• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

521 Radio Programming Software and Windows 7

Occam said:
D600s?  They were on their way out when I was working 1st line support in 2007.  Someone higher up the chain isn't doing their job right.

Are you saying I can turn in my palm pilot and get a new one?

I'm sure there's a museum somewhere that would give you top dollar for it.  Didn't they run on vacuum tube technology?  ;D 

I would be very surprised if it didn't work, given the simplicity of the program. Plus Windows 7 can still run most Win 95 and Win 3.1 era programs both natively and in compatibility modes.

Your more difficult task is going to be finding laptops with serial ports, as they are hard to find now. C-30/CF-31s still have them as they are an industrial/commercial class PC.

PuckChaser said:

I've bought some out of my own pocket and tried them, they don't work unless you install the software drivers. If it is an issue the drivers can be installed, check with local help desk. If local help desk doesn't know how, have them submit an RFC for the driver software which will be approved. Takes time and persistence but can be done and implemented within a month.

My recommendation is to get laptops with serial ports. Signals side they are basically mandatory as you need them to interface with switches, UPS's, Sat recievers and almost any green piece of equipment.

I've used a USB-serial adaptor to program 521 and tk190 radios, no issues. Just need to select the right comm port.

Also use them civi side for similar purpose, also no issue. They usually show up in comm 3 or 4, most software looks for serial communications on comm 2.

Back