Author Topic: Whats it like to be a LCIS tech  (Read 48363 times)

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: lcis tech
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2009, 18:43:58 »
I don't know anything about LCIS as I am a Crewman.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline tsokman

• Banned
  • Rate Post
Re: Whats it like to be a LCIS tech
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2009, 21:06:59 »
Any LCIS techs out there who can message me. I have a few more questions.
:)

Offline tsokman

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2009, 21:16:26 »
Do they deal with software at all because I notice its mostly hardware...or things like architectures, database, complers, OS..etc....

How close do they work with combat units during Ops...Are they armed and mobile during ops...

Offline tsokman

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2009, 19:39:25 »
is it a difficult trade for someone who has no electronics background other then physics...

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2009, 19:58:45 »
is it a difficult trade for someone who has no electronics background other then physics...

You'll be taught all the necessary skills in electronics on your POET course.

LCIS Techs do indeed work with all sorts of IT equipment (and software), but that varies from location to location.

Offline tsokman

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2009, 23:27:19 »
Thank you for your reply...do they deal with microelectronics..I read somewhere here they dont deal with the sub-compenent level...is this correct....

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2009, 23:40:13 »
Thank you for your reply...do they deal with microelectronics..I read somewhere here they dont deal with the sub-compenent level...is this correct....

Probably not very often.  There is a High Reliability Soldering course available, which would teach one how to work with multilayer PCBs and various IC types such as flat packages, but there would be very few people who would be employed doing this anything more than occasionally.  POET training would teach one how to troubleshoot to component level, but in practice, modules and circuit cards are the lowest replaceable units except at depot level maintenance.

Offline tsokman

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2009, 14:22:33 »
Thank your for your reply...is there anywhere I can find the curriculum for POET and QL3...is this after POET...QL3....do LCIS techs have an OTJ package....how long from BMQ to first posting...in terms of months on usual...i just finished my medical and Im waiting for an offer...

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2009, 15:23:06 »
I can tell you what POET consists of:

* Mathematics (including general technical maths and introduction to calculus),
    * Physics (motion, forces, energy, heat, light and sound),
    * Computer Programming (introduction and electronics applications),
    * Electricity (circuits and electro-mechanical devices),
    * Electronics (electronic devices, assembly methods, digital circuits, integrated circuits, electronic communications and discrete circuits),
    * Technological Skills (measurement, technical communication, technical drafting, electronic drafting, systems troubleshooting),
    * Communications Systems,
    * Microcomputer Systems, and
    * Electric Power and Machines.

As for your specific questions about LCIS QL3 (which would be after POET) and OJT packages, I'll have to defer to someone in the trade.  My info probably isn't current.

Offline Bob1987

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2009, 22:01:36 »
Hello , I enroll Jan 8/10 fly to do bmq on 9th , just wondering about the training timeline , I know that bmq , sq , poet , and ql3 are 80+ weeks , it says on the recruiting site you get annual leave , is leave paid, how long is it? When do you get an opportunity to take leave . During training do you Train everyday , do you get days off? Also wondering how many years to expect private pay rate after completion of training , thanks , 

Looking forward to January  !                         - bob

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2009, 22:08:15 »
Hello , I enroll Jan 8/10 fly to do bmq on 9th , just wondering about the training timeline , I know that bmq , sq , poet , and ql3 are 80+ weeks , it says on the recruiting site you get annual leave , is leave paid, how long is it? When do you get an opportunity to take leave . During training do you Train everyday , do you get days off? Also wondering how many years to expect private pay rate after completion of training , thanks
20 days leave per year (or 2 days per month for an incomplete year.
Yes, leave is paid.
How long it is, depends on how much time you have to take it (and how much leave you have).
You will probably have an opportunity in between courses to take leave.
Training is usually Mon-Fri but there can be weekends and evenings included.
Private pay, expect it for about four years, however, you get an incentive each year.

All of this info is already on the forum.  Try using the search function.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline tsokman

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2009, 00:10:54 »
do they work with technical workbooks...

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2009, 00:20:24 »
do they work with technical workbooks...

I've never heard of such a thing, and even Google isn't particularly clear on what a "technical workbook" is.

Offline tsokman

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2009, 09:45:29 »
Similar to a log book...where everything you repair is documented...

Offline tsokman

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2009, 11:44:41 »
What is the training curriculum for LCIS Tech QL3...

Offline Bob1987

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2009, 16:47:50 »
Thanks for answering pmedmoe, just trying to figure out 100% what  getting myself into before I get enrolled . I try to search before I ask but this proves to be a bit more difficult with the absence of a computer . I do my posting and searching from my iPhone , if I don't find an answer in 3 or 4 posts I'll ask . Realisticly I should have asked my recruiter but somtimes a few things slip your mind.

Thanks again.       Bob

Offline PMedMoe

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2009, 19:09:45 »
I do my posting and searching from my iPhone , if I don't find an answer in 3 or 4 posts I'll ask .

Thanks again.       Bob
No worries, that's understandable.
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline tsokman

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2009, 19:43:30 »
When it says LCIS techs do "technical admistration" can anyone expand on that for me...

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2009, 20:36:53 »
When it says LCIS techs do "technical admistration" can anyone expand on that for me...

Updating/maintaining TDPs (Technical Data Packages) for inside wiring/cabling, paperwork associated with planned and corrective maintenance, modification records, etc.

Pretty much anything that goes with the documentation world of being a tech.

Offline tsokman

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2009, 21:20:59 »
ok thanks...is this both electronic and paper...is this a specialiation or does everyone LCIS tech do it...

Offline PMedMoe

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2009, 21:43:29 »
ok thanks...is this both electronic and paper...is this a specialiation or does everyone LCIS tech do it...
I'm going to guess both electronic and paper and that all LCIS Techs do it.
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2009, 07:51:47 »
I'm going to guess both electronic and paper and that all LCIS Techs do it.

You got it.  With any maintenance, there are either paper or electronic records that need to be updated.  Parts have to be ordered and/or returned to Supply, which requires paperwork.  If a part breaks far too frequently, there are Unsatisfactory Condition Reports which go to the people responsible for procuring parts.  There is paperwork to transfer equipment between units.  There's oodles more, but it's all "Tech Admin".

Offline tsokman

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2009, 19:12:30 »
is there feedback analysis...like post-repair analysis...do you take notes while repairing systems...or do you work directly with a technical workbook while repairing...can anyone digress more on what overhauling entails...

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2009, 19:26:26 »
is there feedback analysis...like post-repair analysis...do you take notes while repairing systems...or do you work directly with a technical workbook while repairing...can anyone digress more on what overhauling entails...

I think you're worrying a little too much about the nitty gritty details of the job.  Very few people in uniform get into positions where they collate failure data on equipment.  Most tech positions are carrying the toolboxes and reporting the data.  If you want to maintain a log book, that's up to you - but I don't think it's an official part of the trade.  Records are kept of individual pieces of equipment to the level of what maintenance has been performed on it, and what mods have been done to it, but that's about it.

I think I've already told you once that "technical workbooks" aren't used in the LCIS trade, to the best of my knowledge.  You'll have an OJT package with various skills and tasks to be demonstrated to a particular level before being signed off, but that's the only thing you'll see that's close to a workbook.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2009, 19:48:20 »
Technical administration could also refer to maintaining the TACIS database, which is basically a barcode system in which the LCIS techs track TCCCS equipment installed in vehicles, or when items are out for repair.