Author Topic: Meals at BMQ  (Read 26049 times)

Offline Mosher

• Rate Post
Meals at BMQ
« on: February 23, 2009, 20:26:53 »
Was wondering what foods are served at each meal and portions during the bmq reg force?

May be a weird question,but I train mma and eat 100 percent organic and consume the proper amount of vitamins, efas, proteins, carbs and so on. And am wondering what the meals are like.

I would like to estimate grams of protein, vitamins, and carbs in each meal based on the information that i will hopefully receive from this question. Thank you for your time.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: Meals served at bmq?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 20:29:08 »
What is a "mma"?

I take it efas are some sort of suppliment?
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 20:30:38 »
I would like to estimate grams of protein, vitamins, and carbs in each meal based on the information that i will hopefully receive from this question. Thank you for your time.

Do you really expect anyone to describe every possible meal for you in enough detail for that?

There's lots of food, a variety of choices at each meal.

Offline Mosher

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 20:32:35 »
MMA is mixed martial arts or better known as UFC.

And efas are your healthy fats including omega 3, 6, 7, 9 and mono/polyunsaturates. which are found in oils, nuts, fish, eggs and so on.

Offline Mosher

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 20:34:24 »
Even an idea of some meals, i dont need to know every meal. Health and nutrition is very important to me. Also, are you allowed to bring a multi vitamin??

aesop081

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 20:36:19 »
Jesus is crying again.......

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 20:38:14 »
As Michael said, there is a large variety of foods, salads and side trays with yogurts, etc.  The CF Mess Halls are starting to get away from unhealthy foods, but still not to the standard that some would think.  You will have several choices at each meal, and during lunch there is usually Sandwich Bars set up in most Messes.

If for some health or Religious reason a person requires a special dietary meal plan, then they can be accommodated.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 20:38:27 »
Mosher,
Even if I went and started to list things that are served in our cafeteria.... it's all cafeteria food in the end.  Furthermore, once you go out into the field, you eat Haybox food (prepared & stored in thermos boxes)... or you eat individual meal packets....

The CF does consult with nutritionists when developing ration packs & menus.
It's good hearty food.... though nothing I'd call gourmet eating
Chimo!

Offline BulletMagnet

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm not just disobedient, I'm careful
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 20:39:02 »
There is no hope in heck of you getting 100% organic from a mass food production facility such as a CF mess hall. And no you can not bring your own food or after getting there have your own food as it is not allowed on your living floors.

In any meal line there is a meat, a starch/pasta and a veggi all vary by day.  The portions are based on the Canadian food guidelines. There is always a salad bar as well.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 20:42:46 by BulletMagnet »
"Often have I regretted my speech, never my silence" Cpl Jordan Anderson 1981-2007 RIP

When the going gets tough I take a nap...It's easier that way

Offline Mosher

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 20:44:52 »
Thank you very much.

I definately know theres no chance in hell of any organic food. And was under the impression they give you a meal and thats what youve got, no choices. I really am just conserned about vitamin deficancy and low protein.

Your answers have given me a better understanding of meal time and am not concerned anymore. Thank you, i appreciate it. As long as i get meat and veggies im good. 

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 20:46:16 »
It is almost 'universal' that Thursday is "Steak Night".    ;D

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 20:46:23 »
... might be the occasional "mystery meat" but.... it IS edible - sort of :P
Chimo!

Offline Carcharodon Carcharias

• Drawing the crabs from Downunder :) WTF is TWL?
  • Banned
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 21:48:28 »
I really am just conserned about vitamin deficancy and low protein.

What!

Crikey, I nearly coughed up my lamington!

From a Mess, you'll be eating a wider balanced variety, more so than you mom cooks.

There will be more concern to other realistic things other than the food you shovel into your damper hole.

OWDU
"You've never lived until you've almost died; as for our freedom, for those of us who have fought for it, life has a flavour the protected will never know." - Anonymous

Offline Yrys

• α-γνωστικισμός
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • You can deprive the body but the soul needs choco!
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 21:56:29 »
If it's the chocolate one, with cream ,
send me some, please :)!
Louvre website

"Happiness is beneficial for the body, but it is grief that develops the powers of the mind."  Marcel Proust

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 22:25:21 »
Thank you very much.

I definately know theres no chance in hell of any organic food. And was under the impression they give you a meal and thats what youve got, no choices. I really am just conserned about vitamin deficancy and low protein.

Your answers have given me a better understanding of meal time and am not concerned anymore. Thank you, i appreciate it. As long as i get meat and veggies im good.

For a normal supper... from the steam line alone, there's usually a choice of 2-3 entrees (IE a dish containing some sort of meat, plus usually a vegeterian entree), 2 types of veg, 2 types of starch. Then there's the salad bar, which will contain a wide assortment of salads, raw veggies, plus tons of fruit (Both prepared, ie a mixed fruit salad, and "as is" ie apples, oranges, banannas), and usually left overs from a few days before served cold. Then there's also a wide selection of hot and cold beverages, deserts.

For lunch, most messes also add a sandwhich bar.

Usually the entrees rotate on a 2-3 week schedule.

Oh, and you'll also get the opportunity to try some regional foods you'll have never otherwise heard of (Donairs always seem to blow the mind of folks from out west, vs perogies blowing the mind of those from out east. Tourtiere? Well, try it, but I recommend a heavy dousing of ketchup :))

As a reservist, and a poor starving student, I can't even come close to afford to eating as well at home as I do at the mess. Anyone who complains about mess food is too lazy to walk the five feet to the salad bar and fill up their plate. I can't really imagine the sort of crap they must eat on their own time.
Remember troops, the minimum acceptable standard is still an acceptable standard.

Offline HollywoodHitman

• "We're surrounded......Thats simplifies the problem" - Chesty Puller, USMC
  • Rate Post
  • Don't mistake aging for maturing
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 22:30:14 »
Each meal served in one of our messes should contain a little toothpick stuck in the meat serving of the day that says "may or may not contain meat and or meat byproducts."

In a nutshell mosher, you'll find that whatever calories you can consume during your training will be welcome ones...The beers on weekends won't even be empty calories as it'll help you bond with your new brothers and sisters. I still maintain beer/alcohol is a foodgroup when you're away from home! There's not alot of room for snacking in the timetable, and the DS usually frown on removing food from the mess....You'll still be strong when you leave BMQ if not leaner, if you do it right. The food is part of the 'overall experience" !

Good luck.
"There is no charge for awesomeness....Or Attractiveness."
                  -Kung Fu Panda

Offline Lil_T

• Make the DRMIS go away....
  • Rate Post
  • Non-compliance will be met with brute force.
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 22:41:48 »

Oh, and you'll also get the opportunity to try some regional foods you'll have never otherwise heard of (Donairs always seem to blow the mind of folks from out west, vs perogies blowing the mind of those from out east. Tourtiere? Well, try it, but I recommend a heavy dousing of ketchup :))

Three of my favorites!!!!!  If there's shepherd's pie I want to go NOW!!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Offline HollywoodHitman

• "We're surrounded......Thats simplifies the problem" - Chesty Puller, USMC
  • Rate Post
  • Don't mistake aging for maturing
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 22:56:04 »
What I also should have said is that our mess food, while sometimes lacking a little is much better than some if not many or most of our allies....
"There is no charge for awesomeness....Or Attractiveness."
                  -Kung Fu Panda

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 07:29:58 »
Yeah... try eating in a Brit mess tent for a while.... :P
American mess tent ... why does everything appear to be fried :P
Chimo!

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 07:34:15 »

The American mess in KAF made me feel like I was at a kid's school.  Sugar Pops, Frosted Flakes, Froot Loops.....I said "Where are all the grown-up cereals?"  Not long after we arrived, you were able to get regular Corn Flakes, Special K, etc.  Mind you, some of those guys were doing PT 2-3 times a day, so I guess they could afford to eat all the high fat and sugar content.

As far as BMQ goes, you'll be glad of the food, if you get enough time to eat it.  ;)
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Lil_T

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 07:45:52 »
Yeah... try eating in a Brit mess tent for a while.... :P

because it is.

Offline ltmaverick25

• The keyboard is mightier then the sword!
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 07:48:10 »
Three of my favorites!!!!!  If there's shepherd's pie I want to go NOW!!

Sheaperds pie is definitly in the menu and its pretty damn good too.

You guys are all making me hungry!!!!!!

I am an extremely picky eater, and with that said, I have always been a fan of the food provided by the CF mess system.  I never ever come close to eating so well at home.

The only thing I dont like about the CF food system is box lunches and hay boxes/IMPs.  But that usually has more to do with the surroundings then anything else  ;D

Offline Lil_T

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 07:51:41 »
Sheaperds pie is definitly in the menu and its pretty damn good too.

You guys are all making me hungry!!!!!!

I am an extremely picky eater, and with that said, I have always been a fan of the food provided by the CF mess system.  I never ever come close to eating so well at home.

The only thing I dont like about the CF food system is box lunches and hay boxes/IMPs.  But that usually has more to do with the surroundings then anything else  ;D

I freaking LOVE box lunches too.  I'm a nut I know - but it reminds me of my cadet days - and some of the IMPs aren't so bad either - I just don't enjoy that bread at all....

Offline ltmaverick25

• The keyboard is mightier then the sword!
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 08:10:31 »
I freaking LOVE box lunches too.  I'm a nut I know - but it reminds me of my cadet days - and some of the IMPs aren't so bad either - I just don't enjoy that bread at all....

IMPs are too damn small.  I am not fun sized, im man sized and IMPs just aggrevate me!  I need about for of the damn things per meal which of course never happens.

Offline Lil_T

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 08:38:03 »
IMPs are too damn small.  I am not fun sized, im man sized and IMPs just aggrevate me!  I need about for of the damn things per meal which of course never happens.

LOL!!!  I'll save you all my IMP bread - how about that?  (I mean - it does have a pretty long shelf life)  :salute: