10:27:06 »
I have read and re-read the help on how to post, etc, and I now feel like acomplete idiot having to ask this...how does one insert part of someone's comment (it appears in a little box) when replying to a post.  Please don't refer me back to what I was reading, I don't get it ???
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 11:08:34 by Bruce Monkhouse »
Yesterday I was a dog.  Today I'm a dog.  Tomorrow I'll propbably be a dog.  Sigh!  There's so little chance for advancement. --Snoopy.

Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight. --Bruce Cockburn

Catch your dreams before they slip away.  --The Rolling Stones

Offline Shamrock

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Help?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 10:31:30 »
I have read and re-read the help on how to post, etc, and I now feel like acomplete idiot having to ask this...how does one insert part of someone's comment (it appears in a little box) when replying to a post.  Please don't refer me back to what I was reading, I don't get it ???

Little quote button above and to the right of the specific post you want to quote-- looks like this: Quote.  The button appears in line with the particular post's title/topic

Can also be done by typing <quote></quote> (where < & > 's are replaced with [ & ]'s)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 10:34:31 by Shamrock »

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 10:32:56 »

Go to the post you wish to copy. Instead of hitting the "reply" button, hit the "quote" button. That will take you to the same screen that you are used to but will quote their post in the little box to which you refer.

If you only want to quote part of the post, ensure that you delete only the parts you want removed, and also make sure you leave the bracketed start quote/end quote at each end.

Vern
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline D Squared

is back.

• Rate Post
  • CF Cheerleader
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 10:42:09 »
If you only want to quote part of the post, ensure that you delete only the parts you want removed, and also make sure you leave the bracketed start quote/end quote at each end.

Thanks !!!
Yesterday I was a dog.  Today I'm a dog.  Tomorrow I'll propbably be a dog.  Sigh!  There's so little chance for advancement. --Snoopy.

Offline D Squared

is back.

• Rate Post
  • CF Cheerleader
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 10:45:33 »

OK  NOW I get it  :D

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 10:47:12 »
Good!! It took me about 2 months to figure it out!!

Vern
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 10:48:00 »
And if you wish to quote multiple posts you can open seperate windows.

As well, when you wish to insert replies to specific parts of a post you can do this by interrupting the full quote with the end quote in brackets, then type your reply, when ready to start the new quote simply use the opening code. Time consuming but effective.
Be nice for no reason.