Author Topic: Head Shaving/BMQ (merged)  (Read 36617 times)

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Head Shaving/BMQ (merged)
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2012, 23:11:54 »
They should go back to the old system of whatever is under your beret you can keep.
Ah....clearly a crusty old vet with many decades of experience.    ::)
There’s nothing more maddening than debating someone who doesn’t know history, doesn’t read books, and frames their myopia as virtue. The level of unapologetic conjecture I’ve encountered lately isn’t just frustrating, it’s retrogressive, unprecedented, and absolutely terrifying.
~Chris Evans

Offline stealthylizard

Conditional acceptance for B.Comm (ACC).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2012, 00:17:12 »
When was that old system in place?  I must have missed it during my first time around in 96.

Offline Tank Troll

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2012, 06:42:34 »
When was that old system in place?  I must have missed it during my first time around in 96.

The 80s early 90s. But that was only after you got done basic and trades training, and you had to keep you beret on all the time so it wasn't as great as it might seem.
I know the voices in my head are not real...............but Damn they have some good ideas

Offline GhostofJacK

• Back from the dead
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2012, 13:17:12 »
When I was there in 2009 it had to be at least down to a #2, but you were allowed to go with #1. You weren't allowed to go to zero for some reason. Our Sgt said it was a safety thing because they were zipping so many people in and out all the time as fast as possible and with weird heads and weird deformities that people have and stuff they didn't want to accidentally cut off a person's third nipple or something :rofl:

0s have a possibility of causing ingrown hairs and should that happen, the member would have to goto sick parade if it gets infected and miss out on training time. This, in turn, may cause them to fail.

IMHO, just get a 2 all around (maybe even a 1) and live with it. You are there for (hopefully only) 2 months and you shouldn't be looking to impress the Montreal women with your James Dean hair. Do the job, move on. Worry about pushing the enevlope and worry about hair regulations once you are trade-qualified. If you do get it cut ahead of time, do not watch 'Full Metal Jacket' and get a 'high'n'tight' before going to basic. When I was there, they'll make you bring it to have less contract between ahir and no hair.
Waking the dead with the sounds of the wardrums.

It's your choice whether or not you are the player or the pawn in the game of life. Either way, someone else will usually decide the next move you make.

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2012, 16:44:55 »
....Our Sgt said it was a safety thing because they were zipping so many people in and out all the time as fast as possible and with weird heads and weird deformities that people have and stuff they didn't want to accidentally cut off a person's third nipple or something :rofl:

You know I REALLY don't want to know what body parts you guys were shaving.  :o
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.

Offline BernDawg

• Wood Butcher
  • Rate Post
  • Retired... workin' harder than ever!
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2012, 17:59:35 »
They should go back to the old system of whatever is under your beret you can keep.
I joined in 85 and back then we had guys in the Bn that would go to the barber and leave their berets on while they were in the chair...... :warstory:
"We can't all be heroes... because someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by."  Will Rogers
Someone has to be last.  At least if it's me I know where all the assholes are.

Offline Tank Troll

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2012, 21:42:09 »
I remember coming out of Bosnia in 94 and having to wear my ball cap because my beret didn't fit. ;D
I know the voices in my head are not real...............but Damn they have some good ideas

Offline Primus

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2017, 14:32:15 »
I looked around for this answer and in the CF grooming guidelines, it says you can maintain a shaved head but is that allowed in BMQ?
My hair is bald at top. So, I'm not trying to be "hardcore" or anything along those line.
 I shave my head regularity with an electric shaver. (Not a hair trimmer). It takes about 2-3 mins in the evening.
That way, it's just stubble for the whole next day. Not right to the skin. I don't ever shave my head with shaving cream and a razor.

I asked this question elsewhere and I've been getting different answers:
"You can't shave your head due to excess sweat infecting follicles"
"A sunburn you can be charged for self mutilation"
"If you arrive with a shaved head, you can maintain it"
"If you shave your head,  you can't shave it and you're only allowed a #1 as the lowest length during the indoctrination period.
After that's over, you can shave your own head off of the base premises"

I’ve been reading different things and it's really confusing.
I just want to be sure that you’re allowed to shave your head.
Thank you for your time to whoever reads this.