Author Topic: Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS  (Read 422808 times)

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS
« Reply #1225 on: April 16, 2018, 12:43:51 »
The shock and horror that their crewmembers are dressed in Multicam!    ::)

and yet the world did not stop.
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

jollyjacktar

« Reply #1226 on: April 16, 2018, 13:55:06 »
The shock and horror that their crewmembers are dressed in Multicam!    ::)

Wait a minute.  They were camouflaged! You weren't suppose to see them.  That's cheating.

Offline whiskey601

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1227 on: April 16, 2018, 14:20:07 »
For the patrol role yes and it could certainly do mine warfare. It has a crane that could launch the AUV's that we're currently using. There is some limitations such as one ROD plant that would need to be rectified and would need degausing gear installed in the build. As well it carries muti beam sonar that the Danes use for chart making, and is exactly what the Kingston Class has done in the past.

For that sort of work, this specialized ship makes an interesting case for some ideas if a new ship was/is ever under consideration for MCDV and chart work: https://navaltoday.com/2018/01/31/stx-france-edr-socarenam-team-for-belgian-mine-countermeasure-project/

and:
https://navaltoday.com/2018/01/29/belgium-oks-acquisition-of-six-new-mine-countermeasure-vessels/

It is not, however, a "patrol ship",  would not have a helo deck and so if sent anywhere inhospitable it may require the protection of another platform. But then again, neither do the Kingston's.

edit to add second link.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 14:40:44 by whiskey601 »

Offline Swampbuggy

• Rate Post
« Reply #1228 on: April 16, 2018, 17:03:41 »
As far as the Arctic operations for AOPS goes, does anyone know yet if the plan is to send all 5-6 up North as soon as conditions permit? Or will maybe 1 each coast remain for Southern patrol duties?

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1229 on: April 16, 2018, 17:10:36 »
As far as the Arctic operations for AOPS goes, does anyone know yet if the plan is to send all 5-6 up North as soon as conditions permit? Or will maybe 1 each coast remain for Southern patrol duties?

All DeWolf Class won't be operating in the Arctic at the same time. I relive the intent is to have several stationed on the West Coast for patrols in the Western Arctic, the others on the East Coast and one or more may be refit at the time.

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline Swampbuggy

• Rate Post
« Reply #1230 on: April 16, 2018, 17:14:27 »
That’s what made me wonder, given that the West Coast is planned to have only 2, I believe. Made me wonder how they were going to juggle both missions AND maintenance. I’m glad that kind of coordination isn’t my job!

jollyjacktar

« Reply #1231 on: April 16, 2018, 17:15:31 »

All DeWolf Class won't be operating in the Arctic at the same time. I relive the intent is to have several stationed on the West Coast for patrols in the Western Arctic, the others on the East Coast and one or more may be refit at the time.

What!!!  Now you tell me.  I've been buying spare gear with the distribution of all AOPS in Halifax.... Damn it

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1232 on: April 16, 2018, 17:22:56 »
What!!!  Now you tell me.  I've been buying spare gear with the distribution of all AOPS in Halifax.... Damn it

Hey that's what I think, they may very well be all on the EC but its makes sense to send several to the WC at some point.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 17:35:12 by Chief Stoker »

كافر

Offline Swampbuggy

• Rate Post
« Reply #1233 on: April 16, 2018, 17:30:37 »
Absolutely. I was hoping for an even split if they built 6, mostly so that they could fulfill the “O” in AOPS.

Offline Underway

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1234 on: April 20, 2018, 13:10:15 »

Well they all will start out in the East.  Maybe they can just take the gear you've been buying when they leave for the West Coast...  probably won't even send you a thank you email.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #1235 on: April 20, 2018, 14:04:58 »
The ungrateful bastards.  >:(

Offline Patski

• Rate Post
« Reply #1236 on: April 27, 2018, 13:24:01 »
Do will still need the Aops?  Uk government just gave us the HMS Erebus and Terror!  That should cover it no?  (sorry... friday afternoon joke!)

Offline dapaterson

- a scruffy-looking nerf herder.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1237 on: April 27, 2018, 15:06:01 »
Do will still need the Aops?  Uk government just gave us the HMS Erebus and Terror!  That should cover it no?  (sorry... friday afternoon joke!)
They are in better shape than the last Royal Navy vessels we acquired...
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Czech_pivo

• Rate Post
« Reply #1238 on: May 02, 2018, 09:08:56 »
I've been able to answer my question, steel was cut on Max Bernays on 19 Dec, 2017. So if they are cutting steel at about 20 months apart (and this holds true going forward) from the 2nd to the 3rd ship, then they'll cut steel on the 4th ship basically in Aug of 2019 and then the fifth ship Dec of 2020 and the final ship Aug of 2022 (assuming that there is a 6th ship). That means that the 6th ship would be ready to drop in the water sometime late winter/early spring of 2024.  Somehow I doubt that we'll be in a position to be cutting steel on the first CSC sometime in the late fall/early winter of 2022, so maybe they will be a 7th AOPS.

Does anyone know if they've started cutting steel on the 3rd AOPS yet?  From Irving's website they state that they cut first steel on #2 back on August 2016 and then didn't have the keel laying ceremony until May 2017. There is nothing posted about them starting on the 3rd ship yet.  Any news on this?  Seems like timelines are growing longer and longer on when they start work on the next ship instead of shorter as one would expect.  I guess maybe they've been told to slow the work down and produce at a slower pace in order to deal with the fact that the CSC is crawling along.  Its one way of addressing the 'gap' in work that was being bantered about so much back in the fall/winter.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 10:50:38 by Czech_pivo »

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1239 on: May 02, 2018, 15:41:15 »
I've been able to answer my question, steel was cut on Max Bernays on 19 Dec, 2017. So if they are cutting steel at about 20 months apart (and this holds true going forward) from the 2nd to the 3rd ship, then they'll cut steel on the 4th ship basically in Aug of 2019 and then the fifth ship Dec of 2020 and the final ship Aug of 2022 (assuming that there is a 6th ship). That means that the 6th ship would be ready to drop in the water sometime late winter/early spring of 2024.  Somehow I doubt that we'll be in a position to be cutting steel on the first CSC sometime in the late fall/early winter of 2022, so maybe they will be a 7th AOPS.

Does anyone know if they've started cutting steel on the 3rd AOPS yet?  From Irving's website they state that they cut first steel on #2 back on August 2016 and then didn't have the keel laying ceremony until May 2017. There is nothing posted about them starting on the 3rd ship yet.  Any news on this?  Seems like timelines are growing longer and longer on when they start work on the next ship instead of shorter as one would expect.  I guess maybe they've been told to slow the work down and produce at a slower pace in order to deal with the fact that the CSC is crawling along.  Its one way of addressing the 'gap' in work that was being bantered about so much back in the fall/winter.

Yes steel was being cut on future Max Bernays as of last Dec, that is the third AOPS.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 16:11:30 by Chief Stoker »

كافر

Offline Underway

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1240 on: May 02, 2018, 15:45:17 »

Max Bernay's is the third ship and yes they have (as stated by Chief Stoker).  They are actually going at a faster pace than the Harry DeWolfe because of found efficiencies in the build.  Cutting between 2 and 4 months off the build time.  This is of course to be expected.  Looks like HDW will be launched soon.  I expect turned over to the navy July timeframe.

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1241 on: May 02, 2018, 15:51:07 »
Max Bernay's is the third ship and yes they have (as stated by Chief Stoker).  They are actually going at a faster pace than the Harry DeWolfe because of found efficiencies in the build.  Cutting between 2 and 4 months off the build time.  This is of course to be expected.  Looks like HDW will be launched soon.  I expect turned over to the navy July timeframe.

Yes the barge that will launch her, BOABARGE 37 in the Bedford basin is in Halifax.

كافر

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca

jollyjacktar

« Reply #1243 on: May 02, 2018, 19:32:27 »
Yes the barge that will launch her, BOABARGE 37 in the Bedford basin is in Halifax.

It is and leased for the next four years.  Harry, however, won't be launched until Sept.  My youngest is on that build.

Offline Czech_pivo

• Rate Post
« Reply #1244 on: May 02, 2018, 21:14:17 »
Four years most likely won’t be long enough to get all of the AOPS in the water.

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1245 on: May 02, 2018, 22:04:15 »
Four years most likely won’t be long enough to get all of the AOPS in the water.

For a guy who couldn't do a simple goggle search to find out they were cutting steel last Dec on the third AOPS you're all of a sudden an expert?

كافر

Offline Czech_pivo

• Rate Post
« Reply #1246 on: May 03, 2018, 05:45:58 »
Actually Chief, I did the ‘quick google search’ to find out when they were cutting steel on Max Bernays, as I added that info back into my first question well before anyone answered my original question. I’m simply looking at the fact that if HDW is still not in the water now, how do we expect them to build another 4/5 ships in 4 years to meet the 4 year timeline of the lease?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 05:50:53 by Czech_pivo »

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1247 on: May 03, 2018, 06:00:23 »
Actually Chief, I did the ‘quick google search’ to find out when they were cutting steel on Max Bernays, as I added that info back into my first question well before anyone answered my original question. I’m simply looking at the fact that if HDW is still not in the water now, how do we expect them to build another 4/5 ships in 4 years to meet the 4 year timeline of the lease?

I guess you missed the statement on the fact ISL is actually finding faster ways to build the ship and as subsequent ships are built, build time will be reduced.

كافر

Offline Czech_pivo

• Rate Post
« Reply #1248 on: May 03, 2018, 11:20:37 »
I truly do hope that this is the case as the sooner we add to the present day capability of the the RCN the better.  I guess we'll have to wait 4yrs to see which timeline turns out to be correct.

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #1249 on: May 03, 2018, 15:30:05 »
Rumour has it that ISL is becoming so efficient that they will have an 18 month gap in their production schedule before the CSCs happen.  ISL is apparently keen to fill the gap.  I can't help but wonder if they couldn't find time to complete all 8 of the originally planned vessels, and if their increased efficiency is translating into decreased costs.

As for foreign sales --- perhaps the Government could swap some AOPS and a Diefenbaker to the USCG in exchange for a consideration in the US Frigate program.

"Wyrd bið ful aræd"