Author Topic: The stuff the Army issues is Excellent!  (Read 109010 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
The stuff the Army issues is Excellent!
« on: March 08, 2008, 23:53:03 »
OK, I had to do this. Glass half full folks...

C7 and C9. Excellent weapons, and acknowledged as such by armies around the world

CADPAT fleece jacket and pants

The Gerber multi-tool. Awesome. And it's precursor the C5 knife - incomparable...

Thank You Canada!  :-*

"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline DiamondDarryl

• Rate Post
Re: The stuff the Army issues is Excellent!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 00:17:35 »
I'm not a C9 Advocate but Id have to agree about that fleece top. Number 1 piece of issued field kit. Have you got the issued Gerber or the issued SOG? SOG has got some major crushing power.

Offline TCBF

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 01:01:05 »
- The new goretex Cbt Jackets.
- All of our parkas, except the 1974.
- Thermal underwear.
- Muklucks!
- Windpants.
- The MagLine magnesium/aircraft cable snowshow (And yes, it WILL ignite if placed on a hot stove element).
- The bivy bag.
- The MG C6 (since 1979!)
- The Coleman Lantern and two-burner stove.
- Five and ten-man arctic tents.
- One and two man toboggans.
- All things John Moses Browning!!!
"Disarming the Canadian public is part of the new humanitarian social agenda."   - Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd Axeworthy at a Gun Control conference in Oslo, Norway in 1998.

"I didn’t feel that it was an act of violence; you know, I felt that it was an act of liberation, that’s how I felt you know." - Ann Hansen, Canadian 'Urban Guerrilla'(one of the "Squamish Five")

Offline WB

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 01:04:02 »
The LAV 3. There's something the army did right.

I like the fact that its wheeled. Without having much experience with tracked vehicles my impression is that the loss of tracked mobility is worth the survivability (will still roll with wheels blown off, but a slipped track is a mobility kill) and the less time spent doing maintenance.

The 25mm Bushmaster is THE Taliban killer in theatre. Its hard to back this one up with statistics, but I think guys most would agree that when you compare small arms, 155, or 105, the 25MM dishes out most of the punishment. These weapons systems have a role and are needed, but IMHO the 25MM is the backbone of the firepower we bring to the table.

The comms are decent. The systems we use arn't perfect, but you can usually get them to work. I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I don't think upgrading would be too much of an issue - provided that the money was there.

Plus you can carry the rest of the section in the back. It might be a tight squeeze with all the gear, but welcome to the army - if its not a tight squeeze then you're probably forgetting something behind.

The C9 is IMHO an awsome weapons system. There are better variants of the minimi out there, but it's still a solid LMG.

No one ever complains about the C6, unless you're the guy carrying it. Everyone else in the platoon loves it.

C8FTHB - a few bells and whistles would be nice, but its a great base to build on.

The Parka Shell is the most underrated piece of kit ever issued. Worn with with any combination of the fleece, stealth suit, softie, and polypro for 3 seasons of practical field wear.

Thats it for now...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 01:08:05 by Wonderbread »

Offline KevinB

• Has Been
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • As a Matter of Fact the Sky is Blue in my world...
    • FN America
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 03:34:24 »
C6 and C9 should have had the hydralic buffers of their US versions...

I like the SOG tool issue version way better than the Gerber.

Kevin S. Boland
Manager, Federal Sales
FN America, LLC
Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 703-244-1758  | Fax: 703.288.4505
www.fnhusa.com

Offline Breacher41

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Per Pietas et Virtus
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 07:48:03 »
The thermos canteen muahahaha... Hot coffee any one?
هناك [هس تو] كنت يستعصي طريق

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 08:35:37 »
Ziploc bags ...

Yes, there are indeed ziploc bags in the system that us suppies get to use for packaging etc ...

By far, the best little goodie I've had in the field (well second best -- the best goodie was the polaroid I was holding when a certain Major AJ fell into a latrine during one of those end-ex smokers).  >:D

SOG!!?? -- Is this the very same SOG that was brought into the system for the Field Engineers (and rolled out to all posns within 'entitled' UICs)?? You know -- the SOG with the crimping tool that the engineers aren't allowed to use for crimping (I know plenty who just continue to use their teeth instead due to the "no-crimping with the crimping tool message")?? Just goes to show you that as with every piece of kit --- some love it/some hate it ... and it doesn't always suit the purposes for which it was originally intended.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline 421 EME

• Rate Post
  • GCS-SWA, CPSM, UNFICYP, QDJM, CD
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 09:06:15 »
 Size 14 goretex socks, when worn over your duffle socks in your mukluks keep your feet nice and dry in the winter when it get a little wet out.
" Can We Fix It? Yes We Can!"

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 09:18:34 »
The ranger blanket.  ;D
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline --NES--

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 09:31:38 »

LWT Balaclava, AKA. Ninja Mask...  GOLD.   Perfect for wearing under helmet, bush cap or even under the winter balaclava for extra comfort. It may not be the "best" piece of kit,  as most of the top pieces have already been mentioned, but I think it's pretty damn good.
Please delete this account

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 12:07:36 »
KFS... no kidding. Some armies don't even provide them. And ours fits together in a nice little package!
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Love793

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 12:29:22 »
Mortar and AFV Gloves.
The role of Cavalry is to add dash and colour, to a otherwise drab event called war.

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 12:39:20 »
64 Pat Rucksack
Goretex socks
Cdn IMPs
Chimo!

Offline COBRA-6

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 13:06:35 »
- polypro thermal underwear
- neck gaiter
- mortar gloves
- cadpat leather gloves
- black leather logistik unicorp gloves with wool liner
- cold weather socks
- mucklucks
- arid t-shirt
- bivy bag
- black beauty air mattress
- cadpat camelbak
- goretex windpants
- goretex socks
- canteen, cup and stove
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 13:10:02 »
Black beauty air mattress? - Pneumatic air mattress?
Chimo!

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 13:59:10 »
The old "Black Betty" air mattress, one prior to the self inflating one.

Lucky if you still have one. Their worth their weight in gold IMHO.

Regards
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.--Ben Franklin

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    -Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 14:28:35 »
Pneumatic air mattresses are / were great... xcept when, at half past very late, the plug would pop out & everyone in the tent would wake up & rock back & forth ..... checking to see if it was theirs that had shed it"s plug
Chimo!

Offline *CDN*Blackhawk

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 14:46:57 »
agree with mostly everything here except i can honestly say i like the American IMPs allot better their the Canadian ones.

64 pattern ruck sack
Gerber
C9 LMG love this weapon
C8
LAV 3 and the 25 mm to go with it, probably best piece of kit we have
The New gortex rain gear
Pro Patria

Offline Staff Weenie

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 15:27:29 »
My old waffle pattern combat scarf - so many things you could do with it!

Anything fleece & anything gortex!

And 'Black Betty' - so multi-functional - air matress, toboggan, whatever....it was great

Offline 2 Cdo

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2008, 16:33:01 »
I would say anything clothing wise is a huge improvement over the crap I was originally issued with all those years ago. How did we survive without a bivbag or gortex? ;) ;D
AIRBORNE
2 Cdo 84-88

Offline Carcharodon Carcharias

• Drawing the crabs from Downunder :) WTF is TWL?
  • Banned
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 19:10:21 »
I would have to agree about the combat scarf, I still use my faded and tattered one here, as I do with my 'rubber lady', the 'Uniroyal' air mattress (when it permits, usually use my swag, as it protects one from the creepy crawlie things, and there is lots of them here).

As much as there is lots of negativity about the 1982 Ptrn ruck, it beats the Aussie issued backbreaker we have. I still ue my ruck, although faded beyond a joke, repaired here and ther, including welds to the wire crap frame.

See the pic of my swag, zipped in tight at night, no snakes, no ants, spiders, scorpions, centipeds, disease carrying mosquitos, etc. everyone has got one of these.

Cheers,

Wes
"You've never lived until you've almost died; as for our freedom, for those of us who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know." - Anonymous

Offline Yrys

• α-γνωστικισμός
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • You can deprive the body but the soul needs choco!
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 19:15:54 »
Well, maybe I should look into army surplus next time I want to replace my camping tent
or any camping stuff...

(Title of the thread made me smile, after the passion show in the opposite one)
Louvre website

"Happiness is beneficial for the body, but it is grief that develops the powers of the mind."  Marcel Proust

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2008, 22:48:04 »
I would have to agree about the combat scarf, I still use my faded and tattered one here, as I do with my 'rubber lady', the 'Uniroyal' air mattress (when it permits, usually use my swag, as it protects one from the creepy crawlie things, and there is lots of them here).

As much as there is lots of negativity about the 1982 Ptrn ruck, it beats the Aussie issued backbreaker we have. I still ue my ruck, although faded beyond a joke, repaired here and ther, including welds to the wire crap frame.

See the pic of my swag, zipped in tight at night, no snakes, no ants, spiders, scorpions, centipeds, disease carrying mosquitos, etc. everyone has got one of these.

Cheers,

Wes

How does it hold up during a good downpour?

Offline Carcharodon Carcharias

• Drawing the crabs from Downunder :) WTF is TWL?
  • Banned
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2008, 23:02:50 »
Its water proofed canvas, so it can handle a shower, but on a wet night we have tarps up in an area which will fit several of us, If its a monsoon, no luck, sleep in the cab or the pod, back of a LAV,as there is usually 4-6 inches sitting on the ground - everywhere.

Cheers,

Wes
"You've never lived until you've almost died; as for our freedom, for those of us who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know." - Anonymous

Offline X-mo-1979

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2008, 23:34:31 »
25mm...
Um that reminds me of another peice of kit which I think is the best thing ever issued.

Leopard 2A6.

25mm that.... ;D