• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

1/35 Leopard 2A6M Cdn in plastic

When still on Cougar they were called "Multi-barrelled Smoke Grenade Dischargers"

tango22a

tango22a said:
When still on Cougar they were called "Multi-barrelled Smoke Grenade Dischargers"

tango22a

I remember that as well. When I leaped from Cougars to the Leo I asked why the were called MBSGDs on them and MBGDs on panzers....the reply was "It's cause they just are!". I now know better.        ;)

Thanks for clearing that up T18A.

Regards

No issues. Seems that someone in DLR land always feels the need to introduce new designations every so many years just to keep the troops from knowing exactly what they are using.

George Wallace said:
MBGD  =  Multi Barrel Grenade Discharger

Having seen the 16/5 in action, I'm pretty sure that the 'B' stands for 'beer'. Not sure about the rest.

Vulgar fractions, indeed...  ;D

Der Panzerkommandant.... said:
I remember that as well. When I leaped from Cougars to the Leo I asked why the were called MBSGDs on them and MBGDs on panzers....the reply was "It's cause they just are!". I now know better.        ;)

Thanks for clearing that up T18A.

Regards

One only fired Smoke (Chemical or WP), while the other fired Smoke or HE.  No need to call it a "Smoke Grenade Discharger" if you have loaded it with HE.    ;D

Tango18A said:
Leave it to the Brits to gravitate towards beer. ;D

WHAT !

We never moved without a case of "Green Grenades" per man, and at least one 1.5 lt bottle of Baileys to keep our coffees to the NATO Standard.

George,

You would die of thirst these days. Even smokers have been cut back to end ex only.

Tango18A said:
No issues. Seems that someone in DLR land always feels the need to introduce new designations every so many years just to keep the troops from knowing exactly what they are using.

It's how one gets 'points' for 'leading change' when tasked to work in a HQ.

Gotta love it when a TLA like MBSGD takes the same time to say out loud as "Smoke Grenade Launcher"!

I'm not disputing the present nomenclature, but having served in Centurion, Ferret, Lynx and AVGP family, we  always referred to them as MBSGD.

Tango18A said:
Were there any 76mm HE grenades back then?

Yes there were.

(And as recceguy can attest, one did not want to be down range when a Lynx fired off its Smk (WP).  )

Late one summer the powers that be decided to fire SMK(WP) grenades from the MBSGDs on a troop of Cougars. Unfortunately they set fire to the grass at the North end of the Mattawa Plain and more than a few people spent several hours putting out the fire.

Rather than unload the other unfired MBSGDs the Cougars were driven down to the shore of the river and the remaining WP was fired out over the river.......into about a 40km HEADWIND!!! The grenades were blown backwards and most exploded BEHIND the firing vehicles.

I must say it led to a mad dash by several people (myself jncluded) to dodge the burning fragments of WP!

tango22a

RG: Sorry for Tangent

Tango18A said:
Were there any 76mm HE grenades back then?

The Cent and Ferret fired strictly Brit WP grenades. They were typical hand thrown variety and we used a separate squib charge that we had to wire into the tube to launch them.

So then MBSGD were the appropriate term back in the day. And MBGD/MBGL is proper for now as there is now more than one flavour of 76mm grenade.

Tango18A said:
So then MBSGD were the appropriate term back in the day. And MBGD/MBGL is proper for now as there is now more than one flavour of 76mm grenade.

I suppose it would also depend on whether you had a lisp or some other speech impediment as well.    >:D

George Wallace said:
I suppose it would also depend on whether you had a lisp or some other speech impediment as well.    >:D

There was a MCpl in the Hussars in Germany that had a bit of a speech impediment. He would do  his CC drills and when he got to the MBGD he would yell "moke - no moke"

In fact once when in Bergen we were doing an ex with the Brits. Some infantry climbed his tank and he was yelling over the net.
"HONA F@#$ DEY ON MA DANK THEY ON MY DANK....."silence.
Followed by the gunner laughing.. "1 this is -- they got my crew commander over"

Good fun.

ok...... I've said it before replying to some of these posts, I apologize for bringing up an old post, but this one has me laughing pretty hard!!! why??? be cause I WAS that gunner that was on the radio laughing about them taking my crew commander! if I may ask, what is your name Mover1?

Back