Author Topic: Highway(s) of Heroes - Merged Thread  (Read 95716 times)

Offline NormR

• Rate Post
  • Civilian Instructor
Re: Let's officially designate 'Highway of Heroes'
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2007, 09:45:05 »
7848 and climbing by leaps and bounds...

over 8100 at 09:44 Aug 23...
Good Idea and one which needs to be pushed to all friends of the forces

Regards
Norm Out

Offline Code5

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2007, 09:47:56 »
the story was mentioned this morning on CBC radio news, but almost in passing. 

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2007, 10:10:45 »
Shared with the usual disclaimer -- emphasis mine...

McGuinty open to renaming 401 to honour soldiers
Canadian Press, via Toronto Star, Aug 22, 2007 06:42 PM
http://www.thestar.com/News/article/248908

PICTON, Ont. – Ontario's premier says he'll consider a call to rename Canada's busiest highway in honour of the country's soldiers.

Dalton McGuinty says he'll listen to recommendations that Highway 401 be renamed the Highway of Heroes.

The highway's overpasses have become the scene of impromptu gatherings in recent months, as people wave flags while motorcades pass by bearing the remains of soldiers killed in Afghanistan.

An online petition has been started asking the province's Transportation Ministry to make the name change.

The flag-draped coffin of the latest soldier to be killed in the war-torn country, Pte. Simon Longtin, was returned to CFB Trenton on Wednesday and was to be transported to Toronto for autopsy.

McGuinty was previously involved in changing the name of an Ottawa highway to Veterans Memorial Highway.

He says the province needs to look for opportunities to lend support to Canada's soldiers and thank them for their sacrifices.

Good idea?  GREAT idea -- I'm signature #8519.

Premier's statement a good sign?  Yes

Is it a platform promise?  Not that I can find

Has the Liberal party of Ontario issued an official statement indicating this as a platform plank?  Not that I can find

Does "will consider" = "will do"?  No guarantees

Watch, and shoot!
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline civmick

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2007, 10:13:58 »
Dogfood FM (aka CHUM) mentioned it this morning also.

Offline forcerecon85

• Fallen Comrade
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2007, 10:34:36 »
Thanks for all your support. London has added a web poll i was wondering if i could get some help with. right now 68% don't want to see it rededicated to our troops
http://www.am980.ca its down at the bottom right of the page. Thanks 3rd herd, but I just made the petition, its you guys that have gotten the word out  ;D

Offline Technoviking

DANCE TO THE TECHNOVIKING.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • OBEY!
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2007, 11:35:55 »
It's "in the loop" of the every 15 minute news story fest on CTV NewsNet.
So, there I was....

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2007, 12:45:23 »
Right now it's down to 57% who don't want it dedicated.
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline forcerecon85

• Fallen Comrade
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2007, 12:56:33 »
Thanks for voting and the support :) Tomorrow morning at 8:05am(Toronto Time) I'm doing a live and un-edited 5 minute interview on Canada AM. I plan to credit Army.ca for all your help and support and to talk about why I'm doing this

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2007, 13:04:05 »
Thanks for voting and the support :) Tomorrow morning at 8:05am(Toronto Time) I'm doing a live and un-edited 5 minute interview on Canada AM. I plan to credit Army.ca for all your help and support and to talk about why I'm doing this
You might as well tell en on the news that the people are already calling it the "highway of heroes" and Mr McGuinty will only be confirming what we already know.  There isn't even a need to spend a dime to change current roadsigns - It's still going to be the 401.  Over time, as the old signs are worn out / damaged, the replacement signs can be affixed with some sort of device.
Chimo!

Offline 211RadOp

• Rate Post
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2007, 13:07:44 »
I was #11385. In the time it took me to click accept and get back here it was up to 11393.
“I thought I couldn't afford to take her out and smoke as well. So I gave up cigarettes. Then I took her out and one day I looked at her and thought: "Oh well," and I went back to smoking again, and that was better.” - Benny Hill
"Politics: “Poli” a Latin word meaning “many”; and "tics" meaning “bloodsucking creatures” - Robin Williams
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.” - Miss Piggy

Offline D Squared

is back.

• Rate Post
  • CF Cheerleader
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2007, 13:11:48 »
NOs now down to 53% on the London poll  ;)
Yesterday I was a dog.  Today I'm a dog.  Tomorrow I'll propbably be a dog.  Sigh!  There's so little chance for advancement. --Snoopy.

Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight. --Bruce Cockburn

Catch your dreams before they slip away.  --The Rolling Stones

Online Old Sweat

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2007, 13:37:02 »
NOs down to 51%

Offline 3rd Herd

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Cave ab homine unius libri
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2007, 13:48:04 »
fifty fifty on the poll
"if he was to be hanged for it, he told his brother, he could not accuse a man whom he believed had meant well, and whose error was one of judgment, not of intention"
Wellington

Offline forcerecon85

• Fallen Comrade
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2007, 13:48:48 »
just recorded a CBC radio news interview, website credited :)

Offline Imbeault

• Yum Kippers!
  • Rate Post
  • Yum Kippers!
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2007, 13:50:41 »
51/49
Does defending liberalism leave you friendless and perhaps wondering about your breath? - Phil Ochs

Offline Technoviking

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • OBEY!
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2007, 14:28:13 »
53% "Yes", 47% "No"
So, there I was....

Offline super26

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2007, 15:00:25 »
401 may be renamed Highway of Heroes

Joyce Cassin - Port Hope Police
Local News - Thursday, August 23, 2007 Updated @ 10:53:14 AM

By Joyce Cassin

The stretch of highway between Trenton and Toronto that has been the well-traveled route for funeral processions for Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan may be renamed in their honour.

Premier Dalton McGuinty is considering naming the 172 kilometers of the 401 between Trenton and Toronto “Highway of Heroes”.

In Ontario, when a Canadian soldier dies for his country in Afghanistan, they touch down at Canadian Forces Base Trenton.
From there, a funeral procession leaves the base and heads to Toronto, taking our departed heroes to the Centre for Forensic Sciences where an autopsy is performed.

Along the 172 km path of Highway 401 people fill the overpasses to show their support, waving Canadian flags and signs; paying their respects to the fallen and their families. It's been unofficially dubbed the “Highway of Heroes”.

“For the last month or so when Pete Fisher initiated it, I’ve been working with the Minister of Transportation to make it a reality,” said Lou Rinaldi, MPP Northumberland-Quinte West. “We’re just not sure yet how we’re going to do it.”

He said that he is working closely with Donna Cansfield, Minister of Transportation, to explore different avenues to make it happen. Mr. Rinaldi said that it may have to come in the form of a Private Members Bill, but that can’t happen until after the House resumes sitting.

“You can rest assured that should it have to be a Private Members Bill, I will be bringing it forward as soon as the House sits,” said Mr. Rinaldi.

Offline Technoviking

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • OBEY!
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2007, 15:04:00 »
super26
Can you post the link to the original article?
So, there I was....

Offline MIKsam

• Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2007, 15:37:32 »
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2007/08/23/4441157-cp.html

No barrier to renaming stretch of Highway 401 to honour soldiers: minister

TORONTO (CP) - A stretch of Canada's busiest highway is set to be renamed in honour of soldiers who have given their lives in Afghanistan.

"There's no barriers to making this happen," Ontario Transportation Minister Donna Cansfield said Thursday. Cansfield said she will meet with Premier Dalton McGuinty on Friday to discuss how soon Highway 401 can adopt the name Highway of Heroes.

"I think when you consider the sacrifice that the soldiers and others have made, it's just a wonderful opportunity for us to reflect on that sacrifice and to be able to acknowledge it," Cansfield said.

"There's no reason not to do it. All we need to do now is get into the process of how quickly we can do it."

The renaming would affect a 170-kilometre stretch of the highway from CFB Trenton - where the bodies of repatriated soldiers arrive - to Toronto, where the remains are examined at a forensics centre.

Overpasses along the route have been the scenes of large, impromptu gatherings of people waving flags, holding placards and saluting the passing convoy.

Cansfield said the call to rename the highway came to her attention when she received word Wednesday of an online petition that has gathered more than 12,000 signatures.
Grow up in a military family and that is the life you know... FOREVER

Offline forcerecon85

• Fallen Comrade
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2007, 15:51:54 »
I was just going to post that. This has to be one of the happiest days of my life, since this is one of the most important things I've done in my young life. I'm so happy that as long as the boat isn't rocked by anyone that objects, it should go through. Its not over yet, but we took over this hill!  :cdn: :salute: Thank you everybody

Offline Code5

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2007, 15:53:16 »
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2007/08/23/4441157-cp.html

No barrier to renaming stretch of Highway 401 to honour soldiers: minister

TORONTO (CP) - A stretch of Canada's busiest highway is set to be renamed in honour of soldiers who have given their lives in Afghanistan.

"There's no barriers to making this happen," Ontario Transportation Minister Donna Cansfield said Thursday. Cansfield said she will meet with Premier Dalton McGuinty on Friday to discuss how soon Highway 401 can adopt the name Highway of Heroes.

"I think when you consider the sacrifice that the soldiers and others have made, it's just a wonderful opportunity for us to reflect on that sacrifice and to be able to acknowledge it," Cansfield said.

"There's no reason not to do it. All we need to do now is get into the process of how quickly we can do it."

The renaming would affect a 170-kilometre stretch of the highway from CFB Trenton - where the bodies of repatriated soldiers arrive - to Toronto, where the remains are examined at a forensics centre.

Overpasses along the route have been the scenes of large, impromptu gatherings of people waving flags, holding placards and saluting the passing convoy.

Cansfield said the call to rename the highway came to her attention when she received word Wednesday of an online petition that has gathered more than 12,000 signatures.

wow, I'm impressed the provincial government is moving so quickly on this.  It will be a nice tribute if they follow through with it.  
And as such, i take back what I said earlier, that i had huge doubts that the provincial government would do something like this.  

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Easy to draw, hard to spell
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2007, 16:00:21 »
http://www.ctv.ca/

Should a section of Canada's busiest highway be renamed the 'Highway of Heroes'?

Vote yes now.

"Return with your shield, or upon it."

Offline Cataract Kid

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2007, 17:03:55 »
14785 Signatures Total

Well done.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2007, 17:14:21 »
CTV poll, as of 1713EDT

Should a section of Canada's busiest highway be renamed the 'Highway of Heroes'?

Yes   1979 votes     (50 %)
No   1997 votes     (50 %)

Total Votes: 3976

Keep voting, folks!

“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline 3rd Herd

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Cave ab homine unius libri
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2007, 17:22:40 »
Yes 50%
No 50%
This is not a scientific poll 

15:22 Calgary time
"if he was to be hanged for it, he told his brother, he could not accuse a man whom he believed had meant well, and whose error was one of judgment, not of intention"
Wellington