• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2 Canadian soldiers hurt in Afghan firefight

camochick

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060708/afghan_injuries_060708/20060708?hub=TopStories

2 Canadian soldiers hurt in Afghan firefight
Updated Sat. Jul. 8 2006 12:39 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Two Canadian soldiers have been injured -- one seriously -- in a firefight with Taliban insurgents in Afghanistan.

Both soldiers were taken to the hospital at the international coalition base in Kandahar.

The more seriously injured of the two is scheduled to be flown to a U.S. military hospital in Landstuhl, Germany.

Neither of the injured soldiers have been identified, and details of their injuries have not been released for security reasons, said CTV's Steve Chao, reporting from Afghanistan.

The attack occurred as Canadian troops performed a major sweep through farms and villages in an area west of Kandahar City.

The area is known as Taliban territory, said Chao, who was on patrol with the Canadian troops when the injuries occurred.

"This is an area that has long been Taliban territory, hostile territory towards the Canadian forces," Chao told CTV Newsnet, reporting by phone as the battle continued on Saturday.

"The two Canadian soldiers were hurt in the daytime during some intensive fighting among vineyards, among riverbeds as well as among some mud-walled compounds. This territory is very difficult to fight in just because there are so many areas for fighters to hide."

The more seriously injured soldier was hurt during a Friday firefight. 

"He was hurt pretty badly. Due to security reasons we can't tell you how he was injured, but we understand from medics he will pull through," Chao said.The other soldier's minor injuries resulted from a coalition air strike called in to target the insurgents.

He was listed in good condition.

My thoughts go out to the families of these soldiers.  :salute:

Glad to hear that the more seriously one will pull through.  God Speed to all!  :salute:

Good thing that they are both going to be okay. Hope that they will get better quickly.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/07/08/soldiers-wounded.html

Last Updated Sat, 08 Jul 2006 13:06:14 EDT
CBC News

Two Canadian soldiers have been wounded, one seriously, in a gunfight with insurgents west of Kandahar City.

The soldiers were hurt during a fierce battle that raged throughout the night and into most of Saturday morning, until around noon local time, a military spokesman said.

One of the soldiers was hit by "friendly fire" and is said to be in good condition. The other had to be airlifted to a military hospital in Germany and is listed in serious but stable condition.

It was relentless battle carried out in a maze of villages and farmers' fields, the CBC's Brooks DeCillia said from Kandahar.

"We spent most of the morning with artillery units that blasted round after round at the insurgents, about 10 to 20 kilometres away, shelling not only where the insurgents were hiding, but their escape routes, allowing infantry soldiers to engage them."

The wounded soldiers were airlifted by helicopter from the battlefield in Panjwai District, a military official said.

Their names have not been released.

Well its not the same but I have friends over there and when I don't hear the names only the incident it cuts deep.

Get well quickly so you can rejoin your mates!! Granny being a parent of two son's deployed to Iraq I know how you feel. Every news report of an IED is tough on the wife. Then you see that they are alright but then you feel guilty because some other parent's worst fears are realized. An emotional roller coaster for the folks at home supporting their loved one's. Not hearing is a good thing because the bad news comes comes all too quickly. Keep occupied and try not to watch too much TV news.

Tomahawk
I know exactly how you and your wife feel.We have been down that road of early A.M. phone calls and not knowing what the heck was going on. Its not just my son I worry about, I have been adopted by at least ten of the guys over there with him so you end up worrying about them all. I hope to hear something soon, usually he is pretty good about calling as soon as it is possible or sending a short and sweet email. Worded something like  still here ,OK, talk soon. And yes my prayers go out to the families, they will need great strength to get through.

Hi Granny
Unfortunately, when something like this happens, they usually lock down communications back home until the "mess" is sorted out.  But, as others have said, in most of these cases, no news is good news.
Keep the faith, and keep the home fires burning!
:salute:

Thanks von Garvin
I know we will hear from him as soon as he's able.And with this new incident comms will be locked down for a good part of the day again.

Speedy recovery to the injured and for the units still in contact keep up the good fight your doing great work!

Military Granny,

Don't worry, you would have been called. Those teams out their are the best, your boy is in good hands with his unit and his friends, they will take care of each other. I was wounded 11 years ago this week, my family new very fast the rest were locked down from calling as Von has said. You take care now MG.

3rd and the rest of you gent Thank you for your support. I have just heard from the boy and he is fine. I know without all of you I would go nuts.  ;)

military granny said:
3rd and the rest of you gent Thank you for your support. I have just heard from the boy and he is fine. I know without all of you I would go nuts.  ;)
You're welcome, and I am SO GLAD that you have heard from him.  Even though logic says that "no news is good news", there is nothing like hearing it from the horse's mouth (not that I'm calling your son a horse ;)
God Speed

Back