• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

20th Anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall

a_majoor

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
20 years since "The end of History"

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/09/opinion/09douthat.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss

Life After the End of History

By ROSS DOUTHAT
Published: November 9, 2009

For most of the last century, the West faced real enemies: totalitarian, aggressive, armed to the teeth. Between 1918 and 1989, it was possible to believe that liberal democracy was a parenthesis in history, destined to be undone by revolution, ground under by jackboots, or burned like chaff in the fire of the atom bomb.

Twenty years ago today, this threat disappeared. An East German functionary named Günther Schabowski threw open his country’s border crossings, and by nightfall the youth of Germany were dancing atop the Berlin Wall, taking hammers to its graffiti-scarred facade. It was Nov. 9, 1989. The cold war was finished.

There will be speeches and celebrations to mark this anniversary, but not as many as the day deserves. (Barack Obama couldn’t even fit a visit to Berlin into his schedule.) By rights, the Ninth of November should be a holiday across the Western world, celebrated with the kind of pomp and spectacle reserved for our own Independence Day.

Never has liberation come to so many people all at once — to Eastern Europe’s millions, released from decades of bondage; to the world, freed from the shadow of nuclear Armageddon; and to the democratic West, victorious after a century of ideological struggle.

Never has so great a revolution been accomplished so swiftly and so peacefully, by ordinary men and women rather than utopians with guns.

Twenty years later, we still haven’t come to terms with the scope of our deliverance. Francis Fukuyama famously described the post-Communist era as “the end of history.” By this, he didn’t mean the end of events — wars and famines, financial panics and terrorist bombings. He meant the disappearance of any enduring, existential threat to liberal democracy and free-market capitalism.

This thesis has been much contested, but it holds up remarkably well. Even 9/11 didn’t undo the work of ’89. Osama bin Laden is no Hitler, and Islamism isn’t in the same league as the last century’s totalitarianisms. Marxism and fascism seduced the West’s elite; Islamic radicalism seduces men like the Fort Hood shooter. Our enemies resort to terrorism because they’re weak, and because we’re so astonishingly strong.

Yet nobody seems quite willing to believe it. Instead, we keep returning to the idea that liberal society is just as vulnerable as it was before the Berlin Wall came down.

On the right, pundits and politicians have cultivated a persistent cold-war-style alarmism about our foreign enemies — Vladimir Putin one week, Hugo Chavez the next, Kim Jong-il the week after that.

On the left, there’s an enduring fascination with the pseudo-Marxist vision of global capitalism as an enormous Ponzi scheme, destined to be undone by peak oil, climate change, or the next financial bubble.

Meanwhile, our domestic politics are shot through with antitotalitarian obsessions, even as real totalitarianism recedes in history’s rear-view mirror. Plenty of liberals were convinced that a vote for George W. Bush was a vote for theocracy or fascism. Too many conservatives are persuaded that Barack Obama’s liberalism is a step removed from Leninism.

These paranoias suggest a civilization that’s afraid to reckon with its own apparent permanence. The end of history has its share of discontents — anomie, corruption, “The Real Housewives of New Jersey.” And it may be that the only thing more frightening than the possibility of annihilation is the possibility that our society could coast on forever as it is — like a Rome without an Attila to sack its palaces, or a Nineveh without Yahweh to pass judgment on its crimes.

Humankind fears judgment, of course. But we depend on it as well. The possibility of dissolution lends a moral shape to history: we want our empires to fall as well as rise, and we expect decadence to be rewarded with destruction.

Not that we want to experience this destruction ourselves. But we want it to be at least a possibility — as a spur to virtue, and as a punishment for sin.

This was how the Soviet threat often played on the home front. Remove the stain of segregation, liberals argued in the 50s, or the Communists will win the world. Repent of your hedonism and pacifism, neoconservatives urged Americans in the 70s, or the West will go the way of Finland.

Neither group wanted the United States to lose the cold war. But they wanted to inhabit a world where America could lose, and pass into history, if we failed to live up to our ideals.

This could be why we don’t celebrate the anniversary of 1989 quite as intensely as we should. Maybe we miss living with the possibility of real defeat. Maybe we sense, as we hunt for the next great existential threat, that even the end of history needs to have an end.

Mods, can the spelling of anniversary be corrected in the title?

Nixe_nixe02b.gif

I would have thought that our Thucydides would not have made that mistake. 

Get filled up with flu medication and see how easy it is to spell......

Thucydides said:
Get filled up with flu medication and see how easy it is to spell......

That's why there's spell check.  ;)

Good article, though.

I might be the only one who thinks this but to me all the celebration around the fall of the Berlin Wall seems akin to celebrating the twentieth anniversary of the release of a criminal simply because he had a cruel jailor.

Paul Gagnon said:
I might be the only one who thinks this but to me all the celebration around the fall of the Berlin Wall seems akin to celebrating the twentieth anniversary of the release of a criminal simply because he had a cruel jailor.

???

I don't follow your logic; but then again, I have been there.

George Wallace said:
???

I don't follow your logic; but then again, I have been there.

The occupation of Germany was a direct result of World War Two. The Berlin Wall was a direct result of that occupation...

Paul Gagnon said:
The occupation of Germany was a direct result of World War Two. The Berlin Wall was a direct result of that occupation...

???

So?  What does this have to do with "the release of a criminal simply because he had a cruel jailor"?  Were the Americans, the Brits and the French cruel jailors of criminals?  Were the Canadians serving in NATO cruel jailors of criminals?  Perhaps the Soviets were cruel, but they weren't jailing criminals.  I don't quite get your point. 

You don't have to agree with me but it's not that hard to figure out what I am saying.

• Germany was at war with the world.
  • The world put a stop to that war and the country was divided and occupied by four allies.
  • The occupiers didn't see eye to eye and three became enemies with one.
  • One of the occupiers put up a wall.
  • That same occupier eventually gave up trying to keep people from crossing to the west and  the wall came down.
  • Germany is reunified
  • 20 years after the Germans are celebrated for having endured behind that wall.

I'm not saying that Germany or Germans should be ostracised for all time but I think that it should have been a much more solemn occasion (taking into account the events that led to the division of the country and the existence of the wall)  than was presented.

Oh!  I see now.  That would be like us English Canadians not having to be ostracised for all time for defeating the French on the Plains of Abraham and that 1 July should be a much more solemn occasion. 

It is a celebration of a country being reunited after being divided for forty some years.

George Wallace said:
Oh!  I see now.  That would be like us English Canadians not having to be ostracised for all time for defeating the French on the Plains of Abraham and that 1 July should be a much more solemn occasion. 

That's a pretty big stretch and a cheap shot.
It is a celebration of a country being reunited after being divided for forty some years.

The official date of reunification is Oct 3rd.

Like I prefaced my original post, I may be the only one that thinks this, but like you say in your signature it is my right to have my opinion.

Actually, all that your comment showed me was how ignorant you, and quite likely the majority of North Americans, are about that portion of history.  The isolation that most have had from this portion of history is due to a few things, such as education (in our school systems) and lack of travel in an age when travel was quite easy and open.  Not meant as a cheap shot or insult, but as an observation.  I am sure that if you had spent some time there your views (or comments) would be different.  --  Just a wild guess.

I'm only going with the information that I have which, admittedly isn't a whole lot more than what is available in popular culture and the news media. That is why I am unsure if my conclusion is valid or not. Perhaps my error is in viewing the end of WW II and the rise and fall of Communism in the Eastern Bloc as separate issues.

I have never had the opportunity to travel to Germany and in the time of the Berlin Wall I was just a kid.  If you have the time I'd appreciate any insight that you have.

Back