• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

22 Measures of Leadership - New Concept?

Greymatters

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
There has ben a recent push by some leading HR companies who are offering a new leadership training concept based on the '22 measures of leadership'.

Ive been able to trace their source for this leadership concept to this document.
Age Differences in Organizational Leadership (Kabacoff, Stoffey)
- presented to the 16th Annual Conference, Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 2001
http://www.mrg.com/documents/Age_and_Leadership.pdf

Im in the middle of reading it but am interested in other opinions on this topic. 
My questions for those interested in this:
- Anyone heard of any previous theories regarding '22 measures of leadership'?
- Anyone taken a course featuring this concept, and if so, what did you think?
- How does it compare with current military leadership thinking?

Being in this 'business' as part of my civilian life, I'd be careful about the latest fad coming down the pipe. There are alot of models out there and it's important to become familiar with them before figuring out what works best for your organization.

I'd recommend taking a look at publications like 'Canadian Government Executive' which deals alot with Public Sector leadership topics. http://www.networkedgovernment.ca/

The Balanced Scorecard (Kaplan and Norton) is one very popular, and well documented, tool out there that includes a measurebale HR component tied to overall organizational performance. This article reviews how the RCMP have applied it successfully within a Candian Public Sector Environment

RCMP and the Balanced Scorecard:
Mounties attain excellence with management tool
http://www.networkedgovernment.ca/ManagementExcellenceCrookall

Anyways, good luck and be careful out there! Like the sign in Saskatchewan says "Pick your ruts well, you will be in them for the next 100 miles"

daftandbarmy said:
Being in this 'business' as part of my civilian life, I'd be careful about the latest fad coming down the pipe. There are alot of models out there and it's important to become familiar with them before figuring out what works best for your organization.

Hence my query.  When it come to leadership theory, this site has more experts on the subject than most any other place, and I was hoping someone might be familiar with the concept and whether it was an improvement over most of the pap out there... 

Well, having been in the business for a long time and worked with hundreds of clients (who all have their own favourite gurus), and having recently completed an MA in Leadership and Training which exposed me to hundreds of types of these methodologies and sources, I've never encountered this methodology before - or the authors.

However, that doesn't mean that it's no good, just not well known by me or my contacts. So I guess I can't comment on it with any authority.

Back