• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

Yes, the party of checks notes bringing down inflation to practically zero after Covid is definitely encouraging people not to own anything.

On one hand, the LPC is lambasted for being too close to business and bailing them out. On the other hand, the LPC are red-star Communists.

Communists traditionally didn’t like private businesses…

The economy is tanking under Trudeau, communist or not....

Justin Trudeau Is Tanking Canada’s Economy​

You can only imagine — and recoil in horror at — the potential damage the Canadian prime minister’s economic illiteracy will unleash​

Trudeau’s reign has been the worst in the nation’s history since the Great Depression. While economists and market-watchers have spent the last year-plus arguing about whether the American economy will suffer as the result of rising interest rates or will somehow manage a soft landing, Trudeau’s economy — like his plane — isn’t going to land at all because it never got off the ground in the first place.

On September 1, Mikal Skuterud — an economics professor at the University of Waterloo and the director of the Canadian Labour Economics Forum — circulated a graph charting Canadian economic growth over the last five years. “Canada’s GDP per capita was higher in the second quarter of 2018 than it was in the second quarter of 2023,” Skuterud wrote. “Five years with no economic growth. Stunning. Absolutely stunning.”

Professor Skuterud’s initial observation actually undersells the stagnation in the Canadian economy. Over the last decade (from 2014-23), the Canadian economy has grown at a proverbial snail’s pace, with per capita GDP inching up only 0.8 percent a year. That’s Canada’s slowest growth over a ten-year period since the 1930s. If that sounds like shockingly paltry economic growth for one of the world’s largest and most developed economies, that’s because it is. Marked by increased regulation and stultifying growth in the size, scope and cost of government, Trudeau’s economic record has been wretched.

….nothwistanding the 100+ economists who were somehow paid to agree with Trudeau that the consumer carbon tax is a good thing…

Yes, the party of checks notes bringing down inflation to practically zero after Covid is definitely encouraging people not to own anything.

On one hand, the LPC is lambasted for being too close to business and bailing them out. On the other hand, the LPC are red-star Communists.

Please don't perpetuate fiscal ignorance. The BoC works to bring down inflation by raising interest rates. The GoC has been actively working against that by overspending and running large deficits.

Please don't perpetuate fiscal ignorance. The BoC works to bring down inflation by raising interest rates. The GoC has been actively working against that by overspending and running large deficits.
Apologies - I meant “interest rate to zero”, not inflation.

A 'Hail Mary' effort to take the edge off of the anti-Carbon Tax revolt... it probably won't work:

Federal government promising a 'renters' bill of rights' in upcoming budget​

Trudeau expected to make more pre-budget announcements in coming weeks​

A 'Hail Mary' effort to take the edge off of the anti-Carbon Tax revolt... it probably won't work:

Renters rights…checks notes…look! another foray into Provincial jurisdiction!

Please don't perpetuate fiscal ignorance. The BoC works to bring down inflation by raising interest rates. The GoC has been actively working against that by overspending and running large deficits….which are financed by huge issues of government bonds which increases M2, the total value of CAD in circulation, which devalues the dollars which directly raises inflation as a first order, last alone the secondary and tertiary impacts of the increased debt and associated servicing, which takes value away from the Government’s operational program and payments to individuals, etc…
😉

It’s almost as though the Government believes it’s putting the effort into the right areas… shakes head

Trudeau said the new measures are specifically geared toward younger people, who are renting more than previous generations.

"It's about changing the rules of the game in a way that meets young people where they are," he said on Wednesday.

Yeah, that’s where they are….unable to buy a home…

which are financed by huge issues of government bonds which increases M2

Not necessarily. Crudely, the money supply only increases when the BoC increases it to step in to buy bonds which are not purchased by ordinary institutions. (And if the BoC sells those financial instruments into the market, it can reduce the money supply.)

As for all the rest of the bad things - yes. And regardless what apologists try to claim about the "multiplier" of government spending (which might actually be < 1.0), it's much more likely that government spending is less effective than people spending their own money for the simple reason that the "velocity" of people spending their own money is greater.

The mere fact that we're borrowing merely to pay for past borrowing ought to alarm people more than it does.

Renters rights…checks notes…look! another foray into Provincial jurisdiction!
Putting more power in the hands of renters might help against a few abusive landlords, but it tends to decrease the supply of rentals among people who only have one or two, don't really need the money, and can't afford the risk of even one problem tenant, once.

If the authorities with jurisdiction had a clue, evicting delinquents and ejecting squatters (not sure that's a problem anywhere in Canada the same way it is in some US states) would be a simple procedure not exceeding 30 days from start to finish. Taking risks out of providing rental suites is an obvious way to increase the stock.

The economy is tanking under Trudeau, communist or not....

Justin Trudeau Is Tanking Canada’s Economy​

You can only imagine — and recoil in horror at — the potential damage the Canadian prime minister’s economic illiteracy will unleash​

Trudeau’s reign has been the worst in the nation’s history since the Great Depression. While economists and market-watchers have spent the last year-plus arguing about whether the American economy will suffer as the result of rising interest rates or will somehow manage a soft landing, Trudeau’s economy — like his plane — isn’t going to land at all because it never got off the ground in the first place.

On September 1, Mikal Skuterud — an economics professor at the University of Waterloo and the director of the Canadian Labour Economics Forum — circulated a graph charting Canadian economic growth over the last five years. “Canada’s GDP per capita was higher in the second quarter of 2018 than it was in the second quarter of 2023,” Skuterud wrote. “Five years with no economic growth. Stunning. Absolutely stunning.”

Professor Skuterud’s initial observation actually undersells the stagnation in the Canadian economy. Over the last decade (from 2014-23), the Canadian economy has grown at a proverbial snail’s pace, with per capita GDP inching up only 0.8 percent a year. That’s Canada’s slowest growth over a ten-year period since the 1930s. If that sounds like shockingly paltry economic growth for one of the world’s largest and most developed economies, that’s because it is. Marked by increased regulation and stultifying growth in the size, scope and cost of government, Trudeau’s economic record has been wretched.

This is what you get when you elect a government whos leader believes the budget will balance itself and one that doesn't really think about finances.

Canadians, myself included, need to look in the mirror and realize we did this ourselves.

I paid into EI all my working life and was never able to claim anything. How refreshing it would have been if it were actual insurance to cover unforeseen unfortunate events, and not a kitty to be raided for new social spending that should have been paid out of general revenues if the feds wanted to provide new social programs. Then at least my "premiums" might have been reduced when the embarrassingly large surpluses started to accumulate.
Don’t forget all the rules in place for it making it basically useless if you aren’t a seasonal worker. Make above a certain amount that year you claim? It gets clawed back. Literally just a wealth redistribution system.

Oh everyones laid off because of Covid? EI isn’t good enough, we need to create a new system. If EI is so useful why is it we needed to make a new system? Shouldn’t everyone who was laid off in Covid be covered?

We would all be better off if the money was put into a account tied to your name which you can draw upon during your career (and if it goes empty, your SOL), and if you don’t becomes another retirement account when you retire. At least then the majority of us would see benefit in it.

….nothwistanding the 100+ economists who were somehow paid to agree with Trudeau that the consumer carbon tax is a good thing…
I’m assuming you’re talking about these economists? This is the first I’ve heard of it.

I’m assuming you’re talking about these economists? This is the first I’ve heard of it.

Stephen A Smith Eye Roll GIF by ESPN

Pardon me while I roll my eyes at the experts. The last 4 years have shown us what kind of expertise we actually have.

I can tell you, and I'm not ashamed to say it, climate change is pretty low on my priority list; if it exists at all. And I can also tell you I pay way more in carbon tax than the meager amount I get back.

I will proudly and fiercely support axing the tax.

Last edited:

cf Corporatism - where Communism meets Authoritarianism

Esp Christian Corporatism

I paid into EI all my working life and was never able to claim anything. How refreshing it would have been if it were actual insurance to cover unforeseen unfortunate events, and not a kitty to be raided for new social spending that should have been paid out of general revenues if the feds wanted to provide new social programs. Then at least my "premiums" might have been reduced when the embarrassingly large surpluses started to accumulate.
Ici aussi.

Don’t forget all the rules in place for it making it basically useless if you aren’t a seasonal worker Martimer. Make above a certain amount that year you claim? It gets clawed back. Literally just a wealth redistribution system.

There, FTFY ;)

Back