• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

20 years

Good2Golf said:
Glucosimine, chondroiten and advil....  ;)

Oh...and good boot liners -- I wear other boots daily, but I still prefer to BFT/ruck in my Vibram'd Mk.IIIs for their combination of support and comfort.  As well, you could suggest to your wife you'd like some nice gel/memory foam liners - I get mine at Mark's Work Warehouse, can't recall the name, but they were about $30, orange foam with blue gel heel and ball of foot inserts.

Keep up the great work!

Regards
G2G

+Gold Bond

My biggest regret is I didn't discover the joys of insoles until I was handed them at physio  :facepalm:.

Basically, they are a lifesaver.

I would recommend these: https://secure.yoursole.com/ca/footbeds/softec-ultra/

Bonne Chance!  :salute:

Thanks for the story.  I'm 40, a new grandfather, kids are done school within the decade including university, and I just walked through the door for my CFAT, medical and interview for the PRes.

I'm as nervous as on my first date. :)

However, I've wanted to get back to this since my first taste in 1989. Your story gives me a lot of motivation.

Thanks again.

When it comes to insoles I stumbled on to these several years ago and never wore my boots without them since then. (no boots for me any more cept for hunting and hiking, and,  yup, they're in there..)
http://www.spenco.com/products/footcare/poly-sorb/heavy-duty

Seriously, thanks everyone for the advice/comments. The foot advice is timely, as my heels sometimes bother me. As well, thanks for the headlamp piece. I started taking glucosamine a few months ago, and I found it did wonders for my knees. I just got to try and keep the body whole for the summer.

Jackson, the CF used to give out glucosamine but stopped after there were no concrete studies of its effects but I am glad to hear it works for you!  Where did you say you were again?

For your night nav, if you have a second red filter for an elbow light. I would recommend drilling a very small hole in the centre of the filter.

That way there you have your red filter for night time and can see all the markings on you map because the filter will let out a little bit of white light thanks to the hole, which if done right will not be noticable by anyone not looking at your map.

Ok, so I am going to throw this out there for random advice. My friends and family have a view but none have the military perspective, and I hope someone can help.

I went on BMOQ-L/CAP in Aldershot and it did not go well. I was a medical RTU after 2 mods. However, even without this, I am not sure I would have lasted. The course was not that hard, but I was having a terrible time with it. I was not sleeping or eating and really did not settle for the entire month I was there. I was totally off and there was no real reason why. Anyway, not good.

I returned to the unit with the intention of a VR as it was becoming clear that while I enjoyed my earlier courses well enough, and loved the time at the unit, I was now soured on the whole thing. I am very discouraged. However, the CO (great person) suggested I think about it more. He said nice things about value to the unit, etc... and maybe I could do it in single mods and not try the whole thing at once. I appreciated his comments but do not know if I want/can go try it again. Then again, my time in the reserves had been going so well, that I am not sure I want to pack it in.

Bottom line is I am at loss. I would appreciate and views at all.

Jackson10 said:
and maybe I could do it in single mods 

If you are having difficulty handling BMOQ-L, how are you going to handle the rest ?

It doesn't get easier or less stressful from there.

Once you left course, were you able to determine why you were not sleeping or eating ?

Jackson10 said:
I returned to the unit with the intention of a VR as it was becoming clear that while I enjoyed my earlier courses well enough, and loved the time at the unit, I was now soured on the whole thing. I am very discouraged. However, the CO (great person) suggested I think about it more. He said nice things about value to the unit, etc... and maybe I could do it in single mods and not try the whole thing at once. I appreciated his comments but do not know if I want/can go try it again. Then again, my time in the reserves had been going so well, that I am not sure I want to pack it in.

Bottom line is I am at loss. I would appreciate and views at all.

Since when are you the quitting type?

I suggest you look back through this entire thread before you do anything...specifically, this post:

One last post to close the loop. Graduated PRes BMQ today. Won the "Top Shot" award. Let me say, I have held my newborn children, been married a couple of times, and earned three degrees, but today was the proudest moment of my life. It is tough to find the words.

Thanks for the replies. No idea why I could not sleep. Seems fine now. The thing is, you both hit on the conflicting points. Was totally caught off guard by my reaction on the course. Did not see it coming at all, and makes me wonder whether I have simply reached my limits with it. I can accept that if it is true. The flip side is like AGD says, not particularly thrilled at the prospect of quitting as it is new to me, but confidence is a bit shaken.

CDN Aviator said:
If you are having difficulty handling BMOQ-L, how are you going to handle the rest ?

It doesn't get easier or less stressful from there.

Once you left course, were you able to determine why you were not sleeping or eating ?

Although looking back on BOTC (as we called it then), I can chuckle and ask myself why I was so stressed out at the time as it really wasn't that hard, I can certainly attest to the fact that the stress at the time was real.  Perhaps, in my case anyway, I looked upon BOTC as a "tryout" where I had to perform or lose out on a career I desperately wanted.  I did not feel the same about subsequent courses.  Arguably, they were more important in the grand scheme of things, but I never thought my livelihood was in jeopardy.  In short, I found that life after BOTC got easier, despite the fact that the actual consequences of failure were significantly higher.

Thanks Pusser. I was certainly worked up for it. Everyone told me that this was the course for me. The comments were that BMQ and BMOQ were nothing  and my trade course was only a month, so this is all I had to get through for my career. I was thinking of this and the infantry guys were all looking forward to their phase 3. Maybe this caused me to get freaked out more than it should have.

Jackson10 said:
I was thinking

That's the problem. Not just with you though, i see it with a large majority of new people on here.

You all think too f*****g much.

If you are going to stay in the CF, you're going to have to develop the ability to think of getting through one day and that's it. Those other guy's phase 3....it had f**kall to do with you.

Initial training is the easy part of one's career. One day you might have more to worry about than your "livelihood", you will be worrying about being alive at the end of the day.  If you decide to stay, please learn to get a grip on yourself. You'll thank me later.

I agree with the comment. That seems to be the challenge for me right now.

What the heck are you gonna do if on field ex? Things even on field exercises in Canada will never be so liberal on sleep, food, "stress" level as BMOQ was. If your having issues with that stress to the point where you were med rtu'd I would question being a leader of subordinates.

Deployment breaks sane people who never had issues with anything the army threw at them.

I suggest you figure out the issue and question if you could deploy for months on end. If not release.

You guys are correct.  It is a tough realization that you have limits, but I hit mine. I will leave the leadership to those better suited than me. Better I figure it out now rather than a situation when lives at risk.  Release memo is drafted and will be delivered tomorrow. Thanks for the honest opinions.

Jackson10 said:
You guys are correct.  It is a tough realization that you have limits, but I hit mine. I will leave the leadership to those better suited than me. Better I figure it out now rather than a situation when lives at risk.  Release memo is drafted and will be delivered tomorrow. Thanks for the honest opinions.

Now all the lawyer degree stuff.....you could help a ton of veterans with that. Maybe with a minor look into the military and what soldiers do; you could redirect your energy to help those injured overseas pro bono as they fight VAC. Or maybe look at aiding Equitas society (http://equitassociety.ca/?page_id=5) as they are the only thing fighting for our veterans right now.

You reached your limit and know how it feels. Imagine being injured overseas under the NVC and coming home to a broken system to care for your family.....thats stressful as well.

Just a few idea's and maybe an option moving forward.

Will do. Still want to make a contribution and maybe there is something I can do there.

Jackson10 said:
Will do. Still want to make a contribution and maybe there is something I can do there.

I know you have no issue with the laws and courtrooms that would have many a soldier nervous. Don`t focus on the lack of skill sets from your BOTC; but look at the skill sets you already have which are most impressive.

Back