• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

3 March 2005 - Four RCMP Murdered at Seized Marijuana Grow-Op

54/102 CEF said:
John Diefenbaker used to say

Mary Jane leads to heroin

I say

Drugs = the front end of terrorist organisations

Now there is something I can agree with.

Anyone who wants to debate drugs you need look no further than this tragic chain of events to see why drugs are bad! [sarcasm] Meh, marijuana is a benign drug, doesn't harm anyone[/sarcasm]....give your bloody head a shake.

That aside, the facts are not in, alot of this is just speculation. Right now thoughts should be with the victims families and coworkers.

"Right now thoughts should be with the victims families and coworkers."

Exactly.

too me, it sounds a lot like this suspect was very well known locally as a slimeball.
I heard someone on the press conferences refer to organized crime,
but this suspect sounds like the small time sort.

It sounds like the RCMP went there looking for stolen property and found plants
in the garage.  Given the number of officers on the property when the shooting
started, it sounds like they were very familiar with the suspect, probably for B&E
and other property crimes.  Having even two or three officers at this suspects
garage overnight in small town is a major chunk of manpower.

I'm sure there will be lots of warranted debate over MJ the next few days. However,
this doesn't initially sound like any sort of organized professional grow-op to me.

Also unless the police were wearing upgraded body armour a highpowered rifle will go through a normal vest like a hot knife through butter.

CFL said:
"Right now thoughts should be with the victims families and coworkers."

Exactly.

Very true. I am shocked of this tragedy. That must be a first for the RCMP having this many of its members lost in such a way at one time.

I lived in Regina for many years, and I was often out at Depot Division on Dewdney Avenue, and in later years the Armoury also.

A former CF SNCO and friend of mine was accepted into the Mounties, and in 2000, when I was back for a visit, myself and Nancy were invited to his grad ceremony and dinner in the Drill Hall. What a fantastic time. I was honoured to see this tradition first hand.

Truly a dark day for not only the Mounties, but law enforcement from coast to coast.

Regards,

Wes

"High-Powered rifle' Could've even been an old 30.06 hunting rifle using ball ammo. That would penetrate kevlar wouldnt it? It looks like it was a turkey shoot judging by the crime scene aeiral photos. He'd have to stay out of range of their 9mm service pistols, clear field of fire....

Wake-up call for everybody. Time to start properly arming our officers for drug raids. I'm guessing a C8 would have made a world of difference.

Wesley H. Allen said:
Very true. I am shocked of this tragedy. That must be a first for the RCMP having this many of its members lost in such a way at one time.

Very True Wes,

CBC had an interview with the RCMP's deputy commissioner for Alberta, and he commented it was probably
the worst single accident loss for the force since the Northwest Rebellion.

So this will become a dark day for the force on the history calender.
For the force, they should declare a day of mourning.

old medic said:
It sounds like the RCMP went there looking for stolen property and found plants
in the garage.  Given the number of officers on the property when the shooting
started, it sounds like they were very familiar with the suspect, probably for B&E
and other property crimes.  Having even two or three officers at this suspects
garage overnight in small town is a major chunk of manpower.

The commander of the RCMP said that they were there not there for stolen property but for contraband such as mj and mj growing equipment. A four member team is pretty normal to be sent out for these types of raids because rarely does anything like this happen (this is infact the biggest loss to the RCMP since 1910, during an artic patrol).

Baloo said:
Don't try to bring the Liberals into this, for the love of God. This is hard enough for people, without there being political comments and that our government is somehow on the same level as the growers, or in this case, murderer. Don't play off the sorrow to get in a cheap shot.
Sorry, I didn't really make myself clear. I meant that in one part of the country four police officers died doing their job, enforcing a law, and in another part of the country a group is saying that the law these police officers died enforcing should be abolished.

Apologies, Atticus. I agree with what you are saying, now that I better understand you. Just upset about this, so I wasn't thinking.

Its now even being picked up here on the news already. The Mounties have international recognition, as they are a part of Canada's identity, and have a great reputation throughout the world.

Regards,

Wes

This is not a political message.
What it recommends probably is the best way to show respect for the fallen.

Today is indeed a very sad day.

Pretty powerful and no doubt will spawn alot of debate.

But debate can wait for now.

We have been involved in a number of grow'op situations in the last few years.  In fact I was just talking with a couple of RCMP a few weeks ago concerning a rural residence they had under suspicion.  We've always viewed these rural grow'ops as rank amatures to be treated as a bit of a joke.  Our trade is already ranked on the high end on the most hazadous occupations with last year being one of the worst in a number of years for fatalities particuliarly in the US.  (There were three in Dec alone. Two were electrocution and one was a fall.  Nothing to do with grow'ops)

My guess is the RCMP had they same view that we had prior to this tradegy.  The dangerous guys were in the cities.  I'm sure that the Power Co that I work will have some new directives for both the Meter Readers and the Linemen very quickly.

"Anyone who wants to debate drugs you need look no further than this tragic chain of events to see why drugs are bad! [sarcasm] Meh, marijuana is a benign drug, doesn't harm anyone[/sarcasm]....give your bloody head a shake."

RIP - sleep well my brothers
1VP deployed troops and vehicles as well as 1CER

Maybe now the CF will look a little closer at its own drug problem...

My condolences to the family and friends of the RCMP officers that were killed in the line of duty.

I doubt the CF has a clue as to the drug use in its ranks Kevin but I suppose that's another thread.

It's certainly the worst RCMP loss of life in a long time. A school friend of mine had the sad distiction of being a victim of one of the worst RCMP tragedies, when her father was one of three RCMP constables killed by a gunman in 1963.

They are, in many ways, brothers in arms. They shall not grow old, as we who are left grow old....

Acorn

Also, I was wondering when has the military been called in for police support when something has gone wrong, other than protest?

In 1 PPCLI we deployed several Bisons, crews, etc to support the RCMP during the standoff at Gustafsen Lake, BC, in which Sgt Schlueter injured himself. While the op is still classified, it was a very dangerous confrontation with heavily armed people: hundreds if not thousands of rounds were fired, although fortunately there were no casualties.

The Army also mounted a major operation (Op GRIZZLY) to support the G8 Conference security in Kananaskis, west of Calgary, in 2003. The lead agency was the RCMP:  JTF GRIZZLY was in support to them. The details of that op also remain classified but I can assure you we were planning and training for big things. FFortunatelyalmost nothing happened.

This is a terrible loss for the RCMP: too bad the murderer isn't around to face the music.

Cheers. :salute: :cdn:

Back