• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recent content by MacNav63

  1. M

    The RCAF's Next Generation Fighter (CF-188 Replacement)

    As I've implied in a couple of other threads, the Canada wordmark as it's called drives me nuts, especially when it's so clearly overkill. The planes already have Canadian flags on the tail and RCAF-ARC on the fuselage. Oh, let's tell everyone it's Canadian by slapping the word Canada with a...
  2. M

    Informing the Army’s Future Structure - CAMO Discussion

    Which raises the question in my mind as to why continue to call the CMBGs brigade groups at all if their artillery and CS units are being brigaded elsewhere and they are all part of a manoeuvre division.
  3. M

    Informing the Army’s Future Structure - CAMO Discussion

    I'll admit I'm one of those who thinks buttons and bows can matter but I've never understood putting anything on DEUs that had to be sewn on and later changed if someone was posted. It always seemed to me an overcorrection from unification approach of trying to kill identity. Formation patches...
  4. M

    Informing the Army’s Future Structure - CAMO Discussion

    Hardly surprising. Without knowing what I know from this forum, I would assume there was a new regular force "regiment" in the CA and that the three 3rd battalions would be rebadging.
  5. M

    Canada moves to 2% GDP end of FY25/26 - PMMC

    Ah, well I highly recommend it. As it happens they’re just wrapping up a 4-part series on Marius and Sulla, with the last episode being released this week, along with a couple of subscriber-only bonus episodes. It’s the only podcast to which I subscribe (which also gives me early access to the...
  6. M

    Canada moves to 2% GDP end of FY25/26 - PMMC

    Hmmm, someone been listening to the latest series of the Rest is History…? :sneaky:
  7. M

    Harry and Meghan step down as senior royals

    Yes, when he retired from active service he worked for a while for a regional air ambulance.
  8. M

    3 RCR transfers to the Light Infantry Regiment

    The Canada Wordmark enters the conversation...
  9. M

    High Speed Train Coming?-split from boosting Canada’s military spending"

    See my post above about letting opponents define the narrative and missing opportunities. Alto is going to go through my riding. It is a hot topic for many people in and around my community. My riding is held by a Liberal MP. Received her latest householder last week. Mention of Alto? Not a...
  10. M

    High Speed Train Coming?-split from boosting Canada’s military spending"

    To a degree Ottawa's problems are the result of political decisions that have created a city with an urban core surrounded by a greenbelt outside of which sit a collection of suburbs surrounded by a fairly vast rural hinterland, itself peppered with villages (aka bedroom communities) like mine...
  11. M

    Old Accoutrements

    I seem to recall as well on the air force side, the base commander at Baden was still wearing his RCAF wings, which became an issue. Seems like people were maybe trying to test the limits of what they could get away with, especially with Hellyer out of the picture (that's Donald MacDonald in the...
  12. M

    Old Accoutrements

    I was a kid but was pretty interested in this kind of stuff. We were in Germany '71-'74 and by that time 3 Mech Cdo was wearing maroon berets. By the time we came home I'm pretty sure the Vandoos were wearing their old pattern shoulder flashes. My impression of my Dad's perspective was that, at...
  13. M

    High Speed Train Coming?-split from boosting Canada’s military spending"

    Which is why I get frustrated when I see things like Ottawa's LRT. Here's a system where there was basically an opportunity to design it from scratch, within perhaps the confines of using pre-existing corridors and the fact that the existing short OTrain was already using one technology. So...
  14. M

    High Speed Train Coming?-split from boosting Canada’s military spending"

    I flew to Menorca last February with a stop over in London. Tube from Heathrow to South Kensington. Tube the next day to Victoria and then Gatwick Express to Gatwick for the flight to Menorca. Seamless.
  15. M

    High Speed Train Coming?-split from boosting Canada’s military spending"

    Oh the attitude is definitely out there, just saying I don't agree with it and it isn't motivating my questions.
Back
Top