• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

Also the GTA gave him his win. Can that translate nationally?

With our broken seat distribution being unpopular in Ont is a huge detriment.
He’s still leading in the polls and broke through the GTA last time. So we’d have to see how that could translate nationally. But his messy thing with Franco Ontariens didn’t endear to Quebec. Mind you he backtracked but it did damage him a bit.

He’s still leading in the polls and broke through the GTA last time. So we’d have to see how that could translate nationally. But his messy thing with Franco Ontariens didn’t endear to Quebec. Mind you he backtracked but it did damage him a bit.

Does he Parler Vous ?

I’m curious how this could play out. A provincial election is coming. So let’s say he wins (I think he will).
My prediction is that Ford will go down in flames, aided by the federal Liberals. Trudeau would love a provincially red Ontario.
Then he makes a run for the CPC. Nothing says he has to have a seat in the HoC until it’s time for an election which could be two years from now.
After he's burned at the stake, as articulated above, his reputation in ON will be tarnished and his electability nullified. The federal Cons won't touch him.

My prediction is that Ford will go down in flames, aided by the federal Liberals. Trudeau would love a provincially red Ontario.

After he's burned at the stake, as articulated above, his reputation in ON will be tarnished and his electability nullified. The federal Cons won't touch him.
Possible yes. I saw a few Doug Fraud signs at the protest.

There are all sorts of publications by political scientists and pundits which describe how having the same party in power in both Ottawa and Ontario often creates difficulties for both. One interesting one from last week I think posited that one of the reasons is that neither party has a large enough 'backroom A-team' to manage both at the same time.

I'm not naive enough to try and predict how Ontario's next election will turn out, but I don't think Ford has enough traction federally.

Everyone in that crowd, including Poilievre, Lewis, and O’Toole had the chance — nay, the obligation — to call out the intolerance. Not after the images hit Twitter, but immediately. On the spot.

If you stand shoulder to shoulder with people who display racist symbols, and don’t tell them right then and there to leave your protest or take them down, you are not standing up for freedom. You are standing with hate. If you stand with people who verbally abuse hotel clerks and inflict 24-7 mayhem on an entire city, you are not standing up for freedom. You will be tarred with their hatred and become complicit in their agenda.

Conservative MPs Pierre Poilievre and Leslyn Lewis were working the crowd all weekend, giving coffee and sympathy to protesters and yammering about “freedom” until their vocal cords gave out.

Organizers of the protest said O’Toole should quit and be replaced by Poilievre or Lewis.

Shots of people hoisting confederate flags, “Trump 2024” signs, and Canadian flags adorned with swastikas.

Interesting.

Up to the bit in yellow, intriguing idea. What would the chances be, though, of Peter M being able to bridge the gap that would be in place between a slightly-redder Team Blue 2.0 and the existing Team Blue 1.0?
If reasonably intelligent people, let’s call them Blue Liberals, who most-likely had moved to the LPC because the CPC was policy-wise measurably further right than the PCs were, see that they can unplug their nose enough and rejoin the PC party, knowing that the farther-right CPC wouldn’t get their vote, even if a PC-CPC coalition would form Government, then the yellow-bit above may still be something acceptable to at least some of the original PC->LPC transferees.

If reasonably intelligent people, let’s call them Blue Liberals, who most-likely had moved to the LPC because the CPC was policy-wise measurably further right than the PCs were, see that they can unplug their nose enough and rejoin the PC party, knowing that the farther-right CPC wouldn’t get their vote, even if a PC-CPC coalition would form Government, then the yellow-bit above may still be something acceptable to at least some of the original PC->LPC transferees.

The CPC can't go all messiah seeking like the LPC of the 00s did, either. I think that would turn some of the people you describe (okay, me) off of them even more. Because this isn't something fixed by a leadership review/race/anointing.

If they decide to fend off Max first then we'll get something entirely different.

Yup. I don’t know where they think they’ll get to, but an ‘anointment’ of anyone other than Ambrose at this point (so we know it won’t ne successful in the end) is going to be a mess and will likely hand Trudeau a fourth term (and probably a majority too).

I was a PC lifer until the Reform/Alliance hard-core faction brought out whatever blackmail material it had on Harper and their appreciation of the boost the PCs gave them post-merger was conveniently forgotten and MacKay never became the shared PM after Harper. We’re going to have to accept that at least for the next half decade or so, socks, hair and virtue signaling will be something we live with. 😔

Yup. I don’t know where they think they’ll get to, but an ‘anointment’ of anyone other than Ambrose at this point (so we know it won’t ne successful in the end) is going to be a mess and will likely hand Trudeau a fourth term (and probably a majority too).

I was a PC lifer until the Reform/Alliance hard-core faction brought out whatever blackmail material it had on Harper and their appreciation of the boost the PCs gave them post-merger was conveniently forgotten and MacKay never became the shared PM after Harper. We’re going to have to accept that at least for the next half decade or so, socks, hair and virtue signaling will be something we live with. 😔

Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

Putting on my tin foil hat now...

And I have postulated this before...

What if the CPC is purposefully throwing elections now ? Leave JT and team in place, eventually their bed will be so full of shit they wont be able to lay in it anymore and completely destroy the Liberal Party.

I don't think any federal party plays a long game like that.

Back