• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

.50 on CF helicopters

I know 3 guys who got on, one armoured, two infantry. I have no clue how the selection process is made, as both people I asked said the exact same thing (as previously stated) "Right place right time".  :'(

If it's actually made into a MOSID I would love to see the tsunami of applications...*sigh* including mine. Ha ha!

I have two buddies who are doing this, both infantry reservists on Class B for a couple years. It was literally a matter of the class B opportunities were posted, and quickly snapped up by those who heard of them first. It's temporary positions being filled in because frankly it would be a waste of skilled aircrew to have them sit behind a gun- whereas infantry reservists seeking work are a dime a dozen, and generally are already familiar with MGs to some extent.

One of the guys I know previously did the job on tour. He was sitting on replacement pool in Oscar Coy for TF 3-08 when an NCO walked in and baldly asked "Who wants to be a helicopter door gunner?" He was met with crickets- it sounded too much like a "Who likes ice cream?". Eventually my buddy and a couple other guys cautiously put their hands up- and away they went to be helicopter door gunners.

It's not an armoured position or any such thing- they're door gunners and that's all.

The observer position on the Kiowa was an Armoured NCM's job.  That is because they conducted the age-old RAPZ recce with the Loach.

Zoomie said:
The observer position on the Kiowa was an Armoured NCM's job.  That is because they conducted the age-old RAPZ recce with the Loach.

Also some gunners too don't forget, given AOP and ABFAC were also LOH tasks, but you're right...mostly armoured, with a number of tankers who OT'd to PLT after serving as observers and seeing how aviation was the best of both Army and Air Force for those so inclined.

There is not a hard DG MOSID, nor do I think there ever will be one.  Qualification, sure.  Trade, no. 

While some may critique LGen(Ret'd) Leslie as being anti-Reserve, this was a case where LGen Leslie as CLS made the case to CAS why he wanted to provide the DG capability primarily through the Reserves as a motivational perk.  There were some RegF DG's, but the majority were PRes folks.

Regards
G2G

Nemecek said:
Ugh... Can you carry it then? I don't really want to go bush-bashing with that bad boy slung on my back!
HMGs are not really suited to the dismounted role. You can carry them for short distances. My vision on the HMG is vehicle borne, then dismounted to where its needed, then mount up and carry on....similar to mortars.

You will note from my profile photo that:

1) not all door gunners are from the Army

2) not all door gunners are NCMs

3) not all door guns are on green helicopters

;)

My tour had at least two reservists as door gunners. They were told in no uncertain terms that it was competitive and they may not make it. Neither did - the guy from my regiment was sent to BG and the guy from FGH came to my platoon. It seems they ended up short, and my regiment got another guy in who actually deployed, and in his words "made a lot of grape juice." The tour was longer too - the TF returned in May, and he returned in August.

Brihard said:
I have two buddies who are doing this, both infantry reservists on Class B for a couple years. It was literally a matter of the class B opportunities were posted, and quickly snapped up by those who heard of them first. It's temporary positions being filled in because frankly it would be a waste of skilled aircrew to have them sit behind a gun- whereas infantry reservists seeking work are a dime a dozen, and generally are already familiar with MGs to some extent.

One of the guys I know previously did the job on tour. He was sitting on replacement pool in Oscar Coy for TF 3-08 when an NCO walked in and baldly asked "Who wants to be a helicopter door gunner?" He was met with crickets- it sounded too much like a "Who likes ice cream?". Eventually my buddy and a couple other guys cautiously put their hands up- and away they went to be helicopter door gunners.

It's not an armoured position or any such thing- they're door gunners and that's all.

SeaKingTacco said:
You will note from my profile photo that:

1) not all door gunners are from the Army

2) not all door gunners are NCMs

3) not all door guns are on green helicopters

;)

Well SKT, technically, using "from" in the organizationally 'begat' sense, you should only be claiming #2 and #3...

;) ;)

DG is becoming an off shoot specialty (similar to Cbt Diver or Jumper) and will most likely be called Air Gnr - with roots to WWII Air Gunners on the bombers.  It will be manned solely by Cbt Arms NCMs, Cpl - Sgt with a WO potentially as section comd.  Tour experience preferred as they are the SMEs on the ground if it were to come to that - which draws on CH147 Afghan experiences.  Tac Hel Sqns on High Readiness will have a section complement assigned to them. No word on how 450 will crack this nut yet.

HH

Back