Author Topic: Whither the Royal Canadian Legion? Or RCL Withers?  (Read 262842 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
Re: Whither the Royal Canadian Legion? Or RCL Withers?
« Reply #625 on: August 02, 2018, 00:12:42 »
My wife won't let me get a Veterans' plate... she says that my driving is too good :)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #626 on: November 09, 2018, 16:50:42 »
Across the country, Royal Canadian Legion branches are facing the realities that come with aging member demographics.

About half of the legion’s 270,000 members are aged 65 or over — a statistic that’s taking a toll on everything from filling poppy campaign shifts to paying the monthly rent.

Ronn Anderson, president of the Manitoba and Northwest Ontario command, said it’s an issue affecting city and rural branches alike, with closures in small towns and big cities like Winnipeg.

“We are having a problem within the Royal Canadian Legion with our aging population,” Anderson said.

https://ottawacitizen.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/aging-dwindling-legions-look-to-halt-long-decline-we-are-changing/wcm/1f035151-c634-48be-8846-3c4f478f735b
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #627 on: November 10, 2018, 08:18:59 »
Across the country, Royal Canadian Legion branches are facing the realities that come with aging member demographics.
Ahh, so it's an aging problem;  here I thought it was Legion people treating military members and veterans as a burden, as they focused on playing dress-up with their make-believe medals, et al.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #628 on: November 10, 2018, 10:29:55 »
Another branch closes its doors:

End of Royal Canadian Legion in Ste. Anne, Man.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #629 on: November 13, 2018, 11:53:19 »
The 2 legions were all dead in North Van by 8:00pm, along with the Army, Navy, Air Force club, the Federation of Eagles who manged to turn around their membership had a rocking band the and place was packed.

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #630 on: November 13, 2018, 16:46:18 »
The 2 legions were all dead in North Van by 8:00pm, along with the Army, Navy, Air Force club, the Federation of Eagles who manged to turn around their membership had a rocking band the and place was packed.

Never heard of the Federation of Eagles before so I had to look it up on Wikipedia.
Years ago, fairy tales all began with, "Once upon a time." Now we know they all began with, "If I'm elected."

Carolyn Warner

Offline Larry Strong

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • 546 days from 0 to being King of the Castle
« Reply #631 on: November 13, 2018, 19:52:43 »
Red Deer, Ab. doesn't have a branch anymore.....

Cheers
Larry
Proud sponsor of the Maple Leaf Legacy Project. http://www.mapleleaflegacy.ca

Offline stoker dave

• Rate Post
« Reply #632 on: November 14, 2018, 07:49:08 »
I am not and have never been a member of the legion.  I have no opinions on them but I would like to share my recent experience.

It was coming up to the 25th anniversary of OP FRICTION (Gulf War I) and I was curious if any events were planned.  I was deployed on this, so it is of interest to me.  I Googled something like "25 year anniversary gulf war Canada".  I found nothing official but I did find a directive from someone at Legion Headquarters saying that one way to attract new members would be to organize events around the 25th anniversary of Gulf War I. 

I emailed several of the local legion groups, introduced myself, referenced the directive and asked if they had anything planned.  I offered to participate or help organize something. 

Of the four or five emails I sent, I only received one reply.  So that is odd.

Of the one reply I got, it was "let me look into this; I will get back to you".  The individual never got back to me. So that is odd, too.

So overall my  experience was bit off-putting.  Again, I still have nothing really for (or against) the legion, but I thought this anecdote worth sharing. 

Offline X Royal

• Rate Post
« Reply #633 on: November 15, 2018, 15:26:34 »
And it seems odd to me that they can have more than RCL Branch with the same number.
As for Branch 8 I've identified 4 so far? ::)

Offline BillN

• Rate Post
« Reply #634 on: November 15, 2018, 16:56:17 »
XRoyal.....

I believe I read that the branches are numbered by province, not nationally.

Cheers,
Bill

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #635 on: November 15, 2018, 18:08:47 »
And it seems odd to me that they can have more than RCL Branch with the same number.
As for Branch 8 I've identified 4 so far?

You're right. I did not know that, but just looked online. Odd, but, yes, maybe 'tis provincial.

The real Branch 8 is the Stratford Ontario one. They've just moved into a brand-new building - smaller than many would have liked - but the much larger old one was deteriorating and would have cost more to repair than was worth it.

The Branch is quite healthy, in large part due to CWO Art Boone, who fought across France and Holland via the Scheldt Estuary campaign, and turned 94 on 12 November.

There's a funeral home across the narrow parking lot, owned by the bass drummer from the Stratford Police (and formerly T Coy 4 RCR) Pipes and Drums, who may also be a Legion member - possibly a good business move.