• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

Back when I joined the CPC to have a voice in Scheer's eventual win, I voted for Chong. I would again.

Not sure he can win over the loonies though.
The SOCONs would probably get donations from an anonymous source (NOT LPC agents šŸ˜‰) to campaign against Chong.

I donā€™t think Oā€™Tooleā€™s problem is heā€™s a ā€œmoderateā€. Itā€™s that heā€™s all over the place. One day heā€™s moderate, the next day heā€™s ā€œTrue-Blueā€ and making juvenile videos. Nobody can tell where heā€™ll stand on a given issue. If you donā€™t like what he says on Monday, wait till Tuesday and you will. Heā€™s talking out of both sides of his mouth, which only works if youā€™re a Liberal.

I donā€™t think Oā€™Tooleā€™s problem is heā€™s a ā€œmoderateā€. Itā€™s that heā€™s all over the place. One day heā€™s moderate, the next day heā€™s ā€œTrue-Blueā€ and making juvenile videos. Nobody can tell where heā€™ll stand on a given issue. If you donā€™t like what he says on Monday, wait till Tuesday and you will. Heā€™s talking out of both sides of his mouth, which only works if youā€™re a Liberal.

He's making the classic leadership mistake of trying to make everyone happy.

The CPC is not a one person show. O'Toole must be getting advice from sources within the CPC whose role is to advise the leader. Whether he takes that advice is another matter.

His language sure indicated that he's willing to blow things up over this. Maybe that's why MGR looked sooooo uncomfortable last night.

I have also heard a soundbyte from someone referencing "Scheerites" being behind this move.

Lisa Raitt appeared convinced that Erin is done and dusted.

It's Michelle Rempel Garner's involvement/stance that has me flummoxed about where this could lead.

Hearing more and more stuff like this about the CPC under O'Toole: John Ivison: How Erin O'Toole allegedly sidelined Peter MacKay's plan to run in next election and it's coming back to bite him now. It's a year old, but pretty damned relevant now.

John Ivison
Publishing date:
Mar 17, 2021

[...]

The Conservative Party is a house divided heading into its policy convention this week ā€“ and a number of senior Conservatives are pointing the finger of blame at Oā€™Toole and his team for engaging in divisive tactics aimed at marginalizing potential rivals.

[...]

"He has created dischord where none existed."

This aggressive settling of old scores goes beyond the candidate himself. Twenty-four MPs who backed MacKay and held shadow ministerial roles under former leader Andrew Scheer, found themselves without portfolios after Oā€™Toole won. (The party points out that 12 MacKay supporters retained critic roles but with 52 spots in the shadow cabinet and only 38 MPs backing Oā€™Toole, some retention was almost inevitable.

Pierre Poilievre, who did not back MacKay but was sucking up a lot of publicity oxygen in his role as shadow finance minister, promptly found himself demoted to industry critic last month.

Change is inevitable with any new regime but successful leaders create a team from former rivals. When Brian Mulroney won the Progressive Conservative leadership in June 1983, he embraced his former challengers ā€“ including Joe Clark, Don Mazankowski, Jake Epp and Erik Nielsen ā€“ drawing them into his inner circle and helping to pay off their campaign debts. By drawing the Conservative family together, he created what became known as the Blue Thunder movement and led the party to power the following year.

Oā€™Toole is a student of history but he seems unwilling to learn that particular lesson, in favour of re-litigating the leadership contest. It smacks of insecurity.

[...]

With the leader and his party languishing in the polls, you might expect a concerted effort to heal old wounds. But the opposite seems the case. ā€œErinā€™s people are so convinced they are going to form government, they can afford to purge rivals,ā€ said the veteran Hill staffer.

That is not what public opinion polls indicate, with the Liberals in majority territory and the Conservatives dipping below 30 per cent support in an average of recent surveys.

If that result was replicated in a general election, there would be a mutiny among the Conservative membership and swift calls for a new leader. ā€œIf I was Peter or Pierre, I would start to nosy around as soon as the convention is over,ā€ said one former senior figure in the party.

[...]

ā€œErin and Fred (Delorey) have taken great pains to ensure there is involvement at the most senior level by people from other leadership campaignsā€¦..Erin has not appointed a single candidate. If Peter MacKay had put his name forward and won that nomination, he would be a candidate today,ā€ he said. ā€œThe critics need to give the leadership the opportunity to succeed.ā€

None of the dozen Conservative sources I spoke with are optimistic about the partyā€™s prospects. None thought a coup is possible this side of an election. But they were far less confident about the resilience of party unity in the event of a defeat that restored Trudeauā€™s majority.

I have only ever heard of Fred Delorey from my time living in Antigonish. I never understood why Fred was not on Peter's team and instead on Erin's. It didn't make sense to me. Then again, the few times I have heard Fred's name come up in conversation, it wasn't positive and barely tepid.

Hearing more and more stuff like this about the CPC under O'Toole: John Ivison: How Erin O'Toole allegedly sidelined Peter MacKay's plan to run in next election and it's coming back to bite him now. It's a year old, but pretty damned relevant now.

I have only ever heard of Fred Delorey from my time living in Antigonish. I never understood why Fred was not on Peter's team and instead on Erin's. It didn't make sense to me. Then again, the few times I have heard Fred's name come up in conversation, it wasn't positive and barely tepid.
Kind of paints Oā€™Toole as either an unwitting (thus naive, and weak) or deliberate (and thus disingenuous to the small-C elements) conspirators to the SOCONs. That a party would rather lose a seat to the Liberals in an election when every seat counted, than see MacKay be part of the partyā€™s caucus is prof of the myopia of the growing extremism of the CPC. Oā€™Toole no doubt either knew it, or is an unworthy leader for letting this happen on his watch.

I donā€™t want to sound negative but is suspect many of us will be going to our graves under a liberal sun. The LPC will be holding on to power for quite some time after this is all said and done.

73 and quite a few abstentions, from what Hannah Thibedeau said on CBCNN.

Kind of paints Oā€™Toole as either an unwitting (thus naive, and weak) or deliberate (and thus disingenuous to the small-C elements) conspirators to the SOCONs. That a party would rather lose a seat to the Liberals in an election when every seat counted, than see MacKay be part of the partyā€™s caucus is prof of the myopia of the growing extremism of the CPC. Oā€™Toole no doubt either knew it, or is an unworthy leader for letting this happen on his watch.

Yeah this totally caught me off guard. I'd think that reactiveness like this would have been well known before he was groomed to be leader.

Looks like he is done 73 votes against him.
First report from The Canadian Press ....
Conservative Party MPs voted to remove Leader Erin O'Toole from his role in a meeting on Wednesday afternoon.

Sources confirm to CTV News the Durham MP lost the vote by 119 caucus members by a count of 73-45.
From ipolitics
Erin Oā€™Toole is out as the Conservative leader.

The majority of the Tory caucus voted to remove him by secret ballot during a virtual caucus meeting on Wednesday.

ā€œThere are 119 MPs in the CPC caucus. The chair did not vote. Therefore, 118 votes were cast,ā€ caucus chair Scott Reid said in a statement.

ā€œOf these, 45 were in favour of endorsing the leadership of Erin Oā€™Toole, and 73 were in favour of replacing Erin Oā€™Toole as leader of the conservative Party.ā€

The caucus has yet to choose an interim leader ...

First report from The Canadian Press ....

From ipolitics

Hopefully he had correctly donned his parachute this morning...

yell danger island GIF by Archer

Ten more years! Ten more years! Welcome to Northern Venezuela, try to enjoy your stay.

Back