• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2005 Nijmegan March (images, not for dialup)

MOOXE

Inactive
Reaction score
Didnt see many posts ref the last Nijmegan March so heres some info..

If you havent gone, but have heard about it you may believe its only a 40km march every day for 4 days
straight. Thats true to an extent. For the military marchers its about 45km each day. We have to march
to the startpoint in the morning, then in the afternoon we have to march from the finish line to our camp.
Pretty gruelling "tax" on you after you hoped you were done after 40km. We started at about 4-5AM each
morning and finish about 10-12 hours later. After each break youd have to work your blisters and sores
back into thier grooves in your boots, that was the worst part. We sang songs, talked, sometimes we just
marched silently. We passed ALOT of Operation Market Garden monuments and sites, and ofcourse
we marched over many of the bridges (naturally on the flight to Holland we watched A Bridge Too Far).
Anyways, it was a very rewarding experience. Theres only about 220 slots available a year, so if you've gone
once, let someone else go! This is a really good go, and not a swan!

The day before the march started we paraded to raise our flag. 1 or 2 members
from each team are on this parade.

100_4397.jpg

Tons of kids, tons of crowds. The kids would run up with thier bags and say "shoovaneers??" and we'd
dish 'em out in handfuls.

100_4413.jpg

This crowd is actually small compared to some.

100_4414.jpg

Heres a band that was playing as we walked by...

100_4415.jpg

This was day 4, or 3... its been awhile and hard to remember. Wall
to wall people. Huge party, no time to stop for a drink though. These kind of
crowds get your mind off  of how bad your feet hurt.

100_4418.jpg

Now this was definetly day 4. Were marching to Groesbeek war cemetary a large
number of Canadians are buried. Unfortunately we didnt get there in time to join
the parade, so we just relaxed under the trees. Slept, ate, bandaged and checked
out the headstones. Our Major did some homework before we left Canada and
brought us to 2 graves and gave us the story on how those men died in battle.

100_4419.jpg

The German contingent built a bridge across this canal. You can see it on
the right in front of the white boat. It was a huge bottleneck for the march. Only
about 10km to go after this rest area and the entire march will be over.

100_4423.jpg

100_4424.jpg

100_4425.jpg

We're all done. I took this awesome picture as soon as we got back to the shacks.
The medics did quite a good job on everyone bandaging us up. Unfortunately I ruined my toes
on day 1 due to a rookie mistake. I changed my insoles to a different style before the march,
they were too thick and the tops of my toes rubbed off on the inside of my boot after the 1st 10km.
It was very annoying at 1st and eventually got very painful.

100_4428.jpg

Hey MOOXE, I have a few questions for you.

How do you get chosen or accepted into the group to go over to do the march?

What was the actual march like, in terms of, pride, and other feelings?

And lastly, would you do it again? and if so, what would you change about the march?

Thanks,

Mitch

You get to go basically because your a deserving person. The march was really gruelling, 45km a day, 4 days in a row, wake up at 3-4am, march till 3-4pm, get back to shacks, bandage, eat, shower, get kit ready for next day and finally go to sleep. Pride... well I cant say I really felt much pride being a Canadian Soldier doing the march, its more of a personal pride, being able to say to yourself, "I did it!!!" Just proving to yourself that you can put up with the pain and everything else that comes with marching fills you (atleast it did to me) with self satisfaction, pride... you know all that good stuff.

I would not do it again. Not because of the hardship involved, I just hated to see some of the guys who were there for thier umpteenth time when theres tons of other people waiting for thier 1st crack at it. I say move over, let everyone get a chance to do this.

Isn't Nigmegen normally done with ruck sacks as opposed to small-packs? Any idea of why it has changed?

No idea why it changed. Small pack doesnt have and metal frame on it so it was softer fitting... but the small pack sagged alot and we were always pulling our straps up.. didnt handle weight well IMO. Plus it looks better, matches the uniform and all...

22lbs dry weight. Then your food, whatever and whatever else is added. There are periodic random weight checks by staff as the checkpoints. We never ran into any, but we did hear a few other countries had members disqualified on the spot for having less weight.

Back