• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

16 Jan 2010: SGT John Faught, 1 PPCLI, R.I.P.

Nfld Sapper

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
CBC NEWSWORLD is reporting a CDN Soldier has died in Afghanistan.......

EDITED TO ADD......

Canadian soldier killed after stepping on IED

470_faught_100116.jpg

Sgt. John Faught, 44, is shown in this pre-deployment handout photo from the Department of National Defence.
CTV.ca News Staff

Date: Saturday Jan. 16, 2010 4:17 PM ET

A Canadian soldier, Sgt. John Faught, 44, has died in a roadside bomb blast in Afghanistan. He was the first Canadian casualty in the war torn country this year.

Faught was killed after stepping on an improvised explosive device in the Panjwaii district of Kandahar province.

He was a member of the 1st Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, based out of Edmonton.

Breaking news. More details to come.

EDITED....

Title Change.

RIP Sgt.  My sincere condolences to his family, friends, loved ones, and his Regimental family.

:cdn:

John Wayne, I'll hoist a couple for you tonight!

John Wayne Faught - RIP my friend, you shall be missed.  :salute:

Our condolences to Sgt Faught's family.

Bomb kills Canadian soldier in Afghanistan
Last Updated: Saturday, January 16, 2010 | 4:45 PM ET Comments
CBC News

A Canadian soldier on foot patrol was killed Saturday in southern Afghanistan after stepping on an improvised explosive device, the military said.

faught-john-cp-7952002.jpg

Sgt. John Faught, 44, is shown in this pre-deployment handout photo from National Defence. He was killed in Afghanistan's Panjwaii district by an IED on Saturday. (DND)

Sgt. John Faught, 44, of the 1st Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry based in Edmonton, was taking part in a foot patrol with Afghan soldiers near the town of Nakhoney in the volatile Panjwaii district, about 15 kilometres southwest of Kandahar city, when the device detonated.

"He lost his life after a homemade bomb exploded. That's all the military is saying right now," the CBC's Derek Stoffel reported from Kandahar.

"He was just simply walking — out greeting Afghans and the bomb exploded. That is how he died," Stoffel said. No one else was killed in the blast.

Faught , originally from Sault Ste. Marie, Ont, "was a very conscientious and thorough section commander who always put the needs of his soldiers above his own," said Brig.-Gen. Daniel Menard. "I offer our sincere condolences to the family and friends of our great fallen warrior."

Faught's death brings to 139 Canadian soldiers and two civilians who have been killed in Canada's eight-year mission in Afghanistan.

With files from The Canadian Press

My sincere condolences.

Rest in peace, Sergeant

:piper:  :salute:  :cdn:

I did not know him personally, but he did his duty. I can think of no higher compliment for a fallen soldier.

News Release
Canadian soldier killed by improvised explosive device
NR – 10.001 - January 16, 2010

OTTAWA — One Canadian soldier was killed by an improvised explosive device during a dismounted security patrol near the town of Nakhonay in the Panjwayi district, approximately 15 kilometres south-west of Kandahar City.  The incident took place at approximately 2:00 p.m. Kandahar time on 16 Jan 2010.

Faught.jpg

Sergeant John Faught

Killed in action was Sergeant John Wayne Faught from the 1st Battalion Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, based in Edmonton, Alberta. He was serving as a member of the Task Force 3-09 Battle Group.

At this sad time, our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of our fallen Canadian comrade. The commitment and sacrifice of our soldiers and their loved ones are helping to make a difference in the lives of the people of Kandahar Province.

Members of Joint Task Force Afghanistan work with the soldiers and police of the Afghan National Security Forces to improve security and build a better future for Afghans. Canada remains committed to bringing peace, stability and good governance to Afghanistan.

–30–

Note to editors (Note: new procedure): A photograph of Sergeant John Wayne Faught is available on the Fallen Canadians page of the Department of National Defence website. Please visit http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/focus/fallen-disparus/index-eng.asp

RIP Sgt! :salute:

Condolences to his family, friends and comrades in arms.

:yellow:

Rest in peace Sergeant, your mission is complete. My sincere condolences to the family of Sgt. Faught, his friends, and the Regiment. Ubique. :cdn: :yellow: :yellow:

:cdn: RIP fellow brother, any know were his home town is? So upon his arrival we are able to pay our respects?

Take care MBP

Man_Bear_Pig said:
:cdn: RIP fellow brother, any know were his home town is? So upon his arrival we are able to pay our respects?

Take care MBP
Sault Ste Marie, Ont

This one hurts....they all hurt but this one moreso

This is, indeed, sad news.  I doubt that there is a Patricia serving today that doesn't know him or, at the very least, heard a John Wayne Faught story.
Save me a seat in the mess Buddy I'll be there eventually.
:salute:

John Wayne...  Jay Dub,

What an awesome soldier and leader, and I treasure my time that I served with you.  Hard as nails, old school hard, and you cared about your soldiers more than most I have ever seen. 

You always spoke your mind, saying the difficult things that others might not, and invariably you were right. 

You were a true warrior, and no one who knew you will ever forget you.

My condolences to all who knew him, and I know there will be some people hurting tonight.

RIP Sgt. John Wayne Faught

Condolences to the family, colleagues and friends of the fallen  :salute:

Message from Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, on the occasion of the death of Sergeant John Wayne Faught

"As in previous weeks, we are mourning once again. At a time when our soldiers are being deployed on an emergency basis to assist a Haitian population devastated by a horrible earthquake, a new and deadly attack in Afghanistan serves as a brutal reminder of the risks our troops face wherever duty calls.

My husband Jean-Daniel and I were deeply saddened to learn that Sergeant John Wayne Faught from the 1st Battalion Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, based in Edmonton, Alberta, was killed by an improvised explosive device while conducting a security foot patrol near the city of Nakhonay, in the district of Panjwayi, some 15 kilometres southwest of the city of Kandahar.

Our soldiers – our fine men and women – continue to exhibit uncommon altruism and bravery alongside the Afghan population, who aspire to a normal life, security, justice, and sustainable human development. And Canada, along with all of the allied countries belonging to NATO and operating under UN authority, supports this fundamental aspiration.

Let us come together in our hearts and in our minds and show the utmost respect as we pay tribute to Sergeant Faught’s rare contribution and the ultimate sacrifice that he and his family, friends, comrades and loved ones have made. May they know that all across this land, Canadians feel their sadness. May they know that they are not alone and that our thoughts are with them during this painful time."

Statement by the Prime Minister of Canada
Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued the following statement today on the death in Afghanistan of Sergeant John Wayne Faught:

“It is with great sorrow that I extend my condolences, and those of all Canadians, to the family and friends of Sergeant John Wayne Faught, who died today in Afghanistan.  He was killed by an improvised explosive device while on a joint Afghan National Army-Canadian Battle Group dismounted security patrol in the Panjwayi District.

“I join with Canadians, who stand proudly with our men and women of the Canadian Forces as they courageously risk their lives every day to bring peace and security to the people of Afghanistan.

“The courage demonstrated by Sergeant Faught speaks volumes of his dedication to our country and to this mission.  Canada will remain steadfast, and Taliban attacks will not deter our efforts to help Afghanistan achieve peace and stability.

“Sergeant Faught was helping to bring back hope to a population that has seen much hardship and turmoil.  He gave his life not only to protect Canadians and our national interests, but also to provide hope to Afghans for a better future.

“The sacrifice Sergeant John Wayne Faught made in the name of Canada and the Canadian people will not be forgotten.”

Back