• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2024 Rail Strike (or not?)

Hmmm…I always recall being told that VIA was on CN lines, but maybe the reality is ‘it depends…’ 🤷🏻‍♂️
VIA, GO, Metrolinx, etc use both CPKC & CN lines. The CPKC lines will be affected because there will be no Rail Traffic Control operating the signal systems or to give track authorities.

Latest from PM: sort it out, folks ....
1724266881889.png

More from other MSM
And a bit from Freeland

I worked for the railroad (CP) for a bit, the union is 100% justified in their demands. Rail employees are basically well-paid indentured servants, on call 24/7 with terrible work conditions, toxic management (why i hightailed out of there), draconian punishments and a good helping of corporate greed who are squeezing every penny of value out of maintenance and safety funding since the hostile takeover by Americans.

Well, I am sure that will solve everything…
…or nothing. 😉

He totally ducked anything of actual leadership…instead an “aspirational word salad” and steered well clear of his Confidence and Supply Agreement buddy Mr.BMW-Rolex’s statement that he fully supported the Union in this issue.

My understanding is that the Teamsters got what they want, they just refuse to grant any of the employers demand in return.
The employer demands include reducing the rest between shifts from 24 hours to 12 hours. That's on top of being on call 24/7 and the possibility of being called in while on leave.

I worked for the railroad (CP) for a bit, the union is 100% justified in their demands. Rail employees are basically well-paid indentured servants, on call 24/7 with terrible work conditions, toxic management (why i hightailed out of there), draconian punishments and a good helping of corporate greed who are squeezing every penny of value out of maintenance and safety funding since the hostile takeover by Americans.
Just curious how long this was?

Just curious how long this was?
Not long, a half year. I realized I made a mistake but I needed a job something fierce. I booked it as soon as I had an opportunity. What astounded me is management gets a bonus for enforcing safety regulations - which means they got a bonus for docking pay off the employees essentially. They'd make some shit up or nitpick something tiny and penalize the guy. They certainly weren't bonus chasing. All that said, it's even half as bad here as it is for American railroaders, there's a reason these American execs are pushing for the shit they're pushing for.

Not long, a half year. I realized I made a mistake but I needed a job something fierce. I booked it as soon as I had an opportunity. What astounded me is management gets a bonus for enforcing safety regulations - which means they got a bonus for docking pay off the employees essentially. They'd make some shit up or nitpick something tiny and penalize the guy. They certainly weren't bonus chasing. All that said, it's even half as bad here as it is for American railroaders, there's a reason these American execs are pushing for the shit they're pushing for.
Railways are mandated by Transport Canada to have a Safety Management System and conduct safety testing.

Be thankful it's the Company doing it usually and not Transport Canada, as their fines are WAY BIGGER, they can also lead to potential criminal charges.

People often gripe about safety testing. The reality is 99% of accidents are caused by Human Factors. People still run switches, cause derailments and accidents, leading to loss of life so we clearly need testing. I have seen A LOT of incredibly dumb stuff and it absolutely should result in some form of disciplinary action.

You are being entrusted with a 10,000 to 15,000 ton machine, that is worth millions of $$$, traveling upwards of 60mph on two little metal rails carrying, in some cases, highly dangerous chemicals and substances. Yep, standards & expectations are high, sorry not sorry.

The equipment is unforgiving and will kill you if you make a mistake:

If you're a professional and treat the job like a profession, you'll have no issues.

The railroad also used to be the most dangerous of jobs out there:

From The History Channel's "Freight Trains" on Modern Marvels:

Between 1890 and 1917, there were 230,000 on-the-job deaths of railroad employees in the United States.

Compare that to 291,557 U.S. servicemen killed in battle during World War II.

On the railroad, that comes to about 8,200 per year during that period, or 23 each day.

We have come a long way since then and the intent is to keep it that way.

Well, I am sure that will solve everything…
That's the problem. I don't think he wants it solved. It'll just add to the chaos and imposition on ordinary Canadians. It will push farmers into huge financial loss and help destroy our native agricultural industry, among other industries. This is the kind of uncertainty and strife of Canadians that he thrives on. He'll swoop in after the damage is done, impose his will and then puff out his chest as our savior. I hate this marxist ponce more every day.

That's the problem. I don't think he wants it solved. It'll just add to the chaos and imposition on ordinary Canadians. It will push farmers into huge financial loss and help destroy our native agricultural industry, among other industries. This is the kind of uncertainty and strife of Canadians that he thrives on. He'll swoop in after the damage is done, impose his will and then puff out his chest as our savior. I hate this marxist ponce more every day.
Lmao what

Meanwhile, in real life, the federal labour minister is ordering the matter to binding arbitration, and the interim extension of the current collective agreements in order to swiftly resume operations.

So who blinked more? Trudeau or Singh?
Looks like it’s a purely executive action by the minister, so the LPC didn’t need parliamentary support. Makes sense. I was off track (heh) speculating it would require back to work legislation.

It’s a no brainer decision. No party would eat this economic havoc on their watch.

Back