• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

28 Nov 16- CF-18 crash, Cold Lake - Pilot Killed

brihard

Army.ca Legend
Mentor
Reaction score
Just breaking, a CF-18 went down over Cold Lake. Condition of the pilot unknown, active SAR believed in progress. 417 Sqn working to secure the crash site.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/cf-18-fighter-jet-crashes-near-cold-lake-1.3180360

A friendly reminder ...

Attachments

• BreakingNewsCaveats.jpg
    BreakingNewsCaveats.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 621
Yup. Thy're quoting CAF on the crash and the rescue efforts though, so this ain't BS.

CBC news has reported that the Commander of the Air Force has confirmed the pilot did not survive the crash. Condolences to the family.

CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Monday, November 28, 2016 2:26PM EST
Last Updated Monday, November 28, 2016 3:02PM EST

A pilot is dead after a Canadian fighter jet crashed near Cold Lake, Alta.

RCAF commander Michael Hood says the pilot died in the accident. Hood was appearing at a Senate committee when news of the crash broke.

Cold Lake is the site of a major Canadian air force base on the border between Alberta and Saskatchewan.

A pilot positions a CF-18 Hornet at CFB Cold Lake, in Cold Lake, Alta. on October 21, 2014. (Jason Franson / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

A spokesman for the Canadian Armed Forces said the crash happened Monday morning inside the Cold Lake Air Weapons Range in Saskatchewan.

"4 Wing emergency services, including 417 Combat Support Squadron, are currently en route to secure the area of the crash," Capt. Mat Strong wrote in an email.

MPs discussed the crash solemnly during question period.

Conservative defence critic James Bezan called the crash a "terrible, terrible accident," and asked Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan for an update.

"I have been receiving reports while I've been sitting here. When I have more information, I will update Canadians and this House," Sajjan said.

"Our hearts and prayers are with the families."

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/pilot-killed-as-cf-18-crashes-near-cold-lake-1.3180360

R.I.P.  :salute:

High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air. . . .​
Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.​
— John Gillespie Magee, Jr

Condolences to the pilot's family, comrades and friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Condolences to family, colleagues & friends  :salute:

Condolences to the pilot's family, friends and comrades.  Sad day.  :salute:

RIP  :cdn:

Condolences to the family, friends and loved ones, and to our Fighter community.

Pilot killed in CF-18 crash was 10-year veteran, engaged to be married

'I can tell you first hand how much of a incredible person he was,' 4 Wing commander says.

The Canadian Forces pilot killed in Monday's fatal fighter jet crash near Cold Lake, Alta., was a 10-year veteran flying a routine training mission.

Capt. Thomas McQueen was engaged to be married soon, said Col. Paul Doyle, commander of 4 Wing Cold Lake.

McQueen's CF-18  went down Monday on the the Cold Lake Air Weapons Range, which straddles the Alberta-Saskatchewan border.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/cf-18-cold-lake-crash-canadian-forces-1.3872347

Baden Guy said:
Pilot killed in CF-18 crash was 10-year veteran, engaged to be married

'I can tell you first hand how much of a incredible person he was,' 4 Wing commander says.

The Canadian Forces pilot killed in Monday's fatal fighter jet crash near Cold Lake, Alta., was a 10-year veteran flying a routine training mission.

Capt. Thomas McQueen was engaged to be married soon, said Col. Paul Doyle, commander of 4 Wing Cold Lake.

McQueen's CF-18  went down Monday on the the Cold Lake Air Weapons Range, which straddles the Alberta-Saskatchewan border.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/cf-18-cold-lake-crash-canadian-forces-1.3872347

My condolences to the Family and the fiancé, tragic loss.

Back