• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

521 Radio Programming Software and Windows 7

Somewhere on the DWAN is a list of all the software that has been tested with Win 7.  There have been several requests / directives to identify all mission critical software to ensure it is still compatible.

I'd start o nthe ADM(IM) homepage, then look for the Windows 7 rollout information page; should be links there.

And I'm in a good mood, I'll post http://dsblcsf.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/apps/default.asp?ID=4 and let you look there...

I think that's the official repository.

Better question.... people still use 521s on a regular enough basis to need the software???  ;D

We still have quite a few 521s here so I keep the software handy just in case. I have only used it once to see if a 521 was a master/slave. They are rarely used. In fact I can't even remember using them in the field, or even issuing them to anyone for use.

And if the software is not compatible I would worry about the competency of communication and information "consultants" who don't ensure the serviceability and usability of communications equipment is maintained through the life cycle.

Windows 7 has a compatability mode, but when you're using radio equipment designed and built in the 90s, sometimes you're going to get software that won't work with OSes built in the late 2000s.

If you're an ammo tech and worrying about this, I'm worrying about you!

I didn't see a question. Just a sarcastic remark intended to make incite a reaction.

You couldn't put this garbage in the thread it came from originally? There's a few other posts here you can follow me on to.

MOOXE.........just a friendly warning to wind in your neck. You've been the site dickhead today.
Thanks,
Bruce
Staff

A fool for coming back to this forum for sure. If I remembered how sensitive people were here I would'nt of come back.

MOOXE,

Can.community.military this forum ain't!

Miss it, though....

My question: if the software is not compatible will you avoid the upgrade?

I would suggest once the first computer gets swapped over, attempt to install the software on it and be the "beta tester".  If it doesn't work, then do your best to convince the chain of command that you keep at least one laptop unaltered and label it as "521 laptop only".

Do you not use dedicated standalone laptops to program your radios?  I ask because I know the Navy and the Air Force have specific standalone systems which have remained untouched with regards to OS upgrades, because the software they were meant to support isn't supported on newer OSes.

Bzzliteyr said:
My question: if the software is not compatible will you avoid the upgrade?

I would suggest once the first computer gets swapped over, attempt to install the software on it and be the "beta tester".  If it doesn't work, then do your best to convince the chain of command that you keep at least one laptop unaltered and label it as "521 laptop only".
Occam said:
Do you not use dedicated standalone laptops to program your radios?  I ask because I know the Navy and the Air Force have specific standalone systems which have remained untouched with regards to OS upgrades, because the software they were meant to support isn't supported on newer OSes.

Most Reserve units, other than some Sig units I suppose, don't have the resources to source a standalone laptop. You're lucky to get one to teach a lesson let alone dedicate it to programming radios. And given that Reserves are usually the ones that get the hand me downs no one else wants, they will likely be the ones that are still using 521's the most. A typical Catch-22 for Reserves and equipment.

Surely with the number of DWAN laptops being life cycled in DND (I think they're on a 4 year plan), some could be diverted from disposal to support Res units.  A four year old laptop today would still be running XP, and it should work just fine with most radio programming software.  Sure, Computers for Schools will end up with fewer laptops heading their way, but at least it would prevent Res units from having to expend funds on standalone laptops for radio programming utilities or e-readers.

You would think that, but some units have a hard enough time just life cycling their equipment, let alone diverting some to remain as standalones. My Dell D600 laptops just don't cut it anymore.

PuckChaser said:
You would think that, but some units have a hard enough time just life cycling their equipment, let alone diverting some to remain as standalones. My Dell D600 laptops just don't cut it anymore.

D600s?  They were on their way out when I was working 1st line support in 2007.  Someone higher up the chain isn't doing their job right.

Back