Author Topic: 24 Hour Watches  (Read 4767 times)

Offline adaminc

• Rate Post
24 Hour Watches
« on: September 02, 2008, 22:49:00 »
I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in Radio Chatter, but it is a tool of sorts. Anyways.

I was looking for a new watch and I found this website selling analog watches with a 24 hour face. When I first looked at them, I was thinking "So what, big deal" til it clicked in that they in fact have 24 numbers on the face. I thought it was kinda cool, I might buy one to see how well they work, see if they can keep decent time. Kinda gimmicky, but still cool because they are quite unique, I have never seen a 24 hour analog watch before. I'm sure some of you probably have though.

Anyways, here is the link.

http://www.aaawatchclub.com/24_hour_dial.html

I have also found this company http://www.glycine-watch.ch, but from my research their watches seem to be very, very, very expensive.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Re: 24 Hour Watches
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 23:18:06 »
Interesting designs, indeed.

Love to hear from aviators on this:  how much use (realistically) do you see for a watch that has both your time, the destination time and the departure point time?

“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -6495.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 00:08:00 »
My brother collects and repairs pocketwatches. He has some old Russian ones (not the cheap new garbage) about 100 years old. They have a 24 hr face for working in the land of the midnight sun (really easy to lose track of day and night up there).
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

aesop081

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 00:10:17 »

Love to hear from aviators on this:  how much use (realistically) do you see for a watch that has both your time, the destination time and the departure point time?

Speaking strictly for myself : None.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 00:23:24 »
Me neither. It's the same time in both locations 99.999% of the time.

I don't like the cluttered look either.

I prefer a simple, inexpensive but accurate digital with 24 hour capability, and it must fit the spring steel watchband that I've been using for about twenty years.

aesop081

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 00:32:56 »
My $17.99 walmart watch displays in 24 hour format. Thats all i need, even though i go through several timezones from takeoff to landing. I work in ZULU inside the aircraft and i have that time displayed right in front of my face. On the ground i adjust my watch to local time, i can do the rest of the math in my head when i need to know the time at home for calls and such.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 00:38:04 »
Why not just use a digital watch that has an option to display time in the 24hr mode?
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 00:54:54 »
Mine's a rather beaten-up Casio. It's lasted longer than any of its predecessors, which are usually killed off one way or another. I can't remember where I bought it, but it was a buck or two on either side of twenty.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 05:22:24 »
My first posting was Inuvik, and since then I've always used 24 hour time. I find my cheap digital Timex more than sufficient for the job. The only time I wear a conventional watch is when I'm in dress uniform or a suit.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Carcharodon Carcharias

• Drawing the crabs from Downunder :) WTF is TWL?
  • Banned
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 05:53:22 »
Hey smiling happy people,

The watch I wear daily is a 24hr dial Traser P6500. Google that for more info. They are expensive, but traditional, and look rather nice.

I wore this in Iraq.

Regards,

OWDU
"You've never lived until you've almost died; as for our freedom, for those of us who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know." - Anonymous

Offline Guy Incognito

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 16:37:51 »
My old Timex Expedition does the job quite nicely. It has 2 timezones, I have primary as local and secondary as UTC, and both display in 24Hr mode. Aside from that, it's survived a few beatings and is still ticking (as their slogan indicated). I think I got it for about $30 a few years ago.