• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

Sadly, it don't seem to be broke to them, so they ain't gonna fix it yet :(

If you mean JT and JS they know its broken.

They are just riding it out for their own personal gain and at the detriment of the rest of the country.

If you mean PP and the CPC they know its broken too, and they want to fix it. But they cant.

That's what I meant. Their machines have to know it's broken, and maybe someone's even telling them so, but it feels like they don't know know themselves yet.

They know, but these kinds of powerful people will hide in thier metaphorical bunkers until the bitter end.

Its not in them to admit defeat, remember they know best. Just ask them.

Last edited:
They know, but these kinds of powerful people will hide in there metaphorical bunkers until the bitter end.

The Cleopatra syndrome: queens of denial ....

That's what I meant. Their machines have to know it's broken, and maybe someone's even telling them so, but it feels like they don't know know themselves yet.

Likely a good reason a lot of their stalwart MPs are pulling pin. Go out a winner instead of blowing big bucks and time on an election you'll probably lose anyway. You know there's trouble in the butts when guys like Angus just up and walk away. The red and orange liberals are already wearing the stink of rot and loss and lots don't want to be part of it. I think we'll see more resignations as we get closer to the election.

Likely a good reason a lot of their stalwart MPs are pulling pin. Go out a winner instead of blowing big bucks and time on an election you'll probably lose anyway. You know there's trouble in the butts when guys like Angus just up and walk away. The
The more I look at what little polling there is in N.Ontario, the more I think Angus knows what’s coming in his backyard.
… I think we'll see more resignations as we get closer to the election.
Especially among those whose pension will lock in - watch & shoot …

They know, but these kinds of powerful people will hide in thier metaphorical bunkers until the bitter end.
Berlin?

Setting aside political leanings for a second, is it just me or does the “compassion is measured in results, not from words or gestures” seem like a weird statement? I understand what he’s trying to get at about doing things to help people, but the first thing I asked myself after reading that statement and the reasoning behind it was “what happens if the attempted action fails? Does that make the intent not compassionate?”

Also, compassion is expressed in words and gestures too. If one of my co-workers lost a parent, for example, I am being compassionate if I say “I’m so sorry for your loss” and chat with them a bit. It doesn’t change the material result at all, but that’s pretty textbook “compassion”.

Setting aside political leanings for a second, is it just me or does the “compassion is measured in results, not from words or gestures” seem like a weird statement? I understand what he’s trying to get at about doing things to help people, but the first thing I asked myself after reading that statement and the reasoning behind it was “what happens if the attempted action fails? Does that make the intent not compassionate?”

Also, compassion is expressed in words and gestures too. If one of my co-workers lost a parent, for example, I am being compassionate if I say “I’m so sorry for your loss” and chat with them a bit. It doesn’t change the material result at all, but that’s pretty textbook “compassion”.
There's a fine line between words and actions.

In fact, there isn't much of a line.

The highlighted part is action, that consists entirely of words. It shows that you do in fact care, and that your previous phrase wasn't just "words".

Likewise, almost everything a politician does is words, whether they are consequential or not. Speeches vs policy, vs policy that actually results in positive results that match the speech.

A great negative example is liberals who describe themselves as feminist, forcing the topic of abortion into every election cycle, yet enact policies day after day that dramatically increase the odds that women will be sexually assaulted, such as slashing policing and justice budgets, implementing race-based decriminalization policies, allowing millions of migrants from countries and cultures where women are seen as inferiors devoid of rights, or letting fetish-oriented males intrude on female spaces.

I agree with you in regards to individual expressions of compassion because there is empathy behind them. However, institutional compassion must have a result, otherwise they are meaningless.

A political leader can say, "I am sympathetic," and that's that. If they say "We are sympathetic," unless it is followed up with actions to demonstrate that sympathy it is pointless as institutions cannot have empathy as they, as a non-living thing cannot be empathetic.

A CO telling a bereaved member the CAF supports them and is sympathetic must follow that up with action, compassionate leave, travel assistance, or similiar in order to be sincere.

Having met the man, Polievre is a weasel, but he is correct in this case.

Agreed.

But he doesn’t seem like someone who shoots off the cuff remarks and his words are carefully considered - hence my eyebrow raise on “results” vs “deeds”.
You can always have deeds without results, though. That’s the basis of the line (paraphrased & not verbatim) from “Yes Minister”: Politicians love activity. It’s their substitute for achievement.

Agreed.

But he doesn’t seem like someone who shoots off the cuff remarks and his words are carefully considered - hence my eyebrow raise on “results” vs “deeds”.
He is trying to diferente between himself and JT. JT made a lot of noise about inclusivity, but then booted any woman that challenged him. Same on economic policies, the Libs talk alot about help the average person, but we are not seeing it. One of the CPC focal points is to ease the burden on the average person and they stay laser focused on that point.

Bold move by Team Blue's coach ....
In general, Team Blue governments in the past have spent less on Indigenous files than Team Red, and results from both have been, to be polite, mixed.

Team Blue's policy book is pretty high-level when it comes to changing how things'll work on the Indigenous front (see attached for the Indigenous bits if you don't want to go through the whole book), and there's been some talk of allowing First Nations to collect taxes on stuff mined/pumped from "their lands" without defining what the lands in question are. The originators of the concept say "lands" are more than just reserve lands, which might open up the question: how do we figure out whose land is whose, and what other control would First Nations have over activities in what they consider traditional territories?

It'll be interesting to see
1) how much detail PP is willing to go into re: what he'll do as PM on the Indigenous file, and
2) how the Chiefs'll receive both him and his proposals.

Attachments

• CPC-11-2023-policy-indig.pdf
    353.3 KB · Views: 0
Bold move by Team Blue's coach ....
In general, Team Blue governments in the past have spent less on Indigenous files than Team Red, and results from both have been, to be polite, mixed.

Team Blue's policy book is pretty high-level when it comes to changing how things'll work on the Indigenous front (see attached for the Indigenous bits if you don't want to go through the whole book), and there's been some talk of allowing First Nations to collect taxes on stuff mined/pumped from "their lands" without defining what the lands in question are. The originators of the concept say "lands" are more than just reserve lands, which might open up the question: how do we figure out whose land is whose, and what other control would First Nations have over activities in what they consider traditional territories?

It'll be interesting to see
1) how much detail PP is willing to go into re: what he'll do as PM on the Indigenous file, and
2) how the Chiefs'll receive both him and his proposals.
I would think they will at least politely listen to what he has to say. They have a fair idea that he is likely the next PM, so what he says now matters. As a guess, PP is likely to champion the idea of giving First Nations the legislative tools to become economically viable, whatever that means.

I would think they will at least politely listen to what he has to say. They have a fair idea that he is likely the next PM, so what he says now matters. As a guess, PP is likely to champion the idea of giving First Nations the legislative tools to become economically viable, whatever that means.
Watch for hints of First Nations' owned pipelines and so on ...

Watch for hints of First Nations' owned pipelines and so on ...
My guess is that PP doesn’t care much who owns the mines, drilling rigs, refineries, forestry companies or pipeline companies. He wants to see resource extraction and primary processing favoured again. If the companies doing that are solidly First Nations owned- double thumbs up.

Back