Author Topic: Preparing Mentally  (Read 2649 times)

Offline KingCharles55

• Rate Post
Preparing Mentally
« on: July 09, 2018, 15:13:56 »
I appreciate any help and advice I can receive, I am not even sure this is the correct section to post this in but I will try my luck regardless.

I have noticed there are fantastic resources here and a great support community when it come to discussing the physical standards required to survive and thrive Basic Training and beyond. However, and maybe I am missing it somewhere in the pile, but there are not many pieces of advice or posts in general regarding emotional and mental preparation.

I understand and am continuing to improve my physical conditions daily, however I would love to hear from those who have either gone through the entire training process or perhaps even current active service members for any tips, "tricks", advice, or any type of guidance as to preparing mentally for the rigors and stress of the early military career.

First time poster, long time lurker. Thanks for all the help!

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Preparing Mentally
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 15:25:03 »
I would love to hear from those who have either gone through the entire training process or perhaps even current active service members for any tips, "tricks", advice, or any type of guidance as to preparing mentally for the rigors and stress of the early military career.

Some here for Basic Training,

Basic Training - Mentally Demanding?
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=112315.0

First time poster, long time lurker.

Welcome to the site, and good luck with your military career.  :)

Offline lohocard

• Rate Post
  • Figuring everything out
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 15:26:37 »
I appreciate any help and advice I can receive, I am not even sure this is the correct section to post this in but I will try my luck regardless.

I have noticed there are fantastic resources here and a great support community when it come to discussing the physical standards required to survive and thrive Basic Training and beyond. However, and maybe I am missing it somewhere in the pile, but there are not many pieces of advice or posts in general regarding emotional and mental preparation.

I understand and am continuing to improve my physical conditions daily, however I would love to hear from those who have either gone through the entire training process or perhaps even current active service members for any tips, "tricks", advice, or any type of guidance as to preparing mentally for the rigors and stress of the early military career.

First time poster, long time lurker. Thanks for all the help!
The best thing you can start with right now is not getting offended by anything/anyone. Nowadays, it’s very easy to offend somebody based on their personality, looks, hobbies, etc. It’s just the world we live in now. The instructors will pick on you, and other recruits might as well. The biggest thing is don’t take anything personally and don’t get upset. Become immune to threats, bullying, etc. They don’t mean anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KingCharles55

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 15:48:52 »
The best thing you can start with right now is not getting offended by anything/anyone. Nowadays, it is very easy to offend somebody based on their personality, looks, hobbies, etc. it is just the world we live in now. The instructors will pick on you, and other recruits might as well. The biggest thing is don’t take anything personally and don’t get upset. Become immune to threats, bullying, etc. They don’t mean anything.

I had heard this same advice by those close to me who encouraged me to investigate the military as a career possibility. The phrase "Embrace The crap" (pardon my language) was used frequently and its the de facto motto I have been using this far, I am glad to see it mostly holds true!

The whole purpose of training is to take an overweight civilian like me and make him into a prepared and useful military member, makes no sense to take any of it personally if the entire purpose is to make you better than you are long term.

Offline Volidyr

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 20:47:58 »
Similar to the previous poster's saying of "embrace the crap", former UFC fighter Chael P. Sonnen also had a great saying of "trying to find comfort in discomfort" or "getting comfortable with discomfort". I often used this when I ran in preparation for BMOQ (and still continue to do so) in order to break down the mental wall of running further/longer. It has helped me gain a lot of mental resiliency in times when I wanted to stop running due to fatigue. Perhaps you can use this saying when you are feeling pressure during your career. I hope this helps. Best of luck in increasing your mental fortitude.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 20:50:34 by Volidyr »

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 21:00:14 »
I'm a strong believer in the 'big four' for stress control. Positive self talk, reasonable goal setting, visualization of challenges before you encounter them, and controlling your excitement through breathing. Now, fair disclosure, I instruct that stuff through the Road to MEntal Readiness training, but I have found that in varying degrees some or all of these techniques work for just about everyone.

Set goals. They can be as general as 'make it through BMQ, or as narrow as 'make it through this ruck march' or 'make it to lunch'.

Tell yourself you can achieve what you're setting out to achieve. You can be your own most crippling critic, and your own best cheerleader. Whichever you feed - positivity or negaitivity - it will grow.

Practice tasks and challenges mentally. Visualize yourself achieving the next thing you need to pull off. You can't practice everything in real life, but you can to an extent innoculate yourself to stress by consciously thinking your way through something ahead of time.

Learn 'combat breathing' or 'square breathing' or 'tactical breathing' or however someone wants to label it. A lot of our toughest times are because our fight or slight - our sympathetic nervous system - starts running away with our physiology and our psychology. The only real conscious/unconscious overlap we have in these systems is respiration. Learn to breath to bring your own heart rate and excitement down and to give yourself those extra fractions of seconds to think under stress because your higher order thinking isn't as shot.

There's lots of material out there about this stuff. I recommend it.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 13:07:35 »
Realize BMQ is a game and you'll be fine. Don't take everything personally. I'll always remember my first inspection...the guy in the cubicle to the right of me was crying by the time the 2IC was done with him whereas I had a hard time not smiling/laughing.

Once you realize it's a game you're fine. Pay attention to what the instructors tell you but also realize when it comes to inspections that they will beast you no matter if it is perfect or not. Once you prove yourselves and get into the later weeks of the course inspections will be more casual, but expect to always be doing pushups every time for inspections.
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Offline MgRCAF

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 08:14:09 »
Some here for Basic Training,

Basic Training - Mentally Demanding?
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=112315.0

Welcome to the site, and good luck with your military career.  :)

My enrolment is on September 6 2018 am I going to st jean on the same day?
Thanks

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 09:17:44 »
My enrolment is on September 6 2018 am I going to st jean on the same day?

This shows the time it took others between Enrollment date and BMQ start date,

Application Process Samples 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=13064.6200
256 pages.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 09:29:11 by mariomike »