• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

14-time gold medal winner Michael Phelps caught with Cannabis pipe

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Talk about ruining a stellar career.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/150832/14-times-Olympic-gold-medal-winner-Michael-Phelps-caught-with-bong-cannabis-pipe.html

14-times Olympic gold medal winner Michael Phelps caught with cannabis pipe

By Georgina Dickinson, 01/02/2009

THIS is the astonishing picture which could destroy the career of the greatest competitor in Olympic history.

In our exclusive photo Michael Phelps, who won a record EIGHT gold medals for swimming at the Beijing games last summer, draws from a bong.

The glass pipes are generally used to smoke cannabis.

And after sporting chiefs announced laws which mean four-year bans for drug-taking, Phelps’ dreams of adding to his overall 14 gold medal tally at the 2012 games in London could already be OVER.

Those dreams seemed the last thing on his mind when he puffed from the bong during two days of partying with students last November, a quiet time in the swimming calendar when athletes would not expect to get tested for drugs.

One party-goer who witnessed the star’s behaviour told the News of the World: “He was out of control from the moment he got there.

“If he continues to party like that I’d be amazed if he ever won any more medals again.”

Phelps’ aides went into a panic over our story and offered us a raft of extraordinary incentives not to run the bong picture.

It was on November 6, weeks after his Beijing triumph, that 23-year-old Phelps surprised students at the University Of South Carolina in Columbia by showing up unannounced at a house party.

He was visiting Jordan Matthews, a girl he was secretly seeing who was a student there.

Our source revealed: “Michael came to visit Jordan but ended up just getting wasted every night.

“He arrived with a group of girls hanging all over him. Jaws hit the floor when he walked in. You don’t get many celebrities in Columbia, so when Phelps comes to your party it’s a very big deal.

Obnoxious
“He didn’t know many people so you’d think he’d be a little shy. But he was loud, obnoxious and slamming beers from the get-go.

“Every girl wanted a piece of him and every guy wanted to be his best buddy. He couldn’t get enough of all the attention.”

As he basked in his hero status, Phelps knocked back beers and shots of spirits. And when a student offered him the glass bong engraved with red writing, he did not hesitate, says our source.

The 6ft 4ins athlete, in a white T-shirt and navy cap worn back to front, clasped the device in his huge hands and inhaled deeply.

Our source said: “You could tell Michael had smoked before. He grabbed the bong and a lighter and knew exactly what to do.

“He looked just as natural with a bong in his hands as he does swimming in the pool. He was the gold medal winner of bong hits. Michael ended up getting a little paranoid, though, because before too long he looked like he was nervous and ran out of the place.”

Click here for a larger image of Michael Phelps smoking a cannabis pipe

But the next night, Phelps was out partying again. The source added: “He was right back at it at Pavlov’s bar.

“Like the night before he was holding court, throwing back shots two at a time and pouring drinks to every cute girl.”

Drink has got Phelps into trouble before. In 2004, aged 19, he got 18 months probation for driving while under the influence.

His wild behaviour is in stark contrast to the grim regime which took him to the top of his sport.

He once described his life, saying: “All you do is eat, sleep, swim; eat, sleep, swim; eat, sleep, swim.”

Last night Phelps’ management team and the sporting world closed ranks over the scandal.

Taint
The US Olympics Committee, who have pledged to clamp down on drug use, refused to comment, as did USA Swimming and Phelps’ coach Bob Bowman.

More surprising still was the World Anti-Doping Agency’s refusal to comment, given that they introduced the four-year ban on sport’s drug users.

Phelps, who earned £4million last year in endorsements, has resumed training for the 2012 games.

But there were fears about his commitment when, weeks after the bong incident, he began dating former stripper Caroline Pal.

Phelps is represented by marketing giant Octagon, which works with huge brands such as Mastercard and HSBC. They admitted proven cannabis use would be “a major taint” on Phelps’ character.

Spokesman Clifford Bloxham offered us an extraordinary deal not to publish our story, saying Phelps would become our columnist for three years, host events and get his sponsors to advertise with us.

In return, he asked that we kill Phelps’ bong picture. Bloxham said: “It’s seeing if something potentially very negative for Michael could turn into something very positive for the News of the World.”

He stressed that the swimmer had taken 1,500 drug tests and never failed one.

Until now?

E-mail inbound - PM doesn't seem to work...

In this day and age....not that big of a deal, especially if he is not presently competing.....now he has to deal with the bad publicity...that's going to hurt in the wallet.

I would guess the star status would have been pretty heady for a guy who wasn't used to it.....have we all not done some stupid things while under the influence?

News of the World. I'm sure they ran a picture of Bigfoot and the Easter Bunny doing shots last year. :)

Well, he now has to wait 6 months and stay clean before he goes to the CFRC.  He should also admit to using when interviewed by the recruiter.  He can probably pass the fitness test, but we'll have to see how he does on the CFAT before we can recommend a trade.

Or he can switch to Olympic snowboarding.

Michael O`Leary said:
Well, he now has to wait 6 months and stay clean before he goes to the CFRC. (I thought it was three years?) He should also admit to using when interviewed by the recruiter.  He can probably pass the fitness test, but we'll have to see how he does on the CFAT before we can recommend a trade.

Or he can switch to Olympic snowboarding. (and be with other like minded individuals......)

Swimmer Phelps regrets pot pipe

Swimming superstar Michael Phelps has admitted to "regrettable behaviour", after a UK newspaper published a photo of him apparently smoking cannabis.

Mr Phelps, 23, who won eight gold medals at the Beijing Olympics last year, was pictured by the News of the World inhaling from a glass pipe.

The picture was taken in November at a party in the University of South Carolina, the newspaper said.

Mr Phelps apologised to fans and said the incident would not be repeated.

In a statement sent to the Associated Press news agency, the swimmer acknowledged the photo was authentic.

"I engaged in behaviour which was regrettable and demonstrated bad judgment,"
he said. "I'm 23 years old and despite the successes I've had in the pool, I acted
in a youthful and inappropriate way, not in a manner people have come to expect
from me. "For this, I am sorry. I promise my fans and the public it will not happen
again."

Michael Phelps broke seven world records in Beijing, eight American records and
eight Olympic records to become the most decorated male Olympian of all time
with a total of 16 medals, including 14 golds.

In January he was named the United States Olympic Committee's sportsman of the
year for 2008.

Yrys said:
In a statement sent to the Associated Press news agency, the swimmer acknowledged the photo was authentic.
Does this mean that the bigfoot pictures are authentic now too?

So what?

Here is my favorite part of the news story

The glass pipes are generally used to smoke cannabis.

You don't say?

Ruin his career? don't be ridiculous, athletes and rockstars have made much much worse an that, sugar ray leonard was on coke most of his carreer and he is still considered one of the best boxers of all-time. Randy Moss too smoked. To me that's a not a big deal.

It would only ruin his career if he was taking bong hits before jumping in the pool! 

Dear America,

I take it back. I don’t apologize.

Because you know what? It’s none of your goddamned business. I work my ass off 10 months per year. It’s that hard work that gave you all those gooey feelings of patriotism last summer. If during my brief window of down time I want to relax, enjoy myself, and partake of a substance that’s a hell of a lot less bad for me than alcohol, tobacco, or, frankly, most of the prescription drugs most of you are taking, well, you can spare me the lecture.

I put myself through hell. I make my body do things nature never really intended us to endure. All world-class athletes do. We do it because you love to watch us push ourselves as far as we can possibly go. Some of us get hurt. Sometimes permanently. You’re watching the Super Bowl tonight. You’re watching 300 pound men smash each while running at full speed, in full pads. You know what the average life expectancy of an NFL player is? Fifty-five. That’s about 20 years shorter than your average non-NFL player. Yet you watch. And cheer. And you jump up spill your beer when a linebacker lays out a wide receiver on a crossing route across the middle. The harder he gets hit, the louder and more enthusiastically you scream.

Yet you all get bent out of shape when Ricky Williams, or I, or Josh Howard smoke a little dope to relax. Why? Because the idiots you’ve elected to make your laws have have without a shred of evidence beat it into your head that smoking marijuana is something akin to drinking antifreeze, and done only by dirty hippies and sex offenders.

You’ll have to pardon my cynicism. But I call bull****. You don’t give a damn about my health. You just get a voyeuristic thrill from watching an elite athlete fall from grace–all the better if you get to exercise a little moral righteousness in the process. And it’s hypocritical righteousness at that, given that 40 percent of you have tried pot at least once in your lives.

Here’s a crazy thought: If I can smoke a little dope and go on to win 14 Olympic gold medals, maybe pot smokers aren’t doomed to lives of couch surfing and video games, as our moronic government would have us believe. In fact, the list of successful pot smokers includes not just world class athletes like me, Howard, Williams, and others, it includes Nobel Prize winners, Pulitzer Prize winners, the last three U.S. presidents, several Supreme Court justices, and luminaries and success stories from all sectors of business and the arts, sciences, and humanities.

So go ahead. Ban me from the next Olympics. Yank my endorsement deals. Stick your collective noses in the air and get all indignant on me. While you’re at it, keep arresting cancer and AIDS patients who dare to smoke the stuff because it deadens their pain, or enables them to eat. Keep sending in goon squads to kick down doors and shoot little old ladies, maim innocent toddlers, handcuff elderly post-polio patients to their beds at gunpoint, and slaughter the family pet.

Tell you what. I’ll make you a deal. I’ll apologize for smoking pot when every politician who ever did drugs and then voted to uphold or strengthen the drug laws marches his ass off to the nearest federal prison to serve out the sentence he wants to impose on everyone else for committing the same crimes he committed. I’ll apologize when the sons, daughters, and nephews of powerful politicians who get caught possessing or dealing drugs in the frat house or prep school get the same treatment as the no-name, probably black kid caught on the corner or the front stoop doing the same thing.

Until then, I for one will have none of it. I smoked pot. I liked it. I’ll probably do it again. I refuse to apologize for it, because by apologizing I help perpetuate this stupid lie, this idea that what someone puts into his own body on his own time is any of the government’s damned business. Or any of yours. I’m not going to bend over and allow myself to be propaganda for this wasteful, ridiculous, immoral war.

Go ahead and tear me down if you like. But let’s see you rationalize in your next lame ONDCP commercial how the greatest mother****ing swimmer the world has ever seen . . . is also a proud pot smoker.

Yours,

Michael Phelps

Picked this up on another forum, though I doubt it's Phelps  ;D

http://www.theagitator.com/2009/02/01/a-letter-id-like-to-see-but-wont/

A Letter I’d Like To See (But Won’t)
Sunday, February 1st, 2009

Dear America,

I take it back. I don’t apologize.

Because you know what? It’s none of your goddamned business. I work my ass off 10 months per year. It’s that hard work that gave you all those gooey feelings of patriotism ....

My view.

This athelete is a household name in many homes in the USA.

He is a role model and looked up to by many US youth who aspire to be atheletes themselves.

He also sponsors many products. Worth millions to him and his sponsors.

Being who he is, for many years to come he will be in the public's eye, and whether he likes it or not, he has a standard to maintain, and to set an example for others to follow.

The use of illegal drugs is not an example to set.

We'll see what his sponsors do. I reckon many will dump him.

If you want to do illegal drugs as a public figure/national idolised Olympic champion, do it in the privacy of home, and where no one can take pics, or better yet, set an example and don't do them at all.

He has embarassed and let down many by such a thoughtless foolish act.

Phelps = idiot IMHO.

Well said, and I do believe that at least one sponsor (Subway) has already dropped him over this incident.
(heard it on the radio this afternoon)

Just one more example of the incredible irony of placing sports/entertainment/whatever stars on pedestals as "examples to our youth" and then wailing over their personal failures when they don't live up to the fictional billing they were wrapped in.  Being an athlete doesn't automatically make him a paragon of virtue.  Society is collectively just as stupid for having dumped such expectations on him and creating a false need for him to be pure and wholesome to match the PR buildup. He's a swimmer, not a frickin' saint.

ToRN said:
Well said, and I do believe that at least one sponsor (Subway) has already dropped him over this incident.
(heard it on the radio this afternoon)

Kelloggs has dropped him as well and a 3 month suspensin, now there is a harsh susoension

Back