• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

All of these suggestions would require a series of Constitutional amendments. Not going to happen, at least until the house is aflame.

I'm not a fan of direct democracy. Perhaps if all 27-odd million eligible voters were engaged with the issues and took a national perspective then, maybe. Ontario, probably the GTA alone, could out vote the Maritimes every time.

Looks like some damage control. This sort of thing is a threat to PP going into the next election.

So Poilievre is taking the same stance as Trudeau did in 2014…

So are the Liberals upset the Conservative leader is taking the same position at Trudeau did, that he would make no effort whatsoever to alter the current Canadian legislation on (or lack thereof to be accurate) abortion?

So Poilievre is taking the same stance as Trudeau did in 2014…

So are the Liberals upset the Conservative leader is taking the same position at Trudeau did, that he would make no effort whatsoever to alter the current Canadian legislation on (or lack thereof to be accurate) abortion?
It’s probably more about giving the LPC ammo to use.

It did give PP the chance to be clear about his stance though.

But they’ll find a way to try and make this an issue. It wouldn’t be the first time members of the party have been useful idiots. Randy White, Cheryl Gallant…

It did give PP the chance to be clear about his stance though.

Which I feel is how he should have addressed the issue clearly, far earlier than just now in response to Vierson’s recent statement.

Looks like some damage control. This sort of thing is a threat to PP going into the next election.

Even though he's on the record saying the policy book's not Gospel, that is pretty unambiguous right from the boss' mouth right there.
... As our party's policy book, adopted by party members, has said for years, 'a Conservative Government will not support any legislation to regulate abortion.' When I am prime minister, no laws or rules will be passed that restrict women's reproductive choices. Period ... Canadians are free to love and marry who they choose. Same sex marriage is legal and it will remain legal when I am prime minister, full stop ... I will lead a small government that minds its own business, letting people make their own decisions about their love lives, their families, their bodies, their speech, their beliefs and their money. We will put people back in charge of their lives in the freest country in the world ...
Cynics'll say, "yeah, but we'll see if they play with funding conditions & stuff ...", but this is VERY clear for political speak. Credit where due.
Which I feel is how he should have addressed the issue clearly, far earlier than just now in response to Vierson’s recent statement.
Bang on - and this he's done.

Back to "haters're gonna keep hating, boosters're gonna keep boosting" ...

Somewhat related to the “MPs willingly working with foreign governments” piece in another thread.
For reference, here's the posts on the NSICOP report ....
Let's keep the discussion in this thread focused on effects or not re: PP himself and/or the party. Thanks!

Milnet.ca Staff

How one pro-Team-Red pollster/data analyst war games potential strategies against PP based on what polling shows people don't like about him ....
Also archived here - from the piece:
1717705963939.png

All of which can be thrown right back into their faces...
True - unless Team Red was lucky enough to see the current coach leave, leaving enough time to choose a truly credible leader who maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay make people look at PP differently. At this point, chances are "winning the lottery" levels of probability, but still ...

True - unless Team Red was lucky enough to see the current coach leave, leaving enough time to choose a truly credible leader who maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay make people look at PP differently. At this point, chances are "winning the lottery" levels of probability, but still ...
That is exactly the worst case for the CPC. if the LPC finds a leader that might be seen as enough “change”. PP’s approval ratings are not exactly stellar and could be a hinderance if JT exits stage left.

That is exactly the worst case for the CPC. if the LPC finds a leader that might be seen as enough “change”. PP’s approval ratings are not exactly stellar and could be a hinderance if JT exits stage left.
I think to properly combat PP, the new liberal leader would need to be one cut from the centre-left cloth of old. My fear, based on the current climate, is that the new leader would likely be more of the same, or worse, more "left" than Trudeau is. Since it's party members themselves that elect the leader, it would be interesting to get a sense (is there a poll available?) of how left the voting members of the LPC currently are. I think a lot of Canadians who right now are expressing support for the CPC would switch back to the LPC if there was a more "conservative" LPC leader. The problem is that most "centrist" or "persuadable" voters are also not those that are super engaged in party politics, and likely don't make up the bulk of the voting members of the LPC.

I think to properly combat PP, the new liberal leader would need to be one cut from the centre-left cloth of old. My fear, based on the current climate, is that the new leader would likely be more of the same, or worse, more "left" than Trudeau is. Since it's party members themselves that elect the leader, it would be interesting to get a sense (is there a poll available?) of how left the voting members of the LPC currently are. I think a lot of Canadians who right now are expressing support for the CPC would switch back to the LPC if there was a more "conservative" LPC leader. The problem is that most "centrist" or "persuadable" voters are also not those that are super engaged in party politics, and likely don't make up the bulk of the voting members of the LPC.

I think you're in the money. A Blue Liberal can save them, unfortunately I don't see one of them in the depth chart. Do you ?

I think you're in the money. A Blue Liberal can save them, unfortunately I don't see one of them in the depth chart. Do you ?
They only need someone to prevent a massacre and or hold the CPC to a minority which would be a blow to them.

Most centrists have likely been driven away or are biding their time. My choice would be Anand. She’s competent and likely just divorced enough from the in crowd to be that perceived change.

They only need someone to prevent a massacre and or hold the CPC to a minority which would be a blow to them.

Most centrists have likely been driven away or are biding their time. My choice would be Anand. She’s competent and likely just divorced enough from the in crowd to be that perceived change.
Big question, though, is do they have enough time to turn the ship around? Time will, indeed, tell ...

It used to be possible to distinguish the Trudeau-Chretien faction from the Turner-Martin faction. Who composes the latter now? Does that faction even exist anymore, or did the T-C faction manage to extinguish it?

Back