Author Topic: Vimy Ridge no-shows  (Read 7832 times)

Offline ParaMedTech

• Rate Post
Re: Vimy Ridge no-shows
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2007, 03:17:52 »
We were just as much a nation of ethnic diversity back then as we are now.

Sure, with 76% of immigrants being from Europe, and 2.7% from Asia in 1921 verus the 5% spread in 2001
http://www.canadaimmigrants.com/statistics.asp

In fact, if you look at this table: http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census01/products/analytic/companion/etoimm/imm.cfm from Stats Canada you won't see, excluding the USA, a non-European (depending on how one defines "European") nation on the list until the "Other West Indies" appear with 3% in the 1960's.

I'll concede that "other" cultural numbers rose steadily after that, but the myth that Canada's been this big multicult mixture from day one is patently false.

Canadian culture is characterized by the fact that we are a nation of immigrants who’s cultures have all blended together.

Please define "Canadian Culture".

Speak for yourself, my culture is almost as pure, and unblended, as my Scotch.   ;D

DF

I'm not going to turn this into yet another immigration thread, but I couldn't leave that falsehood unchallenged.
Carter, hand me my thinking grenades.

Offline FrenchAffair

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2007, 04:56:31 »
I'll concede that "other" cultural numbers rose steadily after that, but the myth that Canada's been this big multicult mixture from day one is patently false.

So all “Europeans” have the same culture, ethnicity, language…..?

Immigrants came from accost Europe, bring their culture to this nation. We were ethnically diverse back then and we are now… the ethnic influence into our nation in more modern times is just more visible on a first glance.

Please define "Canadian Culture".

Speak for yourself, my culture is almost as pure, and unblended, as my Scotch.

Pure what? Canadian culture defines itself.

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2007, 08:05:10 »
                                      BACK ON THE TOPIC
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2007, 10:12:28 »
3600 high school students from across Canada are attending the ceremonies, each one having completed a project on one of the 3600 fallen Canadians during the battle.  :salute:

Why couldn't they have done this while I was at high school instead of writing a damn essay on the tainted tuna scandal?!

My nephew is one of them!  :salute:  See second picture in story: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070402/vimy_ridge_070402/20070402?hub=Canada
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Mr.Newf

• King of the Granite Planet
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Fuc*in Eh!
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2007, 10:17:24 »
3600 high school students from across Canada are attending the ceremonies, each one having completed a project on one of the 3600 fallen Canadians during the battle.  :salute:

Why couldn't they have done this while I was at high school instead of writing a damn essay on the tainted tuna scandal?!
I only wish we had the chance to go. I would have been honoured  :salute:  :cdn:
I am the one and only

Offline nowhere_man

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2007, 09:22:21 »
I would bet money that Micheal Ignatief would have made it.

I'm pretty sure that I did see Mr. Ignatief on the TV at Vimy.

BTW why would the Bloc need to send anyone over to Vimy, I know that soldiers from Quebec faught at Vimy but really though.
Their whole angle is not liking the rest of Canada.

I don't run democracy. I train troops to defend democracy and I happen to be their surrogate father and mother as well as their commanding general."
- Lt Gen Alfred M. Gray, USMC

Offline rmacqueen

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2007, 11:26:44 »
I'm pretty sure that I did see Mr. Ignatief on the TV at Vimy.

Ignatief was there, but as an academic he probably knows how to keep track of dates.

BTW why would the Bloc need to send anyone over to Vimy, I know that soldiers from Quebec fought at Vimy but really though.
Their whole angle is not liking the rest of Canada.

The Van Doos fought at Vimy along side the soldiers from the rest of Canada.  Douceppe, who proports to respresent all people from Quebec, should have been there to honour soldiers from the very province he says he is standing up for. 
I would rather regret the things I have done than the things I haven't - Lucille Ball

Offline Dirt Digger

• Rate Post
  • Mercedes-Benz for our time
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2007, 12:29:21 »
To all those that felt they couldn't attend Vimy because they weren't informed, "until it was too late to accept":

Using basic math skills, you too can predict when the 100th anniversary will occur!

April 9th 1917 + 100 years = April 9th 2017

Write it down on your calendar.
Fighting the spread of Communism and Country Music since 1991...

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2007, 12:42:02 »
To all those that felt they couldn't attend Vimy because they weren't informed, "until it was too late to accept":

Using basic math skills, you too can predict when the 100th anniversary will occur!

What if you don't have a 1917 calendar?   (had to ask   ;D )
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline mover1

• Rate Post
  • I wasn't looking at anybodys birthmark man........
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2007, 12:51:12 »
The Prime Minister of Canada was there.
In my own little messed up mind I think he was the only one required to be there representing Canada as the elected leader of the country no matter what part he is from.
Who cares if Dion and the others were not there. I don't.
I saw three wreaths laid.

One from the the Canada one from the French and one from the Queen. The rededicating Ceremony was about remembrance, and once again the opposition parties are turning it into election issues.

Does anyone know if they showed up at the GG ceremony in Ottawa?

Offline Drummy

• Rate Post
  • Regimental Drum Major
    • The Regimental Band of the Canadian Guards
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2007, 12:52:55 »

You will also have to explain about Leap Years !     ;D

Drummy

Offline Boxkicker

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2007, 15:36:11 »
I only wish we had the chance to go. I would have been honoured  :salute:  :cdn:
+1 from me as well.

I guess the oter so called leaders don't have a clue of how to pick up the phone, several month's back and say Stphen do you have room for me. Really why wait for an invitation, take some personal intiative.
Peace is our desire. Honor and sacrifice our calling.