• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAF LTD

Ignatius

Reaction score
If you are not receiving CAF LTD and just got approved for IRB, can you apply for CAF LTD? Just curious as a coworker of mine just got approved for IRB and his Decision Letter stated in one part..."If you are not currently on CAF LTD, or wish to apply for CAF LTD......"

LTD has a deadline of 120 days after release. So if the member is within that time frame they can apply for it.

I just got pre approved for CAF LTD as I go out he door and am now being contacted about VRP. I am not sure what I want to do…can I politely tell them to go away? I already have a degree in my field and extensive experience. Probably the only thing I could do is finish my master’s degree, but I am not sure I can physically do it.

Do you mean the VRPSM (vocational rehabilitation program for serving members)?

I see what you mean, I thought you meant before you were out the door. You don't have to take part in the VRP if you don't want to.

I just got pre approved for CAF LTD as I go out he door and am now being contacted about VRP. I am not sure what I want to do…can I politely tell them to go away? I already have a degree in my field and extensive experience. Probably the only thing I could do is finish my master’s degree, but I am not sure I can physically do it.
Yes, you can tell them you are not interested in further schooling as they can't actually make you go to school. Also tell them you already have a degree. They will most likely start pushing employment options at you or have you decide what you want to do.

If your needing time to focus on healing yourself let them know that too and they will assist if they can in that way.

Thanks all…not really sure what I want to do. I am in my mid 50’s and have been workin for 40 years, 24 in military. I haven’t worked full time in nearly 2 years, and I am really not interested in learning coding lol.

Thanks all…not really sure what I want to do. I am in my mid 50’s and have been workin for 40 years, 24 in military. I haven’t worked full time in nearly 2 years, and I am really not interested in learning coding lol.
I'm going to guess when they said you're pre-approved for CAF LTD they meant the salary. The VRP comes with a few caveats. They'll look at your injuries and won't pay for any schooling for something that doesn't make sense with your injuries e.g they won't pay for a course driving heavy machinery if your back is busted up. They won't pay for anything that they consider a hobby, it needs to be something suitable for a second career. I don't recall the rules on something like getting a masters, maybe if it's plausible to land a second career with it but I'm not sure.

24 years in the military can be a lot of conditioning to undo. Enjoy taking it easy for a while.

Last edited:
SISIP LTD, public paid long term disability insurance for CAF members. Reg F and Class C members also contribute.

So you apply for that at SISIP not at VAC?
What benefits are you looking for?

The 2 years salary and schooling benefit through CAF LTD is only good for 2 years after your date of release. If you've been deemed totally disabled you can potentially be covered salary wise until you're 65. There's similar benefits available through VAC so sometimes it helps to call both of their help lines to make sure you're going to the right place for the right benefits.

FYI

DISCLAIMER

CANFORGEN content in the CAF Mobile App may not reflect the most up to date info. Some links may refer to internal documents only available through DWAN. This information is provided for the convenience of the user. For the authoritative source of CANFORGEN information please visit the Intranet via DWAN

----------------------------------------

CANFORGEN 034/24 CMP 015/24 181431Z MAR 24

CHANGES TO CAF LTD PLAN - IMPACT ON BENEFITS AND SERVICES FOR MEDICALLY RELEASING MEMBERS EFFECTIVE 1 APR 2024

UNCLASSIFIED

REF: A. CANFORGEN 203/18 [/canforgens-detail/203-18_e] CMP 101/18 041641Z DEC 18

AS PART OF THE 2019 PENSION FOR LIFE (PFL) LEGISLATION, CHANGES TO VETERANS AFFAIRS CANADA (VAC) BENEFITS AND SERVICES WERE INTRODUCED STARTING 1 APR 2019. CAF MEMBER APPLICABLE PORTIONS WERE SUMMARIZED AT REF

THE PURPOSE OF THIS CANFORGEN IS TO INFORM AND UPDATE CAF MEMBERS THAT EFFECTIVE 1 APR 2024 FURTHER PLANNED CHANGES WILL NOW BE IMPLEMENTED. THESE CHANGES MAY IMPACT THE BENEFITS AND SERVICE DELIVERY TO CAF MEMBERS RELEASING FOR MEDICAL REASONS WHERE THE HEALTH PROBLEM DOES NOT RESULT PRIMARILY FROM SERVICE. FOR THIS REASON, IT IS IMPORTANT THAT ALL AFFECTED CAF MEMBERS UNDERSTAND THE UPCOMING CHANGES

AS ANNOUNCED AT REF, ALL MEDICALLY RELEASED VETERANS WHO APPLIED AND WERE APPROVED FOR VAC S REHABILITATION SERVICES AND VOCATIONAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (RSVP) FOR HEALTH PROBLEMS NOT RESULTING PRIMARILY FROM SERVICE IN THE CAF BETWEEN 1 APR 2019 AND 31 MAR 2024, WERE PROVIDED MEDICAL AND PSYCHOSOCIAL REHABILITATION SERVICES FOR THESE HEALTH PROBLEMS FROM VAC

EFFECTIVE 01 APR 2024, ONLY MEMBERS WHO APPLY FOR RSVP WITH HEALTH PROBLEMS RESULTING PRIMARILY FROM SERVICE MAY BE ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE MEDICAL AND PSYCHOSOCIAL REHABILITATION SERVICES FROM VAC. MEMBERS MEDICALLY RELEASED WITH HEALTH PROBLEMS NOT RESULTING PRIMARILY FROM SERVICE WILL NOW ONLY BE ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE MEDICAL, PSYCHOSOCIAL AND VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION SERVICES FROM THEIR CAF LTD PLAN. SISIP FINANCIAL IS THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THE PLAN AND MANULIFE IS THE INSURER. TOGETHER THEY DELIVER THE PROGRAM

ANY MEDICALLY RELEASED VETERAN WHO HAS BEEN APPROVED FOR RSVP PRIOR TO 01 APR 2024 FOR HEALTH PROBLEMS NOT RESULTING PRIMARILY FROM SERVICE AND IS CURRENTLY PARTICIPATING IN RSVP WILL CONTINUE TO RECEIVE SERVICES FROM VAC, EVEN IF THEIR REHABILITATION PLAN EXTENDS BEYOND 01 APRIL 2024. REHABILITATION SERVICES CAN BE PROVIDED UNTIL THEIR REHABILITATION PLAN IS EITHER COMPLETED OR CANCELLED

ANY VETERAN WHO EXPERIENCES A HEALTH PROBLEM RESULTING PRIMARILY FROM THEIR MILITARY SERVICE, WHICH CAUSES A BARRIER TO THEIR RE-ESTABLISHMENT IN CIVILIAN LIFE, CAN APPLY TO VAC S REHABILITATION SERVICES AND VOCATIONAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM AT ANY TIME. IF A VETERAN APPLIES FOR THE INCOME REPLACEMENT BENEFIT AT THE SAME TIME AS THE REHABILTIAITON PROGRAM, THEY MAY BE ELIGIBLE FOR THIS FINANCIAL BENEFIT TO HELP SUPPORT THEM WHILE THEY ACTIVELY PARTICIPATE IN THE REHABILITATION PROGRAM

IN SUMMARY, EFFECTIVE 01 APR 2024, CAF LTD WILL BECOME THE ONLY PROVIDER OF MEDICAL AND PSYCHOSOCIAL REHABILITATION SERVICES TO CAF MEMBERS MEDICALLY RELEASING FOR HEALTH PROBLEMS NOT RESULTING PRIMARILY FROM SERVICE. THE CAF LTD INSURER AND PROVIDERS WILL OFFER A SUITE OF MEDICAL AND PSYCHOSOCIAL SERVICES SIMILAR TO THOSE AVAILABLE THROUGH VAC

THE CAF HAS WORKED CLOSELY WITH VAC, SISIP, AND MANULIFE TO ENSURE A SEAMLESS TRANSITION. MEMBERS CAN CONTACT MANULIFE - CAF LTD AND CAF VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION PROGRAM (CAF VRP) SERVICES AT 1-800-565-0701 WITH ANY QUESTIONS

Back