Author Topic: Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS  (Read 361739 times)

Offline Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS
« Reply #1225 on: April 16, 2018, 12:43:51 »
The shock and horror that their crewmembers are dressed in Multicam!    ::)

and yet the world did not stop.
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Online jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 21 YOA
« Reply #1226 on: April 16, 2018, 13:55:06 »
The shock and horror that their crewmembers are dressed in Multicam!    ::)

Wait a minute.  They were camouflaged! You weren't suppose to see them.  That's cheating.
Annoying Liberals, apparently I'm doing a good job of it =)

Offline whiskey601

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1227 on: April 16, 2018, 14:20:07 »
For the patrol role yes and it could certainly do mine warfare. It has a crane that could launch the AUV's that we're currently using. There is some limitations such as one ROD plant that would need to be rectified and would need degausing gear installed in the build. As well it carries muti beam sonar that the Danes use for chart making, and is exactly what the Kingston Class has done in the past.

For that sort of work, this specialized ship makes an interesting case for some ideas if a new ship was/is ever under consideration for MCDV and chart work: https://navaltoday.com/2018/01/31/stx-france-edr-socarenam-team-for-belgian-mine-countermeasure-project/

and:
https://navaltoday.com/2018/01/29/belgium-oks-acquisition-of-six-new-mine-countermeasure-vessels/

It is not, however, a "patrol ship",  would not have a helo deck and so if sent anywhere inhospitable it may require the protection of another platform. But then again, neither do the Kingston's.

edit to add second link.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 14:40:44 by whiskey601 »

Offline Swampbuggy

• Rate Post
« Reply #1228 on: April 16, 2018, 17:03:41 »
As far as the Arctic operations for AOPS goes, does anyone know yet if the plan is to send all 5-6 up North as soon as conditions permit? Or will maybe 1 each coast remain for Southern patrol duties?

Offline Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1229 on: April 16, 2018, 17:10:36 »
As far as the Arctic operations for AOPS goes, does anyone know yet if the plan is to send all 5-6 up North as soon as conditions permit? Or will maybe 1 each coast remain for Southern patrol duties?

All DeWolf Class won't be operating in the Arctic at the same time. I relive the intent is to have several stationed on the West Coast for patrols in the Western Arctic, the others on the East Coast and one or more may be refit at the time.

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline Swampbuggy

• Rate Post
« Reply #1230 on: April 16, 2018, 17:14:27 »
That’s what made me wonder, given that the West Coast is planned to have only 2, I believe. Made me wonder how they were going to juggle both missions AND maintenance. I’m glad that kind of coordination isn’t my job!

Online jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1231 on: April 16, 2018, 17:15:31 »

All DeWolf Class won't be operating in the Arctic at the same time. I relive the intent is to have several stationed on the West Coast for patrols in the Western Arctic, the others on the East Coast and one or more may be refit at the time.

What!!!  Now you tell me.  I've been buying spare gear with the distribution of all AOPS in Halifax.... Damn it

Offline Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1232 on: April 16, 2018, 17:22:56 »
What!!!  Now you tell me.  I've been buying spare gear with the distribution of all AOPS in Halifax.... Damn it

Hey that's what I think, they may very well be all on the EC but its makes sense to send several to the WC at some point.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 17:35:12 by Chief Stoker »

كافر

Offline Swampbuggy

• Rate Post
« Reply #1233 on: April 16, 2018, 17:30:37 »
Absolutely. I was hoping for an even split if they built 6, mostly so that they could fulfill the “O” in AOPS.

Offline Underway

• Rate Post
« Reply #1234 on: Yesterday at 13:10:15 »

Well they all will start out in the East.  Maybe they can just take the gear you've been buying when they leave for the West Coast...  probably won't even send you a thank you email.

Online jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1235 on: Yesterday at 14:04:58 »
The ungrateful bastards.  >:(