• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

44 year old and out of shape :(

MummaBear

Inactive
Reaction score
I am 44 and I in college. Two weeks ago I did a presentation about recruiting in the military and the need for diversity for my Human Resources class. It made me want to try to join myself. Funny enough, for the first time since I moved here 7 years ago, there is a Recruiter coming to our little town tomorrow.
I'm taking it as a sign. ;) ;)
I will be done school at the end of March and as it stands my class average is about 94%
I am absolutely out of shape.
I would love any tips or advice on what to ask him tomorrow as well as any helpful hints about getting ready fitness wise.
Thanks in advance!!

I'd say go for it! I'm 44 tomorrow (still feel 29!!)  8), and I applied to the Reserves the beginning of October. At this point, I've done all the initial paperwork, medical, interview and FORCE test and just waiting for my medical results to return from Ottawa. I first applied for Regular Forces back in 2011, so my CFAT score was high then and is still valid and didn't have to redo it this time. I did 5 weeks of BMQ in St. Jean back in 2011. As far as fitness goes, I've been working on my cardio and upper body strength. I like hiking and backpacking in the mountains, so my legs are pretty good. Just my upper body needs some work, as I sit all day at a computer at my day job! I set up a home gym with a weight bench, and an exercise bike. Cutting back on the alcohol and drinking a lot more water. Go online to learn how to increase your fitness to at least the minimum fitness standard, recently changed to the FORCE test. Replicate these exercises with healthy cardio, endurance, walking, running, and lifting weights.
https://www.cfmws.com/en/aboutus/psp/dfit/fitness/forceprogram/pages/force_videos.aspx

Focus alot on running and body-weight exercises. That's mostly what you'll be doing at BMQ and trade training. Try to be able to run 5km without stopping, and 2.4 km in something like 20 minutes (arbitrary number), and try to get 25 pushups without stopping. Also deadlifts help a lot just learn how to do them with proper technique.

Or try and build slowly. At 44, you're different than you were at 24 and the body might not like being shocked into a new fitness regime, especially where running is concerned. Trust me, I speak from first hand experience. I've always been somewhat fit, but started a push with running and more weights back in late summer. Not too long before I was completely sidelined because my knees were killing me, something that has never happened, even with a pretty active job.

YMMV, but I am advising caution and a slow and steady approach. Injure yourself and you will not get past the application stage.

Scott said:
Or try and build slowly. At 44, you're different than you were at 24 and the body might not like being shocked into a new fitness regime, especially where running is concerned. Trust me, I speak from first hand experience. I've always been somewhat fit, but started a push with running and more weights back in late summer. Not too long before I was completely sidelined because my knees were killing me, something that has never happened, even with a pretty active job.

YMMV, but I am advising caution and a slow and steady approach. Injure yourself and you will not get past the application stage.
Actually this is really good advice. You can try to push your limits but you have to know them first. It's ok to wait a while before you do your FORCE test if you're not ready. You can try setting that up some sort of makeshift FORCE right now to see if you can pass it and if not you can just tell your recruiter you're not ready if you're not. That should be your main focus right now because if you don't pass the FORCE (I think you get 2 retries? Would like it if someone could confirm this) you won't be able to get into any trade.

37.5 year old here, and also looking at joining. I am in decent shape, but that's from years of powerlifting. Cardio is shit! ::)
What I changed to get into the army fit bit, is I dropped all gym stuff and (as mentioned) focused on just bodyweight stuff and running.

Couch to 5k is a great start as someone said, and then go to 10k.

When I was younger I was in the military in sweden so I started doing our morning routine again which consists of 4 exercises for time. Start at 1 minute each, then go up to 2 minutes each. Go fast tempo or slow tempo, as long as you're still moving it's ok.
And rest for the same time.
Start with abs, then lower back (dorsal raises), then pushups then lunges, step ups or squats.
I've been doing this a month or two now and I am already feeling much more mobile.
I vary my running distances and tempo between 1.5 miles and 3 miles. I've started adding hills too now (all done on treadmill).

Have a look at the FORCES test on youtube and grab something heavy like a kettlebell or dumbbell and practice the moves you need to do, either at home or in the gym.

Good luck, and the sooner you start, the sooner you'll start feeling strong! It's very empowering and motivating!! ;D ;D

Thank you, everyone, for all the great advice! It is really appreciated. :D
The meeting went well, and the recruiters were very friendly and helpful. I showed up with a binder full of research and lots of questions lol.
I applied online right after the meeting. ;)
Classes end for me Feb, 9th but I have co-op until March 23rd. I have until then to get my lazy butt in better shape and until January 10th to refresh myself in grade 10 math and algebra as that's when I will be taking my CFAT. He wanted me to come in earlier, but I have heard that it's a really tough test and I want to prepare. Between that and my normal classes, my poor brain may explode.  :Tin-Foil-Hat:
Thank you again!!

I am going to be 45 in October and will be meeting with my recruitment officer tomorrow to review my application paperwork.

While I would certainly not consider myself "out of shape", I feel like I have quite a lot of work to do to get into the kind of shape that I feel would make me an asset to my team. To that end, I am swimming and running in addition to the weight training I did before my decision to enlist was made. I wholeheartedly recommend you keep moving and concentrate on natural and functional movements that will limber and stretch. Cardio-vascular fitness will be, of course, critical; and is probably the issue we'll have to stare down first and foremost.

I believe that enlistment for men of our "vintage" is an excellent opportunity to stave off some of the encroaching softness inherent in the complacency of middle age. I certainly have my reservations about the physical demands; and it has been several (*several*) years since I have had to operate in any way and with any substantial responsibility while deprived of sleep.

Good.

I enlisted only 3 weeks ago, there is a guy in our PAT platoon who is a hair over 50. I am mid 30s there is another guy mid 30s and , everyone else is 20s and under.

I would say check your diet, no sugary drinks. Stick to water, treat your self with a glass of juice maybe once per day. Coffee or tea (black is ok) but watch your blood pressure.

Start running, you will be expected to run 5km in under 30mins (aim for 22-25mins). 2.5 km time should be in the 10-12 minute range.

Ideally you would like to be able to run for an hour non stop, that doesn't mean you need to run 10km in that hour, but if you can get to the point of running for an hour you'll be fine. You can find many running programs online (learning to run).

Secondly you're going to want to do pushups, generally they don't make us do more than 30 in a row, however if you're not fast enough when pushups are done (to standing position) they may make the group do them again.

Again if you're not good at pushups, the system I used was to accumulate 200 in a day (because I am unable to do 50 in a row).

Basically I start at 8am and do 10-15 pushups, then 30 mins later another 10-15 etc. Until you accumulate 200 total. Do that for 10 days that take a 3 day break.

Repeat, eventually you'll be able to do 50 no problem.

If you can manage the running, and the pushups you'll be fine.

Another thing I like to do to keep inline with what we do is when I am running, I will immediately stop at 1km, drop and do 10-15 pushups, then immediately get back up and run another 1km and repeat. Do that for 4-5 km.

Again if you're out of shape you'll have to ease into this, however it's a great goal to get to.

Back